Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 12V Pumps in Cooling System  (Read 9748 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: 12V Pumps in Cooling System
« Reply #45 on: 30 October 2022, 11:05:03 »

With the above in mind, get the car upto temperature and set the cabin temp to 21 degrees both sides.
Then turn the ignition off and press AUTO. If the system is working correctly, the pump should now run.  ;)
If it doesn't run, repeat with the temperature set to HI both sides.

If it still doesn't work, then replace the panel.
Onanists always think outside the box.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 October 2022, 17:55:28 »

Sure, those tests already done. I get 0.4V when the pump should run and 0V when not. Actually everything works fine except pump which does not get current. Pump is ok, tested it with outer 12V source. When engine hot and cabine and outside cold and ignition off when I press 'Auto' the climate panel comes on, fan start to rotate and pre-set tempratures can be seen. the fan is on perhaps 3 minutes and then slowly goes off. I guess that this happens due to the reason that pump is not running and heater matrix becomes cold. That is what I believe. Does the system know what is the air temperature blowed to cabin?

On the other hand: when engine cold, cabin cold and garage cold (all in same temp) and ignition off nothing happens when I press 'Auto'.

One thing came to my mind. I tested the pin 19 only with ohm meter and the resistance was "about" zero. With these cheap digital meters results close to zero are difficult. Perhaps I shoulf feed 12V to that pin and check whether the pump starts to rotate then. If there is a bad contact somewhere the resistance can be close to zero when not real current going through but when there is real load the voltage drops. Like when you have bad earth somewhere e.g in tail light. When only tail light on it illuminates but when you press brake pedal both goes 'off'.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 31 October 2022, 21:02:58 »

Would certainly rule it out.  ;)

I couldn't remember if we had covered the ignition off part...

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 January 2023, 19:11:44 »

So, these long lasting projects... got new climate panel from scrapper with same serial numbers but it did not make any difference, less than 0.5V in conditions when pump should run and zero when not. Connected 12V directly to X63 pin 19 in cabin and pump started to rotate, perhaps should have started by doing this but you never know. Maybe this is thing that fails in those panels, from old thread
https://www.opel-omega.ru/uploads/monthly_06_2010/post-3981-1275983760.jpg
I would like to check this BTS711L1 chip just for fun. As I now have a spare I put the old one back and study the scrapper one.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 January 2023, 20:03:03 »

Pretty certain that I had suggested testing the wiring ::)

Still, at least you know which bit is broken  ;)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2023, 10:01:25 »

or fit a relay?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 January 2023, 11:27:17 »

I would like to check this BTS711L1 chip just for fun. As I now have a spare I put the old one back and study the scrapper one.

That chip is quite a common one, although the official distributors don't have any stock (should be about £7). However, you can get it from eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404088583059 . I'd avoid any Chinese sources though. Data sheet is here https://docs.rs-online.com/4c6d/0900766b801927e4.pdf

Those sort of chips do go wrong quite often - they get too hot. It's not an 'intelligent' chip and doesn't need programming, so if you've got the tools it should be relatively easy to just lift the old one off and put a new one down. However, if you haven't got the right tools (hot air blower gun or infra red heater lamp) then the 'best way' to get the old chips off is to simply cut all their legs off close to the plastic body with a sharp scalpel, and then desolder the individual legs from PCB pads one at a time. This technique avoids damage to the PCB, but obviously destroys the chip you're lifting so no use if you're trying to lift the chip to reuse it on another board. 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 January 2023, 20:13:33 »

The climate panel can be configured to work with or without the pump, if memory serves, so the replacement panel might not have the correct config (although I'd be surprised, since most late UK cars had the pump).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 January 2023, 22:05:31 »

The climate panel can be configured to work with or without the pump, if memory serves, so the replacement panel might not have the correct config (although I'd be surprised, since most late UK cars had the pump).
Scandi panels should be coded, but a Baltic sourced used panel could have come from southern euroland.  ;)

But sounds like that could be an easy fix by someone with a Tech 2 and isn't afraid to use it...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.