Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash Dimmer causing noise.  (Read 1552 times)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
Dash Dimmer causing noise.
« on: 22 February 2021, 19:46:07 »

Hello again everyone,just noticed today the dash illumination dimmer wheel was slightly less then on full which is causing a buzzing noise from the under the steering wheel fusebox.When i turned it on to full again the noise disappeared.It also has like the lights on warning on removing the key but these must be connected.Lights all function correctly on the main switch.Any ideas Many Thanks Gavin :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Dash Dimmer causing noise.
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2021, 19:57:16 »

deja vu again !

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2021, 20:08:19 »

things are cropping up in groups on here recently.
theres a sudden inrush of z157 paintwork problems at the moment and there have been a few of your and my problem with the warning buzzer noise.
i had a post up entitled "strange goings on" and ended up finding the cause.
mine had symptoms such as
warning buzzer sounding when it shouldnt
warning buzzer sounding with dimmer turned down
interior light not going off.
all were related to a damp/ water / moisture issue after the snow just before christmas.
possible causes.
main light switch
drivers door pin switch
mine was a low earth reading into the drivers door multiplug connector. it was a blue wire which once dissconnected solved the problem although ivestill got to take the door trim off to find out what that blue wire actually does.( everything is still working normally so may be an option that my car doesnt have)
hope this helps  but you need to trace your fault idealy as an unknown as yours may not be the same fault ( same wire,same area) but may help you all the same .
cheers

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2021, 22:04:38 »

Yep that weather was harsh,will try and recreate that fault again during the day and locate in the main fuse box what is buzzing.it could be water ingress.Does the main light selector on the drivers side just pull out.

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2021, 22:07:46 »

And i think as ive got water coming in on the door sill from somewhere, as cloths in the drivers door left overnight when raining in the bottom side pocket they are always wet.So that could be the drivers door liner inside the door so ive been told.maybe its the drivers side door light inside.Will check :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2021, 22:18:11 »

the buzzing will be the warning buzzer. perfectly normal for it to make a noise if it detects an earth to the 31 terminal( or partial earth)
the light switch does just pull out but its easier if you remove the clip-on side dashboard section and also if you slide a couple of old credit cards or strips of plastic  down the side of the switch to push back the clips rather than prise and bend them, check for fault still present or not with switch removed. mine made no difference hence switch not at fault.
as the weather warms up over the next few months this fault may well clear itself but yes you need to find out why you have water coming in.
that was just a summary of what i found. yours may well be different

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2021, 23:58:04 »

Hi cam.in.head

Would you happen to have or remember the reading, you got for the blue wire when you put a multimeter on it? I am also having the same sort of problem with buzzer and light dimmer, my interior light does go out. But the doors will lock as soon as the drivers door is opened up.

Thanks
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2021, 00:25:01 »

And i think as ive got water coming in on the door sill from somewhere, as cloths in the drivers door left overnight when raining in the bottom side pocket they are always wet.So that could be the drivers door liner inside the door so ive been told.maybe its the drivers side door light inside.Will check :y

I had a very similar issue last year, where I thought water was gaining access over the drivers sill onto the carpet. I found a problem with the front roof gutter trim. It is designed to allow water to run behind it and exit at the lower front edge, run down the A pillar and away; however the seal between the trim and the body was excessively crushed allowing water to escape above the door and run round the seal to the bottom of the door and onto the sill. I fitted a new seal strip and changed the door seal, and although it improved matters, water was still getting onto the drivers carpet. After further advice on here, I removed the headlining, and found the offside sunroof drain connector clip to the drain pipe had broken and pipe had come off. Rainwater from the sunroof drain was dripping onto the headlining, running forwards to its lowest point, down the inside of the A pillar trim, behind the kick panel trim and into the foam insulation under the carpet. Some was also running onto, and round the door seal.
This may not be linked to your problem - but certain worth checking. As you know, the point of ingress is usually somewhere away from where it exits and shows itself in the car....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2021, 09:16:21 »

Hi cam.in.head

Would you happen to have or remember the reading, you got for the blue wire when you put a multimeter on it? I am also having the same sort of problem with buzzer and light dimmer, my interior light does go out. But the doors will lock as soon as the drivers door is opened up.

Thanks
Addy

Bring it up here next time and we will pull the carpets out and dry it all :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2021, 09:29:03 »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

No problem.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2021, 17:02:19 »

cannot remember the exact reading.but it was low enough to fool the ecu into thinking the door was open. its not linked to the locking signal thou ( after all the door wouldnt suddenly lock if you pull the lightswitch) sounds more like a problem with the actuator microswitches ?

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2021, 17:04:59 »

wonder why loads of people are having this issue at the moment. yes its been wet but nothing different to any other year.
the blue wire if low will cause an issue with the dimmer/ buzzer noise and eventually if low enough will keep the interior light on.
mine was in the door connector or inside the door itself.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2021, 17:10:18 »

It's the time of year coupled with a lot less use over the last twelve months, so cars aren't warming up enough to properly air out.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.