News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRE!  (Read 1970 times)

stevenw

• View Profile
FIRE!
« on: 20 January 2007, 11:51:58 »

Hello everyone, haven't posted for ages, haven't visited for a while. The reasons, the Elite has been faultless, an absolute pleasure to drive, and there are people on here who know much more than I do.
But, yesterday morning while driving to town, smoke came pouring out from under the bonnet, followed by flames. Opened the bonnet to find the wiring leading to the ECU on fire. Put out the fire but the damage is done. Some of the wires have turned to dust!
So the insurance company are involved now and I think it's a write off. :'(
Just like to thank everyone for their help when I first got the car and had a few problems.
Great forum, always plenty of help.
If someone can tell me how, and anyones interested, I have 2 photos of the damage but don't know how to post them.
TO SAY I'M GUTTED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
Re: FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2007, 11:53:27 »

F*cking hell! Could've been a lot worse though.

Any idea how it started?

stevenw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2007, 12:01:22 »

No. I thought it might have had something to do with the LPG relay which is in the same place. On looking closer though, the only signs of burning on the relay wiring are the wires that were next to the wiring loom. The damage to the wiring loom goes quite deep. Also, where the wiring joins the black plastic cover that runs across the rockerbox is burned and melted. Strangely thre are no blown fuses.
And you are right, it could have been much, much worse.

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2007, 12:04:34 »

I guess it must have been a short or something.

I've been in a car with an engine fire and it's not nice. Especially when I was in a petrol station at the time  :-[

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2007, 12:08:21 »

I guess it must have been a short or something.

I've been in a car with an engine fire and it's not nice. Especially when I was in a petrol station at the time  :-[

I tried to extinguish an under-bonnet fire on a car once (not my car), if the fire is serious it can't really be done with a small exinguisher.... in the end the fire brigade came and put it out with foam.

Alas, no more Omegas....

stevenw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2007, 12:15:43 »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2007, 12:16:41 »

Sorry about your car mate
Alas, no more Omegas....

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2007, 13:06:37 »

Unless it's quite a new Elite (meaning still worth a fair bit) then it probably will be written off :(. Too much work to replace the loom so it'll cost a fair whack. Pity something so small can spell the death knell for an otherwise perfectly good car.

BigCat

• Battersea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2007, 14:10:23 »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what's involved in replacing the loom? Does the whole dash panel have to come out, or can it be worked out through the slots and grooves?

The first 90% of a job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2007, 15:21:46 »

Oh dear - not nice, with my refit I fused the LPG wires just in case something similar happened - on the original install the LPG loom was melted through

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2007, 15:55:41 »

man , that is both heartbreaking and terrifying....

our sincerest condolences on the potential total loss of the omega....

on the bright side..  at least YOU are okay and not fried to a crisp, wrapped up under a lorry, or something else too horrible to contemplate.....

Here's hoping the insurance pays out enough for you to replace your meega with a newer, nicer one....

best of luck.

regards

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

stevenw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2007, 16:14:53 »

In the photo showing the main relay box the 10 amp fuse in the top corner is for the LPG wiring.
Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and support. You have be philosphical I guess and say to yourself, it's just a lump of metal and can be replaced. (Easier than it sounds).

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2007, 16:36:44 »

well upsetting m8.
 i had my mondeo fill up with smoke a couple of years ago , managed to pull over straight away and shut it all down and open all the windows. it turned out to be a heater motor relay burn out. i managed to isolate the damage only to the relay itself.
unfortunately being in a bigger wiring loom you were totally unlucky. hope you get a good deal from the ins company.
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2007, 17:46:12 »

Unless it's quite a new Elite (meaning still worth a fair bit) then it probably will be written off :(. Too much work to replace the loom so it'll cost a fair whack. Pity something so small can spell the death knell for an otherwise perfectly good car.

100%.

See my other thread re the Prius...

This whole car is going into a landfill just because it is too much work to replace the loom... what the government should be doing is not encourage us to bin old cars and buy new ('less-polluting') ones, what they should do is make sure garages don't charge £50 per hour - this is what kills cars that could have otherwise been repaired and driven on for years and years... and sure enough, it one car goes out of circulation another one will be built to take it's place... what a waste.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2007, 18:14:53 »

100%.

See my other thread re the Prius...

This whole car is going into a landfill just because it is too much work to replace the loom... what the government should be doing is not encourage us to bin old cars and buy new ('less-polluting') ones, what they should do is make sure garages don't charge £50 per hour - this is what kills cars that could have otherwise been repaired and driven on for years and years... and sure enough, it one car goes out of circulation another one will be built to take it's place... what a waste.
Well said Markjay :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.