Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre wear  (Read 2339 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Tyre wear
« on: 21 March 2007, 15:44:07 »

Something odd as happened to my car.  It passed its MOT 3 weeks ago, and I know the tyres were all OK, bit low but still some miles left in them.

So imagine my surprise when parked up on full lock at the weekend I see the osf inside shoulder was worn bald.

A quick trip to Wheels In Motion yesterday to put a pair of new Dunlops on it, and the best remain 2 tyres on the front. Alas, one of those has little left either, but they found 2 of the wheels were no longer round.

Once on the machine, the geometry was way off, but we couldn't see a single reason for it - it was as if more than one setting had adjusted. Tony had no choice but to re-setup from scratch.  Fortunately, I had my old settings, so we have a base to start from.

So currently, I need a pair of MV6 wheels, and a pair of Dunlops to go on them  :'(

But, what happened between MOT and the weekend to cause such very drastic wear on the tyre - it was camber type wear, that much even I know.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2007, 15:47:26 »

I should add I have been happy with tyre wear - thats 16k out of them (was getting 6 - 8k before Tony sorted it) - the fronts still had probably about 3mm (the shoulder wear on osf aside), rears down to near the limit for some reason ::)

But, the main thing is, the wear was flat across the tyre (except that one which obviously something went wrong), so cannot get better than that with those tyres and my driving style, so another testiment to Wheels In Motion :y
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2007, 16:17:17 »

Something odd as happened to my car.  It passed its MOT 3 weeks ago, and I know the tyres were all OK, bit low but still some miles left in them.

So imagine my surprise when parked up on full lock at the weekend I see the osf inside shoulder was worn bald.

A quick trip to Wheels In Motion yesterday to put a pair of new Dunlops on it, and the best remain 2 tyres on the front. Alas, one of those has little left either, but they found 2 of the wheels were no longer round.

Once on the machine, the geometry was way off, but we couldn't see a single reason for it - it was as if more than one setting had adjusted. Tony had no choice but to re-setup from scratch.  Fortunately, I had my old settings, so we have a base to start from.

So currently, I need a pair of MV6 wheels, and a pair of Dunlops to go on them  :'(

But, what happened between MOT and the weekend to cause such very drastic wear on the tyre - it was camber type wear, that much even I know.

Wow thats a bit worrying... I can't imagine what they did unless it was man-handled in someway - does MOT require removal of wheels at all? I have no clue  :-/
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2007, 16:57:45 »

I don't suppose the tyre had got a slow puncture and has thus been running flat?

Even so, that's a lot of wear in a couple of weeks and you would have noticed the lack of grip, I'm sure.

All the suspension parts still straight? Don't suppose the MOT inspector jacked it up on a tie rod or something?

Any signs of something having shifted underneath? Subframe mountings, collapsed bushes, etc?

It would take something to be degrees out to cause wear that rapid.

Are the out of shape wheels a clue or unrelated?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2007, 17:08:42 »

Have you hit a pot hole. Or you wife has hit one.

Or has it been kerbed at all?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2007, 19:16:01 »

You are allowed a certain amount of below 1.6mm across the width....maybe this was the case...when you had it mot'd.....or it may have been on the legal limit when you mot'd it and mot bloke couldnt be bothered to give you an advisory.

Alloys not round....sounds like you've hit a pothole or two...does happen with alloys  :(

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2007, 19:29:42 »

My last cars alloys were ovalled by being righted - the Irmsher MV6 alloys are VERY fragile

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2007, 19:45:45 »

I don't suppose the tyre had got a slow puncture and has thus been running flat?

Even so, that's a lot of wear in a couple of weeks and you would have noticed the lack of grip, I'm sure.

All the suspension parts still straight? Don't suppose the MOT inspector jacked it up on a tie rod or something?

Any signs of something having shifted underneath? Subframe mountings, collapsed bushes, etc?

It would take something to be degrees out to cause wear that rapid.

Are the out of shape wheels a clue or unrelated?

Kevin
No puncture, tyre pressures checked at least weekly.  Doubt MOT would remove wheels. No signs of damage underneath.  Did hit a bloody great pothole a few weeks back. Wouldn't explain why ovalled wheels were on opposite corners though.  The tyre wear was camber related more than toe related imho, and osf camber was way out (not far out of Vx spec though - about 2.5 iirc, i'll check later)

:-/
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2007, 19:46:24 »

My last cars alloys were ovalled by being righted - the Irmsher MV6 alloys are VERY fragile
MV6 wheels very soft.  I have a buckled one in the garage....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2007, 19:46:57 »

You are allowed a certain amount of below 1.6mm across the width....maybe this was the case...when you had it mot'd.....or it may have been on the legal limit when you mot'd it and mot bloke couldnt be bothered to give you an advisory.

Alloys not round....sounds like you've hit a pothole or two...does happen with alloys  :(
The tyres were fine across the tread pattern. Very even wear.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2007, 19:47:36 »

At £100 per corner? Not bloody likely ;)
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2007, 20:20:51 »

Has Tunnie driven it?

Anyone else?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2007, 20:22:58 »

Has Tunnie driven it?

Anyone else?
Everyone drives my car, esp at work if one of the locals wants to borrow a car at lunchtime.  I trust my friends/colleagues enough for them to own up to incidents.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2007, 20:27:36 »

Has Tunnie driven it?

Anyone else?
Everyone drives my car, esp at work if one of the locals wants to borrow a car at lunchtime.  I trust my friends/colleagues enough for them to own up to incidents.

I would not expect them to mention clipping a pot hole if they did not get a puncture

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2007, 21:17:10 »

Has Tunnie driven it?

Anyone else?

I would not expect them to mention clipping a pot hole if they did not get a puncture

I would mention it if it was me.. but then, I'm too honest....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.