Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Young driver car insurance  (Read 1724 times)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
Re: Young driver car insurance
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2010, 18:57:30 »

Most teenagers would'nt be seen dead in a classic car but i believe classic policies are cheaper for new drivers. I don't imagine your son would want to drive a Moggie Minor etc...(i would)!! bvut maybe something cheap to buy like a 1300 Dolly/Toledo, a little Midget, Mini or Cortina? He might not like them but relatively speaking he could pay between half or 2/3rds less, build up some no claims etc...
    Just a thought. ::)   
Curry makes the world go round!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2010, 19:36:45 »

My son has passed his theory test and is going for the practical test soon.
Have been checking insurance and whilst he was learning premium would be £860.00. When/if he passes the best insurance quote so far is £3300.00 for third part only on an unmodified Citroen Saxo 1.1.

Someone else posted about the cost of insurance recently, and I feel I owe them an apology for quoting the cheaper price, forgetting that my son only had provisional licence.

By the way spoke to decent broker and was told that females would only pay about half what males are being charged at the moment.

Suffice to say he will not be insuring the car, and driving will be off limits to him for quite awhile. I ponder what the knock on effects to employment etc. will be.

Are we going to end up with a generation who will not be able/willing to drive. Insurance companies will loose money long term, these people may be unemployabe, benefit bill to rise. etc.etc.

>:( >:(

Just been through the exact same thing with Master Vamps, and he only has the lowly 1.0L engine in his Saxo, goes well though for a little car....

Same with work, we live in a rural village with terrible public transport coverage.

I was getting quotes for around the £2k mark, and I also made the same mistake, forgetting that his insurance would go UP after passing his test, from under £600 last year.  That did count as one year ncb though......

Got him a job, working for my brother, so we needed him on the road....

We  also have 2 Omega's and mine was due, so we have ended up with an Admiral multi car policy. :y
It pushed my cost up a lump but brought his down by a massive 25% so effectively we saved overall about £500, his working out at around £1500.  I paid the premium and he is paying me back on a monthly basis.. ::) ::) ::)

PS. I should add, after reading Andy's post, both his mother and myself are down as named drivers, it does help..... :y
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 22:01:57 by floodm »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2010, 21:53:08 »

young male drivers, as you say, are targeted by the insurance companies and my son fitted their statistics perfectly. Within weeks of getting his car on the road he'd had two accidents both due to excessive speed and lack of skill. Insurance is no longer a problem for him as he lost his licence by getting 6 points ..... speeding x 2 ..... within 2 years of getting his licence. But adding his Mum as a named driver did knock a few hundred off the premium.
As for fines for not having any insurance, they're a farce. I know some one  :-X :-X :-X :-X who was caught driving his mate's Mum's car with no insurance (it wasn't even insured by the Mum so no guesses as to why it was pulled) whilst disqualified for getting 6 points in the first 2 yrs  ::) and the fine was a whopping £100!  :-? :-? :-? I can't remember if points were added  :-/

Ralph

• Northumberland
    • 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2010, 19:07:46 »

Try I-Kube, they insured my 18 year old son's first car for 1300, for fully comp on a 1.4 Astra. He isn't allowed to drive after 11pm or before 5am and they fit a tracking device to monitor this. It was around 600 less than he'd been quoted elsewhere. A bit of a bonus as far as I'm concerned, as it keeps him off the road at night.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2010, 21:23:10 »

.... and they fit a tracking device to monitor this.  ....
what would happen if you drove it? & how would  they know it was you and not Master Ralph?

The last tracker fitted to an OOF car was for Norwich Union and they caused £100's of damage doing so.

Ralph

• Northumberland
    • 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2010, 09:59:56 »

They charge you 45.00 if the car moves irrespective of who drives it. Son parked his car badly while staying overnight at a friends house. Someone else moved it to  let another car out, result bill for 45.00.

mantahatch

« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2010, 10:45:49 »

Try I-Kube, they insured my 18 year old son's first car for 1300, for fully comp on a 1.4 Astra. He isn't allowed to drive after 11pm or before 5am and they fit a tracking device to monitor this. It was around 600 less than he'd been quoted elsewhere. A bit of a bonus as far as I'm concerned, as it keeps him off the road at night.

I am on the phone to them now. Will let you no how it turns out.  :y

mantahatch

« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2010, 11:22:03 »

I Kube £5000.00  :o

Ralph

• Northumberland
    • 2.6 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2010, 23:01:40 »

Hell of a lot of money, don't understand that, can the Astra be in a lower group.
I know we live in what is to be considered a low risk area, but he had only passed his test the month before, He reinsured with them again.
He has now had to change companies as they won't insure his new car, BMW 316, I'll ask who he has moved to, but I believe he has insured that at about the same cost, he had his 20th birthday last month.
I have a 17 year old about to start driving, not looking forward to getting her insurance.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2010, 23:12:29 »

Friend of mine in the third thursday car club was on about his 18 yr old son getting cheaper quote for a land rover disco than a peugot 206 :-? He went to Farmers Mutual?well thats what he told me-how true it would be I don't know
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2010, 23:52:36 »

Friend of mine in the third thursday car club was on about his 18 yr old son getting cheaper quote for a land rover disco than a peugot 206 :-? He went to Farmers Mutual?well thats what he told me-how true it would be I don't know

NFU, there is some truth it that, just did not work for us... :( :(

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 October 2010, 15:41:25 »

if hes under 21, ask about pass plus - it could save a fortune as most insurers will give you the equivalent of 1 years ncd, immediately halving any premium  :y

50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

Mysteryman

« Reply #27 on: 31 October 2010, 18:05:09 »

if hes under 21, ask about pass plus - it could save a fortune as most insurers will give you the equivalent of 1 years ncd, immediately halving any premium  :y

Not since statistics were produced showing that a pass plus didn't make a blind bit of difference. Young people still go too fast and crash even after passing it.
It's in their blood you see. ;D

mantahatch

« Reply #28 on: 31 October 2010, 18:11:30 »

Hell of a lot of money, don't understand that, can the Astra be in a lower group.
I know we live in what is to be considered a low risk area, but he had only passed his test the month before, He reinsured with them again.
He has now had to change companies as they won't insure his new car, BMW 316, I'll ask who he has moved to, but I believe he has insured that at about the same cost, he had his 20th birthday last month.
I have a 17 year old about to start driving, not looking forward to getting her insurance.

So I am told by the brokers, it is about 50% for females  >:(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.