Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Barclaycard.  (Read 5275 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Barclaycard.
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2021, 14:12:40 »

That's not the banks fault. You tell them that you're travelling, where to and when. Can do it on the app usually.

And not taking any currency with you is plain daft.

You can tell them, but your card will still get declined the first time you stick it in an ATM when you arrive at your sunny destination.....  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 04 May 2021, 14:17:06 »

https://www.dollar.com/DaveRamsey/Main.aspx

Also, if you have to use a credit card for work, then work should issue you with one. Otherwise you are effectively becoming a creditor for your employer.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2021, 14:17:50 »

That's not the banks fault. You tell them that you're travelling, where to and when. Can do it on the app usually.

And not taking any currency with you is plain daft.

You can tell them, but your card will still get declined the first time you stick it in an ATM when you arrive at your sunny destination.....  ::)
Never had an issue with Nationwide.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 04 May 2021, 14:19:56 »

How is using a separate debit card with a couple of grand on it mathematically any different to using a credit card and 'paying it off every month'? to pay for hotels etc?

The suggestion that you need a credit card to travel is just plain wrong.

And for someone who claims not to have a mobile phone or use the interweb, Malcolm certainly likes to leave an electronic papertrail ;D

They either won't accept Debit cards, or will but they actually DO take the deposit money rather than just pre authorise it. That incurs foreign exchange transaction costs - typically 2.75% on a Debit card plus often a duff exchange rate. Santander Zero and Halifax Clarity have interbank exchange rates and zero forex loading. Withdraw the cash, and repay it immediately (well ASAP) and you pay pennies in interest, rather than pounds in Forex commission.

The electronic paper trail ceases once I leave the airport. No point in trying to avoid it at an airport with all the APD/Visa/fake security. Then take some cash out the hole in the wall (on a CC, zero forex) pick up the car, and vanish (well except for ANPR, or the in car tracker in Israel).

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 04 May 2021, 15:19:30 »

How is using a separate debit card with a couple of grand on it mathematically any different to using a credit card and 'paying it off every month'? to pay for hotels etc?

The suggestion that you need a credit card to travel is just plain wrong.

And for someone who claims not to have a mobile phone or use the interweb, Malcolm certainly likes to leave an electronic papertrail ;D

They either won't accept Debit cards, or will but they actually DO take the deposit money rather than just pre authorise it. That incurs foreign exchange transaction costs - typically 2.75% on a Debit card plus often a duff exchange rate. Santander Zero and Halifax Clarity have interbank exchange rates and zero forex loading. Withdraw the cash, and repay it immediately (well ASAP) and you pay pennies in interest, rather than pounds in Forex commission.

The electronic paper trail ceases once I leave the airport. No point in trying to avoid it at an airport with all the APD/Visa/fake security. Then take some cash out the hole in the wall (on a CC, zero forex) pick up the car, and vanish (well except for ANPR, or the in car tracker in Israel).
As we have learned over time, you are wasting your breath, Malcolm. Just let him live in his own little universe  ;D
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 04 May 2021, 16:45:25 »

When I travelled a lot for work. I used to take 6 cards with me. Two visa debits (either Halifax or HSBC plus NatWest) and four credits, Visa, MasterCard, a corporate Amex and Diners Club (ok, technically a charge card  :-X).

I always told my providers when I was travelling, either via phone or app. However that didn't stop them regularly (probably 40% of the time) stopping my debit cards on first use in a foreign country.

I can think of at least two occasions (Hong Kong and Brazil) where I would have been completely donald ducked without the credit cards to hand, when one debit card was blocked on first use, and the other one eaten entirely by a different atm. As LC0112G points out, no one card provider is universal, something I only found out after my trip to Brazil, where basically no-one accepts VISA.

