Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speeding ticket for Opti  (Read 4543 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Speeding ticket for Opti
« on: 13 March 2013, 11:26:40 »

........40 mph in a 30 mph limit.

My choices are this......a £60 fine or a speed awareness course for £90

Of course, had an actual rozzer pulled me over he could have applied something called "discretion". Whatever happened to that? >:( >:( >:(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding ticket for Opti
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2013, 11:31:18 »

Least course means no points  :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2013, 11:31:57 »

Do speed awareness and send wife to do it for you
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2013, 11:32:32 »

seriously - do the course and keep points off licence - insurance implications
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2013, 11:35:39 »

That means your paying £10 per point, or should I say per minus point, know what I would do.  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2013, 11:37:34 »

The speed awareness course that they've offered me is 150 miles away. I presume there are others that are closer.

I've also asked for a photograph to be sent to me.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2013, 12:11:11 »

Bloody Crim!!!!!  :P Send him down no early release.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2013, 12:18:13 »

:D :D your a very naughty boy opti you should have your bum smacked :D :D
  seriously tho opti very unlucky there turning off more and more camaras these days but i would take the corse if you can stay awake
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2013, 12:23:08 »

The speed awareness course that they've offered me is 150 miles away. I presume there are others that are closer.

better pay the fine imo.. fuel and course time is also money.. :(

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2013, 12:24:11 »

if they catch me I would loose my license forever.. as my avg speeds are always x times of the legal :-X

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2013, 12:29:01 »

Unlucky Opti!  :( :(

"But for the grace of God could go I" comes to mind! ::) ::)  :D;)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2013, 12:30:09 »

Don't worry, you could do that in an hour in your miggy............no sweat! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Why the photo? Was it an attractive female officer that you want a photo of? :o :o :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Sorry, I shouldn't make fun of your bad time Opti! ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 12:32:10 by Lizzie Zoom »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2013, 12:32:42 »

if they catch me I would loose my license forever.. as my avg speeds are always x times of the legal :-X

Luckily the Turkish police are easy to bribe, Cem.........so I hear. ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2013, 12:34:55 »

Don't worry, you could do that in an hour in your miggy............no sweat! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Why the photo? Was it an attractive female officer that you want a photo of? :o :o :o

I'm genuinely unsure who was driving, Lizzie. :-* :-* :-* :-*

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2013, 12:36:12 »

Luckily the Turkish police are easy to bribe, Cem.........so I hear. ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

it was easy before until they introduce the radars with photo >:(

but fortunately most of their positions are known and shared on the net.. ;D

highway positions can also be predicted as their fuel costs are limited (entrance and exits of city) ::)

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2013, 12:37:24 »

I'm genuinely unsure who was driving, Lizzie. :-* :-* :-* :-*

OMG, not another Chris Huhne  incident coming up! :o :o :o :o :o :D :D ;)

Blame Jan! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2013, 12:51:02 »

Well if your going down that route then don't admit any guilt. Stand firm and write,phone and beg for the picture. I bet they still try to take you to but it's up to them to prove you guilty and for that you need the photo which I bet won't turn up. It will probably go all the way to the wire but I bet at the last minute they drop it.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

scottambrose

« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2013, 12:55:26 »

some insurance companys will rape you if you've gone on the course too. >:(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2013, 12:59:01 »

Don't see why, most only ask if you have any convictions or points in last 5 years. A course is neither  :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2013, 12:59:57 »

Well if your going down that route then don't admit any guilt. Stand firm and write,phone and beg for the picture. I bet they still try to take you to but it's up to them to prove you guilty and for that you need the photo which I bet won't turn up. It will probably go all the way to the wire but I bet at the last minute they drop it.

Not true any more... If you cannot determine the driver it falls back onto the registered keeper, as my old fella found out to his cost last year after ignoring my advice and appealing... 6 Points and £500 plus costs later he admitted he should have taken my advice ::) ;)

If you want my opinion, try for the picture but don't argue it. Once you know who's driving or, if you can't decide, which of you was driving ::) Either take the course (which may be able to get transferred to the local course provider as I assume you were in another force area) or the points and £60 :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2013, 13:46:58 »

Take the course, it will cost you more than that in increased insurance policies for the next 3 years.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2013, 13:56:33 »

Don't see why, most only ask if you have any convictions or points in last 5 years. A course is neither  :-\
I think you are supposed to tell them. :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2013, 13:57:49 »

