Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omegas and cold weather  (Read 3222 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Omegas and cold weather
« Reply #15 on: 20 December 2009, 22:12:10 »

The backend of mine is thrown around as well,but, I have a bigger and wierd problem..

When driving over black ice or snow, the brakes of my mig do not like to be pushed into - they make a noise and undo themselves..

I almost could not stop near the end of a minor road - is there is a problem with my brakes or some sort of setting which I can turn off?

Please advice!

Sounds like the ABS having a moment... No ABS system is perfect, especially on snow/ice.

The secret is to use the brakes as little as possible (use the engine) and gently :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2009, 22:16:24 »

Thanks, I did think of the ABS but wasn't sure.

Well - I do tend to use the brakes gently and having a automatic I am used to driving in the 'Drive' mode - is it better to use the manual 1,2 & 3 option in these conditions?

PS: New to these conditions so any advice is recieved with many thanks!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2009, 22:21:06 »

Don't really have a problem myself, particularly when you consider the 235 tyres, auto gearbox, and a bucketload of power.

Smooth driving is key, bit of extra weight over the rear axle and a couple of psi less in the tyres helps
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 December 2009, 22:25:12 »

Thanks, I did think of the ABS but wasn't sure.

Well - I do tend to use the brakes gently and having a automatic I am used to driving in the 'Drive' mode - is it better to use the manual 1,2 & 3 option in these conditions?

PS: New to these conditions so any advice is recieved with many thanks!

To a point .. yes  ... engine braking in an auto is not fantastic in "D", so the selection of 3, 2, 1 will give much increased engine braking... BUT  ... big BUT ... do it gently !!  If you drop it into second at 40 you will probably come close to losing control !!!

Driving on snow/ice is all about gentleness and smoothness....  do NOTHING in a hurry ... same rules apply to manuals as autos ....  highest gear possible and gently does it.

The loss of control is all about too much right foot ... the engine cannot accelerate itself .. only you can do it. ...   :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 December 2009, 22:38:51 »

You can get some form of engine braking into a bend by tapping the Sport button before the bend.

However I wouldn't do that in slippery conditions!  ;D

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 December 2009, 22:39:00 »

[size=9]Thanks. I was only doing 20 mph when I could not brake thanks to ABS. Reading on the forum, I have now learnt a few tricks and will remember to keep it gentle.
 [/size]

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 December 2009, 22:46:08 »

[size=9]Thanks. I was only doing 20 mph when I could not brake thanks to ABS. Reading on the forum, I have now learnt a few tricks and will remember to keep it gentle.
 [/size]

Very, very gently :y :y :y

Only use 3,2,1 to slow down carefully... As Entwood said, if you slam it into 2 at 40mph you're pushing your luck ;) ;)

Incidentally, I almost always use the engine anyway, even in good conditions :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2009, 22:48:20 »

autos are better in the snow to get moving i find, you can be very gentle with power delivery, with the manual the power gets dumped quicker unless you sit there slipping the clutch.

Its the opposite when slowing, as you can use the clutch / gears to slow quite well.

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 December 2009, 22:52:09 »

That is so true, I am used to using the engine to slow when driving a bike but have always relied on brakes for the car - until today :-[

Funny, how I did not apply some common sense this AM, luckily no harm done as there was no traffic on the road..but it is better to be safe than being sorry

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2009, 23:00:06 »

I think this is a problem of modern driving instruction.

When my daughter was learning I was amazed that she was NOT taught to change down progressively and use engine braking, she was taught to stay in the same gear, brake, then change to the "correct" gear to drive away again.

I actually asked her instructor about this and was told the answer was for 2 reasons...

1) Changing down/engine braking does not "tell" drivers behind what is happening, braking does by way of brake lights.

2) Brake pads are far cheaper and easier to change than engines/gearboxes/clutches.

Further research showed that IAM/RoSPA agree with those sentiments .. :(

So modern young drivers "expect" to be able to brake to a halt under all conditions ..... and have no idea what to do when the conditions won't allow such actions !!!

:(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2009, 23:05:05 »

When my daughter was learning I was amazed that she was NOT taught to change down progressively and use engine braking, she was taught to stay in the same gear, brake, then change to the "correct" gear to drive away again.

I was taught this way too, i picked up going through gears from my dad when i was young. He rode a motorbike and went to cars, so went through the gears, when i started driving i did this, and was told not to do it.

I had a full argument with my instructor (not that i am known for those  ::))

I argued you were in more control should something unexpected happen

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2009, 23:06:10 »

Well said, my instructor would go on and on about point number 2 (cheap brake pads)...he actually wanted me to change gears directly from say 4 to 1, when required to stop at a signal as opposed to progressive slowing down i.e. 4,3,2,1. It probably made sense but does not help in slippery conditions as you reply on brakes doing the job..

going crazy

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 December 2009, 23:07:59 »

I was taught this way too, i picked up going through gears from my dad when i was young. He rode a motorbike and went to cars, so went through the gears, when i started driving i did this, and was told not to do it.

Ditto, ended up learning my instructor way to drive my car and my own make for the bike...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 December 2009, 23:09:06 »

Ditto, ended up learning my instructor way to drive my car and my own make for the bike...

Driving to pass your test, and driving on real roads are completely different things  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 December 2009, 23:22:10 »

'Twas interesting then when doing the LGV / PCV training the instructor commented that "you old guys understand engine braking" .... :)

For those that don't know ... it is an immediate "fail" on Lorry/truck/bus to brake and clutch at the same time (except when coming to a halt), and to "skip" a gear on the way down ... you brake OR you change gear ... never both at the same time.... (all to do with potentially winding 40 odd tons of freewheeling energy back into the system should you do it ...) .. and you work your way down the box. It was part of the test to work up the box and then back down in a designated area.

I'm sure the regular (and current) truckers will correct me if it's changed .. :)

:)
« Last Edit: 20 December 2009, 23:24:53 by entwood »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.