No such thing as a free lunch :-X

I'm well aware that my freebies are funded by other users' monthly interest payments, which is why, like any other tool, credit cards should be used properly. They do have benefits that other payment methods don't, but also plenty of opportunity to get yourself in a mess. Caveat emptor and all that jazz.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 04 May 2021, 17:07:40 »

I'm well aware that my freebies are funded by other users' monthly interest payments, which is why, like any other tool, credit cards should be used properly. They do have benefits that other payment methods don't, but also plenty of opportunity to get yourself in a mess. Caveat emptor and all that jazz.

Retailers also get charged by the CC company. Depending how good a deal they can negotiate it's often in the 2%-3% region. So whilst it's true that you (usually) aren't paying any more for the goods or service you're receiving when paying by CC, it's not true that the CC company isn't making any money out of your spending. They don't make all their money simply oy fools not paying their bills in full at the end of the month.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 04 May 2021, 17:21:56 »

Retailers also get charged by the CC company. Depending how good a deal they can negotiate it's often in the 2%-3% region. So whilst it's true that you (usually) aren't paying any more for the goods or service you're receiving when paying by CC, it's not true that the CC company isn't making any money out of your spending. They don't make all their money simply oy fools not paying their bills in full at the end of the month.
Not quite as high as that for everyday transactions, but additional charges can soon mount up:

https://cardmachine.co.uk/credit-card-charges-for-small-business/
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 04 May 2021, 17:31:41 »

Not quite as high as that for everyday transactions, but additional charges can soon mount up:

https://cardmachine.co.uk/credit-card-charges-for-small-business/

Ok, accepted. It was a few years ago when I was talking to a local small pub/resturaunt owner and he said he was paying about 2.5%. Perhaps things have got cheaper/more competitive since then. Even so, the page you've linked to implies 1.3% for CC, or 0.7% for debit. My monthly CC bill is typically around £600, so they are making about £8 per month from me even though I always pay off in full on time. Which reminds me - new month - need to pay mine now.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 04 May 2021, 17:48:15 »

Can't be bothered to look right now (The chase looks like Paul Sinna could get a hiding) but I think they were made to lower the charges.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 04 May 2021, 20:56:28 »

I think you're right Ste, it was about the same time that all the best Amex deals disappeared (I think they were guilty of charging more than most.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 04 May 2021, 21:37:04 »

I used to have a Cardnet facility via my Lloyd's business account. They'd take a percentage of every transaction, variable according to the card brand/type, plus a monthly service fee (about a tank of fuel iirc) plus the same again for being able to accept Amex. And that was all on top of the account fees >:(

In the end I got rid of the Amex facility and switched to PayPal Here... No service fee, they just kept back a modest percentage of each transaction.

Banks are hateful. They insist you process transactions via xyz card payments, then charge you for the privilege, they take a percentage for transfers and charge you for paying in cash etc and God forbid if you pay a cheque in. And that's all in addition to the service fees/ppi on the cards people are paying with.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 05 May 2021, 13:57:16 »

What's a cheque?  ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 May 2021, 14:16:57 »

Ha it's still common over in the States to have to wait for someone to have to write out a cheque at the supermarket checkout!  :o  ::)

Couldn't believe it the first time I saw it.  A middle aged woman rummaging around in an oversized handbag for what I assumed was her purse ( Why do women never have their card ready?  ::) ) and she pulled out a chequebook FFS!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 05 May 2021, 15:17:11 »

Ha it's still common over in the States to have to wait for someone to have to write out a cheque at the supermarket checkout!  :o  ::)

Couldn't believe it the first time I saw it.  A middle aged woman rummaging around in an oversized handbag for what I assumed was her purse ( Why do women never have their card ready?  ::) ) and she pulled out a chequebook FFS!  ;D

I caused a little upset when I'd to pay my ground rent last year and asked for his bank details. I told him that I now only ever write one cheque a year & that was for him and as I'd now run out of cheques (it was a lie  ::)) I wasn't prepared to order another cheque book to pay him once a year. He reluctantly agreed.  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.