Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto selector inhibitor intermittent  (Read 1387 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Auto selector inhibitor intermittent
« on: 01 October 2022, 20:34:42 »

Hi

02 2.6

Had this issue slowly developing over time and starting to get me thinking it's going to leave me stranded sooner rather than later and need to do something about it. I'm guessing it's the selector switch needing cleaned perhaps, but not sure. So what happens is you go to turn the key and nothing happens, if I'm in neutral, I have to jiggle the auto selector a little bit then it goes - while I have key in start position. You can hear there is an electrical / connection issue somewhere. Guessing the selector contacts are dried out and can be cleaned and regreased with switch grease or are they generally toast by this time?

Cheers

G

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Auto selector inhibitor intermittent
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2022, 14:21:35 »

You on about the one that allows you out of park (check brake switch) or the one that prevents starting when in Park or Neutral?

If latter, is it better in one position (say park) than other?  How are the LEDs by gearstick when it plays up?
Grumpy old man

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2022, 14:44:57 »

You on about the one that allows you out of park (check brake switch) or the one that prevents starting when in Park or Neutral?

If latter, is it better in one position (say park) than other?  How are the LEDs by gearstick when it plays up?

I think it's prevents you starting in anything other than P & N but is sort of doing it in N mainly, probably ok in park, although I usually turn ignition on, unlock the park lock, then pull into N ready to slot into D before I fire it up, just a habit I've got into with autos. Lights are ok, just got to move lever back and forth a few baw hairs while in N and you hear the starter kick on and off then it catches and goes.

« Last Edit: 02 October 2022, 14:46:41 by grifter »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2022, 14:55:37 »

sounds like either the contacts are just a little dirty/ bad or the adjustment is just a tad off.
idealy and worthwhile just doing the inevitable removal and full clean up that they usually need eventually anyway.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2022, 16:05:39 »

It was the brake lights switch that left me stuck in P when at the light unable to move  ::)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2022, 16:33:43 »

sounds like either the contacts are just a little dirty/ bad or the adjustment is just a tad off.
idealy and worthwhile just doing the inevitable removal and full clean up that they usually need eventually anyway.

thinking that myself, car's off the road now for winter, so don't need it. Will get round to checking it as some point over next few weeks/months.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2022, 16:34:18 »

It was the brake lights switch that left me stuck in P when at the light unable to move  ::)

Even more reason for me to never put it in P at lights !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2022, 17:09:25 »

That's the Inhibitor that prevents taking out of park without ignition on and brake pedal pressed.

OP's sounds like the range switch on his, as it prevents starting.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2022, 17:10:24 »

I think it's prevents you starting in anything other than P & N but is sort of doing it in N mainly, probably ok in park, although I usually turn ignition on, unlock the park lock, then pull into N ready to slot into D before I fire it up, just a habit I've got into with autos. Lights are ok, just got to move lever back and forth a few baw hairs while in N and you hear the starter kick on and off then it catches and goes.
Try to get in habit of starting it properly (in park), and see if that improves things.  Does sound like your range switch though.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2022, 20:40:33 »

That's the Inhibitor that prevents taking out of park without ignition on and brake pedal pressed.

OP's sounds like the range switch on his, as it prevents starting.

Sorry Jamie ....  :-[ ::)

I was at work & didn't read the op properly  ;)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2022, 12:30:38 »

Try to get in habit of starting it properly (in park), and see if that improves things.  Does sound like your range switch though.

I'll try in park next time see how it goes. When you say range switch, is that something to do with the selector switch thing in the gearbox?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2022, 13:28:41 »

The selector switch is the range switch.

It’s a closed box containing radiused contact strips moved by the gear selector via a rod and arm and eventually water and muck get inside the contact area and it stops working correctly.  ;)

Usually manifests as poor starting function and flickering lights on the selector display.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.