Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 hesitant starter  (Read 3922 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 hesitant starter
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2015, 21:38:40 »

I thought the 2 purple relays were the fuel pump relay (fpr?) and the injectors relay
They are indeed... have experienced them playing up when hot, but only on three 3.2s...  :y

No harm in popping it through a test, as long as it idles and revs for the emissions test of course... :y

If nowt else at least then you'll know what's what with the car as a whole ;)
So as I have changed both the purple relays, all that is left is the ECU temperature sensor. I agree it is unlikely, I have changed them before in vain, but I have no more ideas. Furthermore, it was disturbed in the HG change. Other possibilties that come to mind are the cam sensor and the crank sensor, the usual suspects.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2015, 22:08:13 »

So as I have changed both the purple relays, all that is left is the ECU temperature sensor. I agree it is unlikely, I have changed them before in vain, but I have no more ideas. Furthermore, it was disturbed in the HG change. Other possibilities that come to mind are the cam sensor and the crank sensor, the usual suspects.

You need to inspect things that are affected by lack of use. That doesn't apply to any of those sensors.

Your initial misfire clearing as it warms up should lead you to potentially lazy components like fuel injectors or cam lifters. Standing for long periods can easily affect both of these. The fuel pump is another candidate, although it is more likely to simply seize.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2015, 18:54:51 »

Put in in for MOT today. On initial emissions test it had low Co, Low HC, but high (1.09) lambda. Tester ran through all other tests, failed it on a track rod end, then put it through emissions again, and it passed, lambda 1.006. At the end the EML was on. Can anyone explain that?

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2015, 19:13:40 »

Mine does that too ::) if I clear the 0420/0430 codes when I arrive at the test centre, the light goes out... by the time it's finished the test it's back on again from sitting around/getting hot...

Basically though, one track rod end and the car is MoTd :y

Certainly not a bad result...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2015, 20:55:50 »

Mine does that too ::) if I clear the 0420/0430 codes when I arrive at the test centre, the light goes out... by the time it's finished the test it's back on again from sitting around/getting hot...

Basically though, one track rod end and the car is MoTd :y

Certainly not a bad result...
My code was P0170 fuel trim bank 1. I have now changed the track rod and reset the tracking with my plank, so hope to get it through tomorrow, and tax it on Sunday Nov 1st. That will just leave the clutch slave fluid leak.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2015, 17:43:18 »

Car passed MOT today midday, tester expressed surprise at speed of sourcing a new TR and getting it fitted. My thanks to all for help.
Still not discovered the cause of the hesitant starting when lukewarm, maybe SIR Philpott was right when he said it needed an Italian tune up - good thrashing - to sort it out. When it is taxed I shall use it daily and see if it is fit to return to son Jonny.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 November 2015, 09:08:12 »

KR02 is now fully recommissioned - insured, taxed, new MOT. It suffered head gasket failure in July so I planned replacement, but SWMO, SIR Philbutt and cheap gasket set prices persuaded me it might be saved. Thanks to all for advice and support.

I hope a pic follows of the Omega saved from the scrapyard.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8h8hugow59t91y/RS02inDRIVE50%25.jpg?dl=0

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2015, 12:54:56 »

Good work :y
« Last Edit: 01 November 2015, 13:10:38 by Harris K Telemacher »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 November 2015, 13:09:03 »

Epilogue - this morning when the mist cleared I took it out on a celebratory spin on the Mendip Hills - Chewton Mendip, Harptree, Blagdon, fine view of Blagdon Lake below, then around Bristol Airport, Chew Stoke, across Chew Valley Lake dam, Stowey, Chewton Mendip and home. Car never missed a beat, sweet drive, and over the 33 mile it recorded 36mpg, jolly good for a 2.2. Engibe is torquey, climbed most of the hills in top gear.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 November 2015, 13:58:03 »

would love your garage terry  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2015, 13:42:16 »

3 weeks and 1000 miles down the road, yesterday it started hesitantly again. Now I think I know why. If wrong, I am sure you will tell me.
Car is fly by wire. On cranking starter fuel pump is operated. At other times fuel pump only gets power when crank sensor tells ECU rpm is above 500. Warm engine fires up, but only idle throttle is applied by ECU no matter where my right foot is, rpm falls below 500, fuel pump power is cut off so engine stops. I restart engine, it bursts into life.

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2015, 13:51:46 »

Try swapping the fuel pressure regulator for a n other, 3 bar iirc... :-\

JoeRadosavljevich

• Serbia
    • '94 LPG'd Omega 2.0 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2015, 19:42:21 »

Does it have an Idle Air Control Valve, the thing that controls rpm's while stationary? If so it would be beneficial to clean it.

Although I own an older 2.0 model IACV is a bottleneck on these engines. 

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 November 2015, 22:09:06 »

Does it have an Idle Air Control Valve, the thing that controls rpm's while stationary? If so it would be beneficial to clean it.

Although I own an older 2.0 model IACV is a bottleneck on these engines.
No it doesn't, its a fly by wire engine where thr throttle is controlled by a stepper motor. The throttle pedal merely drives a variable resistor, advising the ECU of driver's wishes. The idle is similarly controlled by the ECU opening and closing the main, and only throttle. I have a 1997 2.0 Omega, and that does have an idle air control valve, but the 2.2s are different.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 November 2015, 22:23:49 »

Try swapping the fuel pressure regulator for a n other, 3 bar iirc... :-\
Thanks for the suggestion. I will see if I have one lying about, if so I will fit it. I would add that for the last three weeks the car has run faultlessly, but the fault recurred yesterday as I came out of Screwfix; engine was warm.

I do not see how the fuel pressure regulator would cause this fault.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.