Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 hesitant starter  (Read 3923 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
2.2 hesitant starter
« on: 24 October 2015, 19:25:27 »

2002 2.2 petrol manual saloon
This is the car on which I changed the head gasket recently. It has sat on the lawn for 6 weeks on a SORN note, now I wish to recommission it. On cold start it is inclined to start running slowly on 2 or 3, not respond to the throttle, and die. I try again, it does the same again. I try a third time it bursts into life and idles happily and steadily, and revs sweetly when throttle is opened.

I cannot give it a good thrashing, it's on a SORN note. Does anyone recognise the symptons, or have any suggestions?  I fitted new plugs on reassembly, I have just taken one out, it's a bit sooty. There were 2 codes, P0130 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, and P0170 fuel trim bank 1. I have cancelled them and they have not reappeared.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 hesitant starter
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2015, 20:16:03 »

Only time my 2.2 had throttle pedal issues was when cam sensor was on it's last lets, similar to you, difficult to start once running it was lumpy and throttle pedal was not working. Restart and it was fine for a while.

But as its been standing I'd check plugs wells are fine

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2015, 20:25:37 »

Condensation/damp would be my guess as well :y

Pay particular attention to the coil pack plug and plug wells... best bet would be to leave coil pack in airing cupboard for a day or so and refit with fresh plugs and try again :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2015, 20:48:40 »

Thanks for advice. Coil pack is now in airing cupboard on top of cylinder. I think I have some more plugs somewhere, will check in the morning. .
Is the cam sensor the same as the 2.0?

baggers

• Intermediate Member
  • Heywood, Mcr
    • Omega 3.0 & 2.2
    • View Profile
    • Property for sale/rent Online
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2015, 21:02:49 »

Faulty fuel regulator, air leak to regulator, weak pump, fuel filter??

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2015, 22:21:23 »

You suggest there is insufficient fuel  pressure or volume to sustain engine running; I agree it seems like that. Possible pump is slow in starting, or perhaps the filter is blocked. This would show in sustained full power driving, but hard to test on a SORN note. I have known that in the past on another 2.2, caused by a kinked  pipe near the filter following a botched filter change. I will check in the morning. Car was running fine before the HG change.

There is a vacuum hose from the throttle box to the top of the fuel pressure regulator. Again it was fine before the HG change so I don't expect trouble there. Do regulators often fail? I have never known one do so.

Normally the fuel rail is pressurised after engine stop, isn't it? Pressure has to be released before removing fuel pipes, even after a couple of days. I will check that tomorrow too.

Thanks for suggestions. Food for thought overnight!

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2015, 23:07:13 »

Fuel pump runs briefly to prime the system, but ecu won't run it constantly until the engine fires...

In other words fretting about fuel pressure etc is very much a red herring ;)

They don't like sitting, especially if damp, so might take a while to settle down, besides, if the battery has been off then the ecu has to re learn it's boundaries, which takes time ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2015, 07:57:14 »

Thanks Al. I have only known a similar starting fault once before. That was on my 3.2, when it was the wife's car. That would start, hesitate, then stop; do it again; then fire and catch on the third attempt. I could not cure it. Then I changed the battery; complete cure. Sadly, in this case, I have already tried that.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2015, 10:30:32 »

More data. Pressed fuel relief valve, no fuel squirted out. Interesting. Never known that before.
I only had 2 new plugs, so replaced plugs 1 & 3. Yesterday inspected plug 2. Plugs were OK, no oil or water in plug wells. Replaced coil pack after overnight stay in aitring cupboard. Started engine, fired instantly, ran normally. After 20 minutes. Trid again after 10 minutes, started and stopped. Tried again, started and stopped. Tried third time, started and ran So no change, fault not cured.

Possibly a temperature thing. ECU temp sensor seems to be securely plugged in. Instrument gauge reads OK. Will continue to experiment.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2015, 13:32:21 »

Swap the purple relays from another car and try again :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2015, 17:46:22 »

Swap the purple relays from another car and try again :y
Swapped the relays, it started hot perfectly, but after an hour cooling it reverted to its needing 3 or more attempts to start. The pattern is building of starting first time hot, and quite well cold, but badly when lukewarm. I shall continue to experiment, if you have any more suggestions I should love to try them.

I might add when it was on the lawn and I started it once a week it would usually start first time.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2015, 18:13:24 »

Might be the fpr then... Clutching at straws a bit, but it's either that or the ecu temp sensor has had a fit :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2015, 18:49:53 »

I thought the 2 purple relays were the fuel pump relay (fpr?) and the injectors relay

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2015, 19:56:19 »

Meanwhile, this car needs an MOT test. Is there any reason why I should not submit it as it is? It starts OK hot, I have checked all the obvious things.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2015, 20:18:48 »

I thought the 2 purple relays were the fuel pump relay (fpr?) and the injectors relay
They are indeed... have experienced them playing up when hot, but only on three 3.2s...  :y

No harm in popping it through a test, as long as it idles and revs for the emissions test of course... :y

If nowt else at least then you'll know what's what with the car as a whole ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.