Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.0 16V engine management light on  (Read 1249 times)

simond

• View Profile
2.0 16V engine management light on
« on: 06 September 2008, 13:59:11 »

Hello

I sold my mother in law our Omega 1998 2.0i 16v Auto (pre facelift) about 7 years ago.

On Wednesday the engine management light came on, at first sometimes, but now it comes on whenever the engine is started and stays on.

They took it to the local Vauxhall main dealer (it has covered 58K and has been main dealer serviced from new) and they plugged in their fault code reader.

Apparently no faults were logged, and they say that there is little more they can do in so far as diagnostics are concerned within the realms of what is economically viable on an old car.

I have read through the forum over the last two months, and the FAQs etc.  I have not done the paperclip test because the car isn't here and the dealer used the diagnostics only yesterday - there are no discernable driving defects other than a slight exhaust blow from the flexi on the front pipes.

To use a popular phrase 'it would be a shame to scrap it'.  

My in laws are old and the light worries them that they will break down.  They will have to scrap the car if it cannot be fixed.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Edit:  I have tried unplugging a few conectors and have also cleaned up the earth bonding point under the battery carrier this morning, this made no difference  :'(
« Last Edit: 06 September 2008, 14:00:51 by simond »

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 16V engine management light on
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2008, 14:16:41 »

Hi Mate,
Get the paperclip test done and post up the results. If the front pipe is blowing at the flexi sounds more like you need to replace the front pipe/cat, that might be why the EML light is on.

HTH

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2008, 14:33:10 »

Wtf are they on about? Economically viable for the age of the car, and no codes... 'dangle berries'! They are trying to scare them into buying a new car. Do a paper clip test mate. Go from there. At 60k its got loads of life in it, even if it has HG problem, which is a fairly cheap diy fix anyway. Keep out of the front door of the dealers, only ever go in the parts door round the back. Dealers,sorry, but they really get me cooking.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2008, 14:49:25 »

Errr...

'On Wednesday the engine management light came on, at first sometimes, but now it comes on whenever the engine is started and stays on'

followed by:-

'Apparently no faults were logged'

May I suggest that Vx never even plugged their Tech II in as there will be codes, lamp or no lamp as long as the lamp has been on less than 20 clean restarts ago!

Whereabouts are you? there may be someone with a scan tool close by  :y
« Last Edit: 06 September 2008, 14:50:26 by VXL_V6 »

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2008, 15:39:57 »

I'd guess at either cam or crank sensor, but the paperclip test will reveal all - or at least it will give a very big clue!

I was told once by a Vauxhall garage that despite the light was actually on when they plugged in to it (98 Vectra, some years ago) there were no faults - I think that what they meant was there were no current faults.  Cam/crank sensors can play up when they're warming up (with the rest of the engine), then start working again...for a while.

IF its the cam sensor, i think they're around £40 - just so you have a clue to cost IF thats the problem (It is a favourite with the 2.0 16v)
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2008, 20:20:28 »

Wtf are they on about? Economically viable for the age of the car, and no codes... 'dangle berries'! They are trying to scare them into buying a new car. Do a paper clip test mate. Go from there. At 60k its got loads of life in it, even if it has HG problem, which is a fairly cheap diy fix anyway. Keep out of the front door of the dealers, only ever go in the parts door round the back. Dealers,sorry, but they really get me cooking.
Ok ok, ive calmed down now, clearly i still have some mental scars from the few times i went in the front doors. Ill join another forum that.  ;D  ;D
Seriously tho, most common 4 pot issues seem to be blocked idle control valve and breathers these can be cleaned as can the cam sensor which is worth a try before buying a new one. All of these are well covered on here so worth a search. Also guides in maintenance section.

philhoward

• Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2008, 20:29:39 »

Apparently, you can get a seperate flexi section off the likes of ebay for about £15.  Some require it welding in, others are a case of cut the old bit out, and a couple of clamps.  Have a look at ebay item 110234110807
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

Shane mvsex

• Intermediate Member
  • maidenhead
    • 3.0 pfl mv6 caravan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2008, 20:41:01 »

on mine   i could only drive it for half an hour and it would just die ..
electric were still there just wouldnt start..

engine management light always on...

got the lamber centre ( cant spell it) crank shaft centre and crank shaft sensor done

now its fine....

mines just rolled over 60,000 miles on a p plate
migs and rc helicopters yeeeehaaaaaaa!
Www.omegaowners.com
Www.omegaownersnetwork.com

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2008, 21:05:06 »

If you need a cat got one here thats working fine with no blow from the flexi...wont cost an arm and a leg either :)
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

simond

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2008, 16:03:30 »

Thanks all very much for your replies.

