Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best complete front track rods  (Read 1297 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Best complete front track rods
« on: 10 March 2023, 11:01:10 »

As the title says. Who make the best aftermarket track rods for Omegas?  Febi, Trw, Myele or Lemforder or any other make, that anyone has good reviews of?

I know that I replaced a steering idler not so long ago on the Omega, with a lemforder. I ended up putting the original back on, as there was loads of play in the new one.  So was wondering about the quality of their track rods.  I have a loose steering feeling. The steering feels light and seems to wonder if I hit a bump or the road is not even. I have replaced all front suspension components, as the coils were snapped, wishbone bushes had gone. Centre track rod and the track rods were worn. It went straight through the MOT. (Before all the work was done, for the MOT. The car was great to drive, not even pulling to the left. Even with the worn and damaged parts). Cann't remember what trackrods I put on, but they weren't a crappy pair.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions.

Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Best complete front track rods
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2023, 11:45:34 »

The Omega can be really finicky.

Tyres and tyre pressure can play a part as can certain road surfaces. A poorly set up Omega might drive OK, and a precisely set up one on brand new components and decent tyres will drive better than new. But if one component is compromised enough to vary the geometry whilst driving then it will be all over the place.

Track rods are a service item, buy what you can readily get hold of and get the geometry reset. If the tyres are showing signs of uneven wear, then they too will need doing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2023, 12:13:21 »

Thanks DG, for the quick reply. The strange thing is that there is no tyre wear. Will see about another setup check.  Am I right in thinking the correct settings are as follows?

Rear Toe and Camber will be a compromise, but Thrust angle MUST be zero.

Front, Toe is +0° 03"
Camber should be -1° 10"

Or should the Toe-in be
Saloon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0º10’ ± 10’
Variation with inner wheel turned in at 20‡ . . . . . . . . . 1º40’ ± 45’

No ifs or buts
The rear settings vary car to car as they have a single adjustment that does both camber and track. But it is fundamentally critical that the thrust angle is zero

The Omega is particularly fussy, and absolutely must have Thrust Angle of 0'00 only.  Compromise the rear camber if necessary, even if its way out - though that's a sure sign the rear suspension arms are badly bent

Set the front camber to -1 degree 10’. Without adding weight inside the car. All the other angles will be OEM.

Thanks.
Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2023, 12:51:15 »

Thanks DG, for the quick reply. The strange thing is that there is no tyre wear. Will see about another setup check.  Am I right in thinking the correct settings are as follows?

Rear Toe and Camber will be a compromise, but Thrust angle MUST be zero.

Front, Toe is +0° 03"
Camber should be -1° 10"

Or should the Toe-in be
Saloon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0º10’ ± 10’
Variation with inner wheel turned in at 20‡ . . . . . . . . . 1º40’ ± 45’

No ifs or buts
The rear settings vary car to car as they have a single adjustment that does both camber and track. But it is fundamentally critical that the thrust angle is zero

The Omega is particularly fussy, and absolutely must have Thrust Angle of 0'00 only.  Compromise the rear camber if necessary, even if its way out - though that's a sure sign the rear suspension arms are badly bent

Set the front camber to -1 degree 10’. Without adding weight inside the car. All the other angles will be OEM.

Thanks.
Addy
This. Same for the estate.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.