Author Topic: Snow?  (Read 2573 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Snow?
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2023, 07:47:51 »

Quite a bit around nottingham, less closer to Gaydon, A46 was two tramlines with to many slow muppets on it!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2023, 08:20:40 »

Things have changed overnight, most schools in Sheffield closed today, which means I have an interfering wife to cope with today. I'll have to invent loads of stuff to do to prove how busy I am while she's at work.

Funny how schools close nowadays but they can still go out and play in the snow.

When I was thirteen, I walked 2 and a half miles in drifting snow and finally arrived at theschool at 10 ( where it was raining). I got a caning. All day I hoped for early closure. No chance.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2023, 09:09:11 »

Funny how schools close nowadays but they can still go out and play in the snow.

When I was thirteen, I walked 2 and a half miles in drifting snow and finally arrived at theschool at 10 ( where it was raining). I got a caning. All day I hoped for early closure. No chance.

Snow doubled the amount of time it took me to get to school.

One morning, one of my class arrived after the class started at 10:30, having walked from Rainham. Just after his teeth stopped chattering, it was announced we were being sent home. Neil's grasp of Anglo-saxon impressed the English teacher, who was well known for his ability to express himself ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2023, 09:17:05 »

Things have changed overnight, most schools in Sheffield closed today, which means I have an interfering wife to cope with today. I'll have to invent loads of stuff to do to prove how busy I am while she's at work.

Yes, but horses and carts were better at getting about than modern vehicles.
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2023, 09:17:16 »

And we have just had a director moaning that he had to get somebody to hold the bonnet open to top the washer fluid up............when it had 50mm of snow on it

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2023, 09:18:57 »

And we have just had a director moaning that he had to get somebody to hold the bonnet open to top the washer fluid up............when it had 50mm of snow on it
I'd have waited till his hands were well and truly under there and..........BAM!  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 March 2023, 09:22:23 »

There's a group of 60 children been on a residential at a camp site all week in rural south Sheffield. There's a zoom going on in the kitchen, about fifteen women trying to work out how to extricate them. I'm dying to....... no, better not  ;D
Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 March 2023, 10:02:01 »

There's a group of 60 children been on a residential at a camp site all week in rural south Sheffield. There's a zoom going on in the kitchen, about fifteen women trying to work out how to extricate them. I'm dying to....... no, better not  ;D

Horse and cart?  ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2023, 10:07:12 »

Horse and cart?  ;D
As far as I can see (and I've been our for a quick drive) all the main roads are pretty clear. Unfortunately, this camp site is up a long, narrow country lane, and a tree has fallen over halfway down it. I suggested, as long as they have food and water, leaving them there till the snow clears up. But, apparently, that's against their human rights   ;D
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 March 2023, 10:19:51 »

Horse and cart?  ;D
As far as I can see (and I've been our for a quick drive) all the main roads are pretty clear. Unfortunately, this camp site is up a long, narrow country lane, and a tree has fallen over halfway down it. I suggested, as long as they have food and water, leaving them there till the snow clears up. But, apparently, that's against their human rights   ;D
"lord of the flies" all over again  >:D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2023, 10:20:58 »

We have a solution. A local farmer has agreed to shift the tree, and the coach company will send a minibus along with the coach. The coach will wait at the bottom of the lane while the minibus ferries the kids to it. Farmer is standing by to help should minibus get stuck. Education eh? It's not the same job it used to be.
Diesel till I die

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 March 2023, 10:22:59 »

Horse and cart?  ;D

They could remove the tree the old fashioned way: by using the labour of lots of people. Character building is an old fashioned phrase too.

Not that any of this matters in England in early March where it can snow at the beginning of the week and we can be seriously considering shorts and t-shirts for the weekend.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2023, 10:24:48 »

We have a solution. A local farmer has agreed to shift the tree, and the coach company will send a minibus along with the coach. The coach will wait at the bottom of the lane while the minibus ferries the kids to it. Farmer is standing by to help should minibus get stuck. Education eh? It's not the same job it used to be.
I hope they have enough bubble wrap and cotton wool to protect them during transfer  :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 March 2023, 10:50:16 »

I hope they have enough bubble wrap and cotton wool to protect them during transfer  :-\
Apparently they're going to anaesthetise them  :-\
They'll leave the campsite and wake up on the bus  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 March 2023, 11:12:22 »

After yesterday’s monsoon the little bit of snow we had here this morning came to nothing. It’s very windy though, the motorbike cover was making a bid for freedom until I roped it down.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.