Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: smoke from the engine bay. never good  (Read 3175 times)

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
Re: smoke from the engine bay. never good
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2008, 21:02:03 »

? oil cooler... there is a flow chart here somewhere to do a selfdiagnostic orry Im not much help.

here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209123016/0#0
best of luck :y
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 July 2008, 21:07:19 »

? oil cooler... there is a flow chart here somewhere to do a selfdiagnostic orry Im not much help.

here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209123016/0#0
best of luck :y

:y :y Thats the one! Thanks Hereford.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2008, 21:14:11 »

:'( :'( :'( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

i got me an you guys an update and it's a case of a little good, some not-so-bad and lots of bad news really.

Good news is, no pipes are burning or split or anything. Not-so-bad news is there's precious little oil in the plug wells.  :y

bad news is, the beast has been drinking coolant and dripping some oil. The oil's coming out from the right side camcover gasket and both burning off by the exhaust and dripping down the engine :(

Went to a mechanic today and within seconds said " that smell is burning oil........it's coming from the rocker gasket.....there might be steam coming from the front of the engine.......might be water pump, maybe head gasket."

took off filler cap, oodles of mayo. and with engine running, steam too!

visual and verbal verdict.
head gasket gone on right hand side. maybe not on other. waaaah!
excess pressure from water in the cylinders causing oil to force out through newish rocker gasket and bad running (ie not all cylinders starting up straightaway.) i confirmed that it has been a bit lumpy sometimes!

havent had time to price up/investigate head gasket costs but is it even worth it on an 85k 9 year old motor?!

ho hum. best not drive it any more eh?!

Hold on before thinking the head gasket has gone........
So you have a coolant leak... Is the HBV leaking? Is the reservoir cap leaking? Do you have oil in the water reservoir, looks like brown sludge?
Is there steam coming from the front of then engine?  

Is there water in the oil when you pull the dipstick?
Mayo is normal on the Oil Filler cap when the car is doing short journeys.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2008, 21:32:25 »

i'd like to try the selfdiagnostic.. but the oil cooler and hbv were done only last year....:(
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

psychnurse

• Omega Baron
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
  • Whats in the fridge today? Beer and Sausages....UM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2008, 21:36:44 »

i'd like to try the selfdiagnostic.. but the oil cooler and hbv were done only last year....:(

Try the flow chart in the link above a few posts back. Just see what it reckons. Then let u know how you got on with it. :y

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 July 2008, 21:37:57 »

:'( :'( :'( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

i got me an you guys an update and it's a case of a little good, some not-so-bad and lots of bad news really.

Good news is, no pipes are burning or split or anything. Not-so-bad news is there's precious little oil in the plug wells.  :y

bad news is, the beast has been drinking coolant and dripping some oil. The oil's coming out from the right side camcover gasket and both burning off by the exhaust and dripping down the engine :(

Went to a mechanic today and within seconds said " that smell is burning oil........it's coming from the rocker gasket.....there might be steam coming from the front of the engine.......might be water pump, maybe head gasket."

took off filler cap, oodles of mayo. and with engine running, steam too!

visual and verbal verdict.
head gasket gone on right hand side. maybe not on other. waaaah!
excess pressure from water in the cylinders causing oil to force out through newish rocker gasket and bad running (ie not all cylinders starting up straightaway.) i confirmed that it has been a bit lumpy sometimes!

havent had time to price up/investigate head gasket costs but is it even worth it on an 85k 9 year old motor?!

ho hum. best not drive it any more eh?!

Hold on before thinking the head gasket has gone........
So you have a coolant leak... Is the HBV leaking? Is the reservoir cap leaking? Do you have oil in the water reservoir, looks like brown sludge?
Is there steam coming from the front of then engine?  

Is there water in the oil when you pull the dipstick?
Mayo is normal on the Oil Filler cap when the car is doing short journeys.
thanks for the link, i'll try reading it in a min. but yeah fyi the hbv was replaced and doesnt look damp again, the cap's sound, there's no oil in the water (like before the oil cooler was done), there is steam coming from the oil cap when it's opened but not sure about any from the front - would that be the water pump? the oil looks maybe ok, maybe slightly thin on the dipstick - its hard to tell as i've had to top it up recently!
i know mayo is normal on short journeys, and i do alot of them! but i got lots of the stuff now and everything else points to the HG.. i think
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 July 2008, 21:40:14 »

gonna get me snifter round the header tank tomorrow and let you know if i smell fumes :):) !!

anyone know how long or how much a HG fix is anyway?!

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 July 2008, 23:05:16 »

I have excactly this problem But lets not forget taht even after repalcing the gaskets and O rings, the chances are that previous owners may have over-tightened the rocker cover bolts and caused them to distort - especially under extreme heat. No matter how methodical you are with torque settings, using genuine gaskets etc.... if the cover is warped you stand no chance. Bloody stupid making them out of plastic anyway!! >:(

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2008, 23:51:44 »

any idea how to check if they're warped?? an how much did it  cost you to sort the hg prob?

trebor

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2008, 00:17:15 »

Doing the job myself cost me £200 inc new water pump and top radiator hose and a few extra tools.

ianboyo

• Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2008, 19:32:54 »

i would check the can covers again might not of seated properly when assembled back together

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 July 2008, 17:19:07 »

ho hum.

well i don't really know what exhaust fumes should smell like in a header tank but both when cold and warm the tank smelled of petrol i think. the mayo on the filler cap and all in the filler pipe is tan coloured. the flow chart isn't working at the moment thanks to ROlex invasion of the site!

i've been suggested best part of a grand for replacing both head gaskets as "it's silly to only do one, and of course the heads need skimming"

hmmm.....  :'(

so..... how do you check that the cam covers are straight.
anybody fancy lending me the tools to butcher fix the problem

or any other advice?

like sell it?!!

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2008, 21:33:25 »

I have excactly this problem But lets not forget taht even after repalcing the gaskets and O rings, the chances are that previous owners may have over-tightened the rocker cover bolts and caused them to distort - especially under extreme heat. No matter how methodical you are with torque settings, using genuine gaskets etc.... if the cover is warped you stand no chance. Bloody stupid making them out of plastic anyway!! >:(

I'm no expert but the warped cam cover theory concurs with what my local VX dealer has told me.
My cam cover gaskets were changed  a couple of months ago by the previous owner of my car and the O/S cover still leaks.
I have been quoted circa £330 to replace both covers and gaskets.  :o
However in the meantime I continue to enjoy the smell of burnt oil for a short time after completing my journey. :'(
I spend far too much money on my Omega

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2008, 21:42:52 »

I would be very sceptical about reports that the cam covers are warped. Surely metal is more likely to suffer the permanent stretching that would be necessary to cause this.
Much more likely that torque values of cam cover bolts, (8nm), has not been meticulously or consistently observed.

Budgie

• Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2008, 21:49:43 »

I would be very sceptical about reports that the cam covers are warped. Surely metal is more likely to suffer the permanent stretching that would be necessary to cause this.
Much more likely that torque values of cam cover bolts, (8nm), has not been meticulously or consistently observed.
Good point - however the cam covers in question I believe are manufactured from a composite material rather like modern car radiators and other heat resistant parts. The warping ability would be based on the material's threshold of elasticty - i.e. the point from which there is no return. :-/
Anyhoo I agree - they should have used a more suitable material in the first place.  :(
I spend far too much money on my Omega
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.