Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP MAJOR HELP PLEASE  (Read 3006 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
HELP MAJOR HELP PLEASE
« on: 22 December 2006, 20:37:43 »

Right I am Mega Stuck

After Getting My HG done I drove 250 miles back home everything seemed fine left the car for about 3 hours and went off to fill up with Gas.

After Filling Up I saw that the Oil light was on which i thought strange thats never been on before and drove the car back around the corner home and is sounded terrible Like a Diesal

Checked the Dipstick and it looks ok but its dark and the oil was changed in the engine as was the oil filter so it will be alot clearer than it normaly is

I think the Guy who has done my head gasket had knacked it Ohhhh Ill be going through him tomorrow i can tell you.

I am asking is there any other reason the oil light would come on ie like the oil pump is knacked or would it only be oil level low.

The engine sound like its metal on metal from around the top area ie the rocker area. or as i would say is sound like a bag of hammers but worse.

If the engine is knacked the guy who fixed it will be replacing it.

And I dont know how on earth i am going to get it back down south I am totaly stuck its right knacked my Xmas.

Craig
« Last Edit: 22 December 2006, 20:39:12 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

STMO123

Re: HELP MAJOR HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2006, 20:45:20 »

So sorry for you Craig :'(

An oil light means low oil pressure, usually because level is too low, but, if level is ok, then I'm afraid the oil is not being chucked around the engine.

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2006, 20:46:25 »

PS. You say you drove it 250 miles home, but you're still up north?

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2006, 08:39:45 »

I am Living in Watford And Drove Back for Xmas To Middlesbrough 250 miles

sorry i call both home lol

Off to see if i can find a garade open wish me luck

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2006, 09:08:48 »

I'm not an expert on this but I'd suspect your oil pickup (in the sump) has been clogged (by muck shifted during the HG change) and oil is not being pumped round the engine properly.

You need to stop driving it immediately to prevent any further damage.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2006, 09:14:43 »

i am not driving that car anywhere as it sounds like a tank.

So this would be the guys fault who changed the HG then as i dont want to be throwing cah as this after just paying to hve it so called fixed

Craig
Mod's

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2006, 20:55:55 »

Don't want to dampen your spirits, but if it drove 250 miles without a problem after the HG change, there is a good chance it's not something the mechanic has done, but the failure of a component after the HG change, maybe as another member said the oil pump had a hard time with the old sludge, and was on it's last legs, and died on you after the 250 miles.

If you have driven on an engine with no oil being pumped, then the outlook is not good. When this happened on my GLS the con-rod came through the block and ruined the engine.

Unfortunately I think your recourse on this mechanic is nil, and I hate to say, maybe rightly so. If you've driven 250 miles with no misfire or coolant/oil loss, there's no major faults with his HG change.

Just an opinion. Really sorry this has happened at this time of year, I feel for you.

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2006, 21:11:34 »

Don't want to dampen your spirits, but if it drove 250 miles without a problem after the HG change, there is a good chance it's not something the mechanic has done, but the failure of a component after the HG change, maybe as another member said the oil pump had a hard time with the old sludge, and was on it's last legs, and died on you after the 250 miles.

If you have driven on an engine with no oil being pumped, then the outlook is not good. When this happened on my GLS the con-rod came through the block and ruined the engine.

Unfortunately I think your recourse on this mechanic is nil, and I hate to say, maybe rightly so. If you've driven 250 miles with no misfire or coolant/oil loss, there's no major faults with his HG change.

Just an opinion. Really sorry this has happened at this time of year, I feel for you.

I agree James, the prognosis is not good.