It now seems that the interior panels lights have failed within the last few days, which may be linked perhaps.

I will have a root around in the fuse box, otherwise it may be a newer 2.2 facelift.  Trouble is I can't find any with a service history, most s/h Omegas I see in Autotrader are now a bit 'moody'!
« Last Edit: 07 September 2008, 16:04:21 by simond »

philhoward

• Staffs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2008, 16:25:52 »

I wonder if the alternator has failed - can throw up fault codes (hence the EML), but also starts to blow bulbs...first is usually the alternator (battery) light, but others could follow...

simond

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2008, 13:48:59 »

Thanks for all your replies.  Mum in law has now bought a very smart 03 2.2 CD with 38,000 from Network Q.

My son fancies (he's 15) doing the old one up in prep for when he's 17.

The exhaust is blowing from the flexi at the base of the front pipes so I'll have a look at the ebay item, thanks.

If we decide to SORN it I'll buy a new cam sensor, as it seems that every now and then it'll go for a day with no light on, the next day it'll come on as soon as the engine has started.  I guess if it was the exhaust leak the fault would come up consistently.

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2008, 16:47:00 »

Paperclip test is the most sensible place to start but there is an easy way to find out whether it is the cam sensor causing the fault or the o2 sensor.  

Drive the car until it's warmed up, get it into 3rd gear and take the revs up to 5000rpm.  If a rev limiter kicks in at 4500rpm then the cam sensor is faulty (or more likely just needs cleaned).  If it doesn't limit the revs you'll probably find the engine light will go out (take the revs right up in 3rd and 4th gear while driving) - which in turn points to the o2 sensor flagging a fault because of the blowing exhaust.

Easy fix either way.  If you do have the rev limiter take the cam sensor off and clean it (easy job - fan belt off, timing belt cover off, ecotec strip above spark plugs off and remove the cam sensor plug then the bolt which holds the metal part off.  Clean and refit).  

The light will not go out immediately after cleaning it so you'll have to take it for a drive.  Again take the revs up through the gears and the light should go out.

simond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2008, 20:32:01 »

Thanks Rickyboy, I will have a go at cleaning it.  Not sure if the revs thing can be done because it's an auto........ I'll take the cam sensor out tomorrow. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2008, 10:16:27 »

pretty certain you can get a fleijoint on its own...
Grumpy old man

f13platform

• Intermediate Member
  • birmingham
  • f13..
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2008, 11:01:59 »

Hello

I sold my mother in law our Omega 1998 2.0i 16v Auto (pre facelift) about 7 years ago.

On Wednesday the engine management light came on, at first sometimes, but now it comes on whenever the engine is started and stays on.

They took it to the local Vauxhall main dealer (it has covered 58K and has been main dealer serviced from new) and they plugged in their fault code reader.

Apparently no faults were logged, and they say that there is little more they can do in so far as diagnostics are concerned within the realms of what is economically viable on an old car.

I have read through the forum over the last two months, and the FAQs etc.  I have not done the paperclip test because the car isn't here and the dealer used the diagnostics only yesterday - there are no discernable driving defects other than a slight exhaust blow from the flexi on the front pipes.

To use a popular phrase 'it would be a shame to scrap it'.  

My in laws are old and the light worries them that they will break down.  They will have to scrap the car if it cannot be fixed.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Edit:  I have tried unplugging a few conectors and have also cleaned up the earth bonding point under the battery carrier this morning, this made no difference  :'(

dont panic ... same happen to me everyone say something

it only 2 liter car very easy and normal engine  it s MAF or cam sensor

or both (mine was both)

it s not cl65 amg... but it s best to get the code read first

u can do the MAF so easy but u must get the GM cam sensor  they

have code .dont buy them from ebay or europart

simond

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2008, 11:55:22 »

I've taken the spark plug cover off and was about to remove the fan belt, when I thought I'd look at the plugs.  3 out of the 4 apertures are half full of fresh oil.........

I'll search the forum for info.

rickyboy

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2008, 11:11:31 »

Looks like your cam cover gasket needs replacing if the oil has started to leak in to the plug wells.  I would imagine your cam sensor is covered in oil which is flagging the code or possibly a missfire.  Make sure you get the cam cover gasket changed and that you soak up the oil or you could destroy your leads or worse the dispack.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.