I do agree but it actually says on the speed awareness course letter that you should notify your insurer's that you have been on the course.  :(  I think it's so thay can send you a certificate of achievement.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

As I was unsure who was driving, I asked for the photo and they sent it to me no problem.  :y  It does state that if you intend to contest it, they will only produce the photo in court but if you are genuinely unsure who was driving they will send it to you. I've still got my photo as a reminder.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2013, 13:58:20 »

Oh, and if you feel hard done by... SWMBO got a course for doing 43 in a 40 :o :o Even the person running the course said she shouldn't have been there and it should have been dealt with by discretion and a quiet word, but a camera can't do that ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2013, 14:27:40 »

Take the course mate - actually quite interesting particulary if you get an rsol on your course - we had one who tried to be obstructive and argumental all the way through.  The two guys running the course easily dealt with him and failed him at the end.  That meant that he had paid out for the course, but would now also cop the fine and points ::)

I got done in Stevenage - police sent me a web link which had all the photos of my car, incl close up of plates and driver!

The documentation I was given at the couse stated that, providing you got your pass certificate, you needn't inform your insurers as your potential offence had been cancelled.  This was also confirmed verbally by one of the facilitators.

My course was originally scheduled in Stevenage - I contacted police and asked for a nearer course - they sent me details of one in Northampton, which was the one I attended.

HTH ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2013, 15:06:49 »

Oh, and if you feel hard done by... SWMBO got a course for doing 43 in a 40 :o :o Even the person running the course said she shouldn't have been there and it should have been dealt with by discretion and a quiet word, but a camera can't do that ::)

I managed 53 in a 30 and got away with a course  ;D

On bike someone pulled out ahead, instead of stomping on brakes, dab of power out and around. Bam. Radar gun  >:(

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2013, 15:44:11 »

<snip>
The documentation I was given at the couse stated that, providing you got your pass certificate, you needn't inform your insurers as your potential offence had been cancelled.  This was also confirmed verbally by one of the facilitators.
HTH ;)

Hmmm, it would appear that some are not abiding by this statement and are not playing ball:

Drivers who attend a speed awareness course instead of taking a fine and points on their licence may see their insurance premiums increase.
Some Insurer's are treating it as if it were a conviction, even though the police do not.
The insurance groups says its statistics show that drivers who have attended a course, pose a higher risk.
The Association of Chief Police Officers say the Insurer's stance could harm efforts to improve road safety.
A spokesperson for Insurance companies told us: "Although a speed awareness course is a replacement for penalty points, it does not change the fact that the person involved has committed a speeding offence."
"Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences.
"This means that people attending a speed awareness course are more likely to make a claim and we price these risks accordingly," the spokesperson said.
The increase in the Insurer's premiums comes despite assurances from some police forces and councils that attending a speed awareness course does not affect insurance policies. Investigator's have also spoken to drivers who were told by their course instructor that attendance would prevent their premiums increasing.
According to several drivers, the promise that insurance premiums will not increase is a key factor in their deciding whether to attend a speed awareness course - even though they are often more expensive than the standard speeding fine of £60.
However, the investigator's have learned of a number of cases where drivers have seen their annual premiums go up by hundreds of pounds as a result of going on a course.

So, there you have it.  :-\

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2013, 15:53:17 »

Its an offence, but its not a conviction or had points applied through  :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2013, 16:08:28 »

Its an offence, but its not a conviction or had points applied through  :-\

I believe that in the "letter of the law" it is "an admission of guilt" to the offence of speeding.

A conviction comes from going to court and having the matter "proved" against you. 

If you take the fine and points you are "admitting guilt", all this can be described as is a "different punishment" - the course instead of the fine/points... both require the "admission of guilt" otherwise you will be prosecuted in the courts to obtain the conviction.

My last renewal specifically asked 2 questions ..

1. Have you been convicted etc etc etc

2. Have you attended a speed or drink awareness course

:(

A bit like asking .. "Have you had an accident......."

All based on the mathematical odds of you having another one ......