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2006, 23:47:25 »

How bad was was HG gone. if engine was all sludged up with contaminted oil/water the mechanic should have recommended a sump removal to clean out sludge. Also if engine was running for 250 miles all debris would be moving around sump in the oil. but once you had stopped debris would have dropped to bottom of sump to be instantly picked up by oil pick once restarted and block pick up or pump or jam pressure relief valve  open!  Either way I wouldn't drive it as has been said and trailer to repairers, once fault has been found (After prewarning previous repiarer) contact him to find out who is paying the bill. Unless the cause is a mechanicaly broken part. A worn pump would have given evidence of failure before during the 250 miles like warning lamp flashing at idle etc.
Hope this helps :)
You came in that, your braver than i thought

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
  • She who must be obeyed's motor !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2006, 09:22:52 »

I cannot help but agree with the above !  :(      Sorry and good luck in getting it fixed.
Darryl

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2006, 09:37:54 »

In principal I agree with the above, my only reservation would be if you open the engine and happen to spot something obviously very wrong (e.g. a bolt or nut that dropped into the valve gear etc - unlikely I agree but not unheard off). At any rate you should first find out what is actually wrong with the engine....

Alas, no more Omegas....

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2006, 16:06:34 »

Well I guess ill have to wait to see what the AA man says when i call him out
Ill just get the Car towed back to the south on the 28th and drop it off at the mechanics place and let him have a look.

If its too expensive ill have to get rid of the car as i cant afford to keep having things like this happening.

I am totally Gutted about whats happened but i am not going to let it spoil my Xmas ill worry about it after i get the car back to the south its going to be a long day traveling back on the back of a low loader.

Well everybody have a lovely Xmas.

Craig
Mod's

STMO123

« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2006, 17:29:46 »

Keep your chin up Craig. And......if you do have to stretch to a new car, make sure it's an omega, or you'll miss us all terribly :'(

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2006, 13:44:32 »

Had the AA man Out today and he said the noise is the tappets as they are hydrolic and there is no pressure, he said it cud be the iol pump but sounds more like muck in the bottom as has been said.

Fingers crossed the engine is ok as  i did not drive it to far i only drove it back about 1/2 mile.

I am getting back to the south tomorrow on the back of an AA lowloader and dropping it off at the Guy who did the HG.

Thinking about it he did say the oil was Dark and should of asked if i wanted it flushing out or the sump taking of and cleaning.

Two Questions   Can i take the Sump off without removing the engine as the Guy who fixed the HG says it will need to be removed the engine.

Second Question  Where is the Oil Pump and how hard is it to get to ? as i have been told the oil pump has a pressure valve which might have muck trapping it open.

Craig

Mod's

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2006, 19:44:01 »

personally i would have changed the oil when the HG was changed, just in case there was contamination.

The oil pump is on the front of the engine, at the bottom, the oil pressure valve can be removed without having the remove the pump, that is a sump off job as the pick up is connected to the pump.

I cant remember if the sump will come off a RWD without engine removal, i cant remember if the crossmember gets in the way.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2006, 21:57:57 »

...Two Questions   Can i take the Sump off without removing the engine as the Guy who fixed the HG says it will need to be removed the engine....

In principal this is correct… according to Haynes you can get away though with removing the two transmission housing support brackets and the right-hand engine support mount, then slacking the left-hand engine support mount and tilting the engine up and sideways using a hoist (left and right in Haynes are as viewed from the driver’s seat!)

« Last Edit: 27 December 2006, 21:59:51 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2006, 09:02:00 »

Jay the oil was changed i guess i just have bad luck with this car

I am getting picked up in an hour so it going to be a long trip back Boooooo

Getting my car dropped off at the mechanics and he can deal with it, ill make sure he cleans it all out so i dont have this again.

The oil has been changed  twice next will be the 3rd in 6 months every 5000 miles it gets done.

just shows you can never tell if a 2nd hand car has been looked after which i dont think this has might have to have a good all roud flush and claen out to make sure.

Craig
Mod's

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2006, 09:37:00 »

Bad luck mate, with those oil changes you should have been fine.

STMO123

« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2006, 11:37:45 »

Fingers crossed Craig :)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 18 queries.