Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 157389 times)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #225 on: 20 May 2012, 23:52:15 »

hotel21
why do you talk in some sort of code that the rest of us have no idea what you are talking about
its cos you are in with the main

feeutfo

« Reply #226 on: 20 May 2012, 23:56:47 »

hotel21
why do you talk in some sort of code that the rest of us have no idea what you are talking about

take no notice btc, he's just showin off. ;) :D

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 21 May 2012, 00:03:31 »

you just wanna get your hands around my car dont u chris, :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 21 May 2012, 00:08:46 »

hotel21

Why are you moaning, do you want to join in or not? what do you want? as I said you are posting so that is a good start, if you want some direct advice, buy a Bosch dis pack and keep it as a spare, cos when, and it will be a when, it fails it is less that 10 minutes on a 2.2 to replace....... :y :y :y

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 21 May 2012, 08:47:16 »

Personaly this day and age you get nothing for free and would not expect to. Saying that i would prefer to pay somebody who knows what there are doing Even when money is in short surply. For example my old mechanic moved house and needed it painted so i painted his house and he serviced my wife and fixed my car. All happy no money exchanged hands.
Fixed that for you mate :D :-*
Thanks for that Rob. I need to take her back she is still leaking now and again and the bumpers are drooping ;D ;D ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 21 May 2012, 12:25:39 »

Sorry folks, this is a long one.  ;D

It is without doubt that this Forum gives Omega owners the best available chance to keep their car up and running.  :y

In my younger days, I had an 'A Frame' with block & tackle chains and it was a regular occurance for me to have an engine out of one of my Fords for total engine rebuild. Thinking back, I was really cruel to these engines.   :o ;D For those that remember, we used to strip them down to the bare block, take it to be honed out/rebored and then spend an afternoon rebuilding it with new pistons/crankshaft/top & bottom end etc. You rarely see people working on cars in their driveway now. My parents would see this as a good thing, after years of seeing completely dissected engines in their outhouse.   ::) ;D

I feel that this Forum has given people the confidence to tackle jobs that they would have otherwise been afraid to tackle. The wealth of knowledge & offers of help is overwhelming. Offers of help from people you have never met.  :y I am thankfully able to tackle most jobs on my own but only after I have been pointed in the right direction by someone more knowledgeable. After all, as my old apprentice master used to say, it's only a lump of metal with a load of bolts holding it together.  ;D

As for 'clique', I agree with previous posters who have said that actually meeting people in the flesh goes a long way to breaking barriers. As I am a sociably inadequate person myself, this was the part that I dreaded most. Such is my social inadequacy, I hovered around the Forum for best part of two years before I became a member.  ::) I am hopeless in that department and it doesn't help that I am totally deaf in my left ear & not that great in my right ear, so communication isn't great. Trust me, if I can go to a meet, anyone can. Somebody will always break away from the group to speak to you which means the next time you go you have someone familiar to chat with.

As for posting, I'm not a big poster myself. I only post when I'm certain of the answer for fear of being shot down. I do not join in argumentive posts and I would never reply rudely to anyone.

The Forum is great for Omega knowledge but I'm not sure what is expected of the General Discussion area. Obviously it is seen to have lost its humour which in turn means it has lost its humerous posters.  :-\

In this day and age, I think it's great that members are willing to help people they don't even know. By keeping it polite and showing a bit of common decency to other members is enough for me but maybe not enough for other members.  :-\
I am extremely grateful just for the knowledge on here, the rest is just a bonus.  :y

Regards
Alan

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

OOMV6

« Reply #231 on: 21 May 2012, 12:49:51 »

It is without doubt that this Forum gives Omega owners the best available chance to keep their car up and running.  :y

In my younger days, I had an 'A Frame' with block & tackle chains and it was a regular occurance for me to have an engine out of one of my Fords for total engine rebuild. Thinking back, I was really cruel to these engines.   :o ;D For those that remember, we used to strip them down to the bare block, take it to be honed out/rebored and then spend an afternoon rebuilding it with new pistons/crankshaft/top & bottom end etc. You rarely see people working on cars in their driveway now. My parents would see this as a good thing, after years of seeing completely dissected engines in their outhouse.   ::) ;D

I feel that this Forum has given people the confidence to tackle jobs that they would have otherwise been afraid to tackle. The wealth of knowledge & offers of help is overwhelming. Offers of help from people you have never met.  :y I am thankfully able to tackle most jobs on my own but only after I have been pointed in the right direction by someone more knowledgeable. After all, as my old apprentice master used to say, it's only a lump of metal with a load of bolts holding it together.  ;D

As for 'clique', I agree with previous posters who have said that actually meeting people in the flesh goes a long way to breaking barriers. As I am a sociably inadequate person myself, this was the part that I dreaded most. Such is my social inadequacy, I hovered around the Forum for best part of two years before I became a member.  ::) I am hopeless in that department and it doesn't help that I am totally deaf in my left ear & not that great in my right ear, so communication isn't great. Trust me, if I can go to a meet, anyone can. Somebody will always break away from the group to speak to you which means the next time you go you have someone familiar to chat with.