:(
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 16:11:40 by Entwood »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2013, 17:02:41 »

<snip>
HTH ;)

Hmmm, it would appear that some are not abiding by this statement and are not playing ball:

Drivers who attend a speed awareness course instead of taking a fine and points on their licence may see their insurance premiums increase.
Some Insurer's are treating it as if it were a conviction, even though the police do not.
The insurance groups says its statistics show that drivers who have attended a course, pose a higher risk.
The Association of Chief Police Officers say the Insurer's stance could harm efforts to improve road safety.
A spokesperson for Insurance companies told us: "Although a speed awareness course is a replacement for penalty points, it does not change the fact that the person involved has committed a speeding offence."
"Our claims statistics show that drivers who have committed a speeding offence could be a higher risk than drivers who do not commit speeding offences.
"This means that people attending a speed awareness course are more likely to make a claim and we price these risks accordingly," the spokesperson said.
The increase in the Insurer's premiums comes despite assurances from some police forces and councils that attending a speed awareness course does not affect insurance policies. Investigator's have also spoken to drivers who were told by their course instructor that attendance would prevent their premiums increasing.
According to several drivers, the promise that insurance premiums will not increase is a key factor in their deciding whether to attend a speed awareness course - even though they are often more expensive than the standard speeding fine of £60.
However, the investigator's have learned of a number of cases where drivers have seen their annual premiums go up by hundreds of pounds as a result of going on a course.

So we ( the general public) are well and truly screwed either way then. >:(

scottambrose

« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2013, 17:08:38 »

admiral ask for it. and the price goes up if you say yes

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2013, 17:15:42 »

at least dick turpin had the decency to stick a gun in your face and wear a mask,unlike the scamartii!!!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 March 2013, 18:34:32 »

If you'd heeded my offer to buy the said motor vehicle from you and you'd bought that lovely motorbike this would never of happened  :y ;D

Seriously, sorry to hear this. My last one was for 87.77 mph in a 70 mph zone. The laugh of it was that the job I was doing then (About 16 years ago) saw me doing 50K - 55K a year and I never had any other convictions... I'd only popped out to visit a friend 10 miles away at the weekend.

STMO123

« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2013, 19:21:18 »

<snip>
HTH ;)

So we ( the general public) are well and truly screwed either way then. >:(
Only if we drive too fast.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 March 2013, 19:26:18 »

I'd just take the course personally, will be easier in the long run, if a bit more expensive.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

ted_one

« Reply #35 on: 13 March 2013, 19:37:48 »

You can't expect any mercy....you are a motorist and therefore you exist for one reason only and that is to be bent over :o :o :o

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 13 March 2013, 21:13:30 »

Take the course every time :y

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2013, 21:49:29 »

i have a "mate" who rides a fast bike is a very good rider and likes to go fast when he goes for a blast just takes his number plate off.reckons if he gets stopped its a 30 pound fine for no number plate and no points[dont try this at home]

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2013, 22:06:03 »

I seem to have got away with my recent transgression when I got flashed by a camera!!  :)

Do the course Opti, when I did one a couple of years ago there was a couple of young ladies who were much nicer to look at than the retired Plod/AA Man/Driving Instructor at the front!  ;)

I don't think that any of the insurance proposals that I have filled out since, have specifically asked whether I have been on a speed awareness course.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 March 2013, 23:40:48 »

I seem to have got away with my recent transgression when I got flashed by a camera!!  :)

Do the course Opti, when I did one a couple of years ago there was a couple of young ladies who were much nicer to look at than the retired Plod/AA Man/Driving Instructor at the front!  ;)

I don't think that any of the insurance proposals that I have filled out since, have specifically asked whether I have been on a speed awareness course.  :)
only a matter of time,insurance companies want in on the gravy train.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2013, 00:34:49 »

Bugger, take the lecture mate

I`m well over due for a ticket, the last one I got was a stinker.
Unknown to me there was some kind of security alert around Portsmouth
Plod was crewed up with armed military & heading out of the city I roared straight past a check point. As I passed them I caught sight of someone pointing something at me. 100 yards up the road a big copper & a parachute regiment nco flagged me down. I rolled to a stop on my fazer right up to a size 13 boot. It was all down hill from that point 43mph in a 30 zone. >:(
No course........ nothing here`s the ticket & now do one. 

Simon.rose1

• Walsall
    • Omega 2.5v6 cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 March 2013, 12:07:46 »

If its your only points most insurance companies don't increase your premium but then when I had 14 points I forgot to tell my insurance company as the car sits at work most weeks and most of my 100000 miles a year are done in a works vehicle and drove very carefully for the next 3 years lol

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 March 2013, 12:28:53 »

when i insured the discovery they do ask the question and send you an email to print out and sign :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.