Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 project  (Read 965 times)

RileyRomius

• United Kingdom
    • Omega 2.2 GLS 2001 petrol
    • View Profile
2.2 project
« on: 26 February 2015, 08:05:11 »

Hey everyone, I'm planning on doing a lot of work on my 2.2 petrol omega in the bottom half of this year and the first half of next year (planning on putting her on stands in September time) and I was just planning with parts and layouts etc... My first question is turbo related. I have sourced a universal turbo and intercooler kit to go into the car and I have also been speaking to the company behind the 'cherry bomb' custom exhaust and they said they would be happy to manufacture me a customised stainless steel turbo exhaust manifold with all the necessary pipes and the tail end itself to more or less bolt onto my head. All I will have to do is fabricate the mounts for the exhaust as well as the turbo. The turbo kit comes will all the necessary pipe work to fabricate the system