As for posting, I'm not a big poster myself. I only post when I'm certain of the answer for fear of being shot down. I do not join in argumentive posts and I would never reply rudely to anyone.

The Forum is great for Omega knowledge but I'm not sure what is expected of the General Discussion area. Obviously it is seen to have lost its humour which in turn means it has lost its humerous posters.  :-\

In this day and age, I think it's great that members are willing to help people they don't even know. By keeping it polite and showing a bit of common decency to other members is enough for me but maybe not enough for other members.  :-\
I am extremely grateful just for the knowledge on here, the rest is just a bonus.  :y

Regards
Alan

Well said, that man.  :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #232 on: 21 May 2012, 13:00:06 »

:y

Regards
Alan

good one.. :y

and an important point to talk about.. never fear to be shot down.. no one owns the absolute truth and knowledge ..

every one can be shot down including the most knowledgable members and admins..  at least you will have the chance to

correct your wrong info , if you have..  I , personally, was corrected many times ::)  and never feel shame for it.. and 

never worried about it..   and trust me being a foreign member with a foreign language is not that easy ..

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 21 May 2012, 13:03:47 »

Regards
Alan

and an important point to talk about.. never fear to be shot down.. no one owns the absolute truth and knowledge ..

every one can be shot down including the most knowledgable members and admins..  at least you will have the chance to

correct your wrong info , if you have..  I , personally, was corrected many times ::)  and never feel shame for it.. and 

never worried about it..   and trust me being a foreign member with a foreign language is not that easy ..

Your grasp of the written english language is better than mine Cem :-[ :-[ :-[
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #234 on: 21 May 2012, 13:07:30 »

Regards
Alan

Your grasp of the written english language is better than mine Cem :-[ :-[ :-[

I'm not that sure .. thanks :) :y

omega3000

« Reply #235 on: 21 May 2012, 13:52:10 »

One forum i was on had a room called the LOUNGE where the only way you gained access was to behave like a good boy then they sent you a password  ::) when you logged in they were all in the LOUNGE and didnt come out so the newbies were left fighting on the general forum  ;D

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 21 May 2012, 13:56:16 »

I feel last year that there was too much bitchiness going on and that it disinterested people. Sure people would still log on but perhaps were thinking twice about posting for fear of getting slapped down / couldn't be bothered in getting into a likely tait a tait that would ensue with other members? Then comes the point that alot of people browse for some light relief/relaxation and when confronted with slagging matches think i don't want to spend my time reading anymore because it is not helping you unwind..  I know i felt this way so just chilled for a bit.

Also as alot of people have gathered knowledge when a newbie comes on asking for help who hasn't checked the maintenance guides they have sometimes been subject to an abrupt response. Sure they should check the guides but i think this has also been a reason for a change in the spirit of OOF.

Finally as people get older they tend to have more responsibilities and with this seem to be under greater pressure in their everyday lives and potentially more likely to be quicker to snap back at another persons posts. Think of your life now compared to 5 / 10 years ago and i bet alot has changed (kids, loved ones ill or no longer with us, financial difficulties etc..)
« Last Edit: 21 May 2012, 14:05:34 by Radar »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 21 May 2012, 14:25:45 »

I feel last year that there was too much bitchiness going on and that it disinterested people. Sure people would still log on but perhaps were thinking twice about posting for fear of getting slapped down / couldn't be bothered in getting into a likely tait a tait that would ensue with other members? Then comes the point that alot of people browse for some light relief/relaxation and when confronted with slagging matches think i don't want to spend my time reading anymore because it is not helping you unwind..  I know i felt this way so just chilled for a bit.

Also as alot of people have gathered knowledge when a newbie comes on asking for help who hasn't checked the maintenance guides they have sometimes been subject to an abrupt response. Sure they should check the guides but i think this has also been a reason for a change in the spirit of OOF.

Finally as people get older they tend to have more responsibilities and with this seem to be under greater pressure in their everyday lives and potentially more likely to be quicker to snap back at another persons posts. Think of your life now compared to 5 / 10 years ago and i bet alot has changed (kids, loved ones ill or no longer with us, financial difficulties etc..)

This is a good point!!  :y  Also in the same vein, I've noticed that when a newbie comes along using text speak or WRITING IN CAPITALS, then some people can be downright rude to them!!  ::) 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

feeutfo

« Reply #238 on: 21 May 2012, 14:52:00 »

Personally, I don't know why we bother with the guides,  given the number of posts asking on guide covered subjects as old as the hills. I ain't writing that out "again" is a common thought for me tbh. Where's the sense, do a guide to help others, then write the same later, we could post a link, but they can look for themselves...? No?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 21 May 2012, 15:05:24 »

Chris,  maybe they dont realise it's free?  I know of plenty of forums where you have to pay to get to the maintenance guide, so maybe they just assume it's the same here?

Can a newbie comment on this?  It would be interesting :y
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.