Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Masks don't work...  (Read 2944 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Masks don't work...
« on: 08 March 2023, 20:17:53 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Masks don't work...
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2023, 20:20:57 »

Well blow me down  ;D
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2023, 07:52:03 »

They do make a difference, but as usual the idiots fail to look at how.

Its well proven they do nothing of benefit to the wearer (although as common sense is sadly not that common, many seem incapable of understanding that) but, that is well known and understood.

What they do achieve is ensuring the wearers breath is slowed down such that it does not travel so far from them and limits the field of potential infection, that is the same proven principle as to why they are worn in medical environments by staff.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2023, 08:21:13 »

That's not what the evidence suggests.

https://www.cochrane.org/CD006207/ARI_do-physical-measures-such-hand-washing-or-wearing-masks-stop-or-slow-down-spread-respiratory-viruses

Granted, the title of the thread is a little, er, dramatic but masks of any type offer negligible protection, whether it was knitted by Nana or  came from the hospital supplies according to the above report.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2023, 08:28:23 by Doctor Gollum »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2023, 08:40:24 »

That actually says very different to the thread title:

Ten studies took place in the community, and two studies in healthcare workers. Compared with wearing no mask in the community studies only, wearing a mask may make little to no difference in how many people caught a flu-like illness/COVID-like illness (9 studies; 276,917 people); and probably makes little or no difference in how many people have flu/COVID confirmed by a laboratory test (6 studies; 13,919 people). Unwanted effects were rarely reported; discomfort was mentioned.

And again when you read up on the study case, its only looking at the mask wearer and not the secondary effects (these are hard to measure and quantify, probably why they avoided it, as somehow you have to determine how mnay non wearers the test subject came into close contact with), we know very well the benefits to the wearer which are pretty much zero.

Its just yet another report and study which has been done to get some professor another paper on his portfolio and pay some bills using external funding, they know very well that a few shock words will spark an interest (even if they do contradict the basic laws of common sense and physics)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2023, 10:39:29 »

That actually says very different to the thread title:

Ten studies took place in the community, and two studies in healthcare workers. Compared with wearing no mask in the community studies only, wearing a mask may make little to no difference in how many people caught a flu-like illness/COVID-like illness (9 studies; 276,917 people); and probably makes little or no difference in how many people have flu/COVID confirmed by a laboratory test (6 studies; 13,919 people). Unwanted effects were rarely reported; discomfort was mentioned.

And again when you read up on the study case, its only looking at the mask wearer and not the secondary effects (these are hard to measure and quantify, probably why they avoided it, as somehow you have to determine how mnay non wearers the test subject came into close contact with), we know very well the benefits to the wearer which are pretty much zero.

Its just yet another report and study which has been done to get some professor another paper on his portfolio and pay some bills using external funding, they know very well that a few shock words will spark an interest (even if they do contradict the basic laws of common sense and physics)
No, no, no Mark, this won't do at all. Where's the drama? Who has been lying to us? Who is responsible for killing thousands of people unnecessarily? What are the ulterior motives of 'them'? You know.......'them'  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2023, 10:45:30 »

Dr Campbell ended with a list of people whom he wondered if would also apologise...

One name was missing... And it wasn't Sippy Cup ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2023, 13:14:17 »

We observed a man and woman, probably in their early thirties, dragging a couple of masked kids aged about 8 and 10 around the supermarket last Sunday.

You could see the fear in their eyes.....and the kids looked defeated. :-\

The girl at the checkout knew them quite well and informed her they had decided to continue wearing masks 'just in case' the  chinky sniffle returned. :-[ :-X

« Last Edit: 09 March 2023, 13:16:46 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2023, 13:27:35 »

'just in case' the  chinky sniffle returned.
It never went away, whatever Boris claimed.

And even fully vaccinated, healthy people are falling ill with it, though hopefully not so ill to need a hospital or morgue visit.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2023, 13:34:26 »

And even fully vaccinated, healthy people are falling ill with it, though hopefully not so ill to need a hospital or morgue visit.

Probably never will so we just have to live with it. I've had it and have had  worse colds/flu.

People are too fearful.

Lets face it it's hardly the black death. :)

As for being fully vaccinated, the people who have had the most jabs seem to catch covid more often.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2023, 13:38:11 »

Probably never will so we just have to live with it. I've had it and have had  worse colds/flu.

People are too fearful.

As for being fully vaccinated, the people who have had the most jabs seem to catch covid more often.
Except me, I've had four jabs and zero covids
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2023, 13:46:03 »

https://youtu.be/y7OWLohZ_fs

Looks like the 1348-1350 Black death originated in China or Mongolia. How history repeats itself. ::) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2023, 13:50:54 »

People are too fearful.

Except me, I've had four jabs and zero covids

That is because nobody likes you and they try to keep away from you. ;D

I had 2 early on, when the powers that be reckoned covid could be quite nasty.

We now know that covid is about as deadly as a wet fart. So deffo no more jabs or masks for me. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2023, 14:09:50 »

https://youtu.be/y7OWLohZ_fs

Looks like the 1348-1350 Black death originated in China or Mongolia. How history repeats itself. ::) ::)

At the end of that video it says that malnutrition played a part in the deaths due to years of famine because storms and drought. It seems climate change was about even all those years ago.  ;)

Incidentally, there was an interesting documentary on Channel 5 last night about the Black Death with Dan Snow. The second part is on tonight.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2023, 14:14:34 »

That partly depends on luck.  I knew far too many people who are no longer here due to catching the sniffle.  I don't directly know of anyone who died from flu (but that tended to be more elderly people, so that's probably why).

The vaccinations are likely to make it, at worse, like flu.  That alone makes it worth tolerating a small prick in the arm.

Its something we will always have to live with, that genie isn't going back in the bottle, but doesn't mean we can't take simple, easy, sensible steps to reduce spreading it.  Such as staying at home when you have it - the pubs will still be there in 2 weeks when you're better. Or wearing masks if appropriate.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.