Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Robin Git  (Read 2112 times)

Nickbat

Robin Git
« on: 19 March 2007, 11:46:11 »

That soddin' Brown is expected to hike road tax on larger engines in this week's budget, see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6464783.stm

Am I right to be worried?

Four hundred quid is all my car's worth. :'(

What really gets my goat is that the well-off won't sniff at £400 (mentioned as the target figure within two years by the Telegraph today), but those who are financially challenged will end up having to make some stark choices. I love my Meega, but would have to seriously reconsider what I am to do if the RFL goes up alarmingly. So, the less well-off will end up scrapping their larger-engined cars (causing a huge stock pile of older vehicles....like fridges), while the rich will carry on as before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against people having wealth or buying whatever cars they want, but i am just infuriated by any tax system that penalises the less advantaged in society.

As for Brown, I loathe him more than Blair and wouldn't vote for him if he was the last guy on the planet. >:(  

STMO123

Re: Robin Git
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2007, 11:52:27 »

I taxed my car last week, the earliest you can do it is 15th of the month. On the reminder that came through the post it "reminded" me that if tax goes up in the budget, Gordon will be looking for the difference from me. idiot.

Nextgen

• Stockport
  • avatar disabled as its mahoosive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2007, 12:06:58 »

According to the shiny new teletext news, it should only affect cars bought since april last year....
Thanks god.
Could be wrong though. I had a dsmn good rant about it this morning to my other half, who loves my V6 as much as me but couldn't justify TWO HUNDRED BLEEDING QUID more a year for running a second hand car that I maintain myself.

Im absolulely certain that the amount of pollution caused by me continuing to run the car is bloody minimal compared with the amount of pollution, not to mention waste of resources caused by scrapping and buying another car, that would be caused by me having to ditch the MV6.

grr.

Edwin
"Don't fear the penguins!"

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2007, 12:24:39 »

The top tax band (Band G) for cars with CO2 over 225 is only applicable to cars registered on or after 23 March 2006, so all Omegas are currently in Band F or below.

I would imagine it's the G band which will attract punitive levels of taxation as the F band actually covers some fairly mundane cars at its' lower end.

My only fear is that the goal posts will be moved and the 23 March 2006 exemption will go, although that will cause uproar because it will retrospectively affect vehicles purchased before the new band was introduced.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2007, 12:26:04 »

Its band G hes talking about raising which covers all vehicles of 225 g/Km CO2 output AND built after 23 March 2006....

Omega is band F....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2007, 12:36:42 »

Channel 4 bravely did a program a couple of weeks back showing that co2 is not the cause of global warming, but global warming (a natural cycle) causes higher co2...
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2007, 12:52:19 »

Its band G hes talking about raising which covers all vehicles of 225 g/Km CO2 output AND built after 23 March 2006....

Omega is band F....

I'm pleased to read that. Mind you, how much will he stick on Band F?  ::)

Nextgen

• Stockport
  • avatar disabled as its mahoosive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2007, 13:27:24 »

I wish some care was taken by some of the media outlets here to qualify what they mean, before raising the nation's blood pressure.... or mine in particular....or perhaps thats the intention  ;-)

Band F does cover a *VERY* wide selection of vehicles: e.g. New Astra 1.8, all 2.2 Vectras, 1.8 Meriva, Signum etc etc etc.

Basically every company car in the country, plus a couple if oddities:

Street Ka
1.6i       M5       Petrol       189       IV

Heh - always new they were gas-guzzlers.....!

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearchResults.asp

"Don't fear the penguins!"

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2007, 13:44:53 »

I wish some care was taken by some of the media outlets here to qualify what they mean, before raising the nation's blood pressure

But to raise the blood pressure (and thus sell newspapers) is what they set out to do. It wouldn't be much of a story if they said that "road tax is about to double! (for a minority of the newest, most expensive cars on the road)".  ;)

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2007, 16:13:32 »

I wish some care was taken by some of the media outlets here to qualify what they mean, before raising the nation's blood pressure

But to raise the blood pressure (and thus sell newspapers) is what they set out to do. It wouldn't be much of a story if they said that "road tax is about to double! (for a minority of the newest, most expensive cars on the road)".  ;)

Kevin

Sensationalism at its best... and broadsheets I thought knew better ;)
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2007, 16:29:22 »

perhaps converting to LPG might be a good plan for the future. It shouldn't take long to save the 250 quid extra, provided he doesn't hit gas prices.
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Nickbat

« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2007, 15:37:55 »

VED up by a tenner for Band F, so not too bad.

Sorry I panicked everyone...including myself. :-[

I promise not to believe EVERYTHING I read in the papers....except for the bus on the moon, of course...how the hell did that get there? ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2007, 15:51:59 »

VED up by a tenner for Band F, so not too bad.

Sorry I panicked everyone...including myself. :-[

I promise not to believe EVERYTHING I read in the papers....except for the bus on the moon, of course...how the hell did that get there? ;D
Mine is too old to be classed band F, instead its the 'over 1500cc' one I think.  Has that gone up?
Grumpy old man

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2007, 16:03:13 »

This list should see you right, if its been updated:

Car Tax

And here's the BBC list of changes:

Changes to Bands
« Last Edit: 21 March 2007, 16:04:49 by ClarCE »
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2007, 16:23:15 »

Errr... and what kind of ministerial car does Gordon Brown have....?

You guessed it - A VAUXHALL OMEGA!!

Careful guys, he could be one of us. Apparently he was offered a Toyota Prius in December but turned it down because "his 2002 Meega is still in good condition" and therefore doesnt need replaced.

Because nobody - especially Toyota - makes a better car more like!!

Dave
some day.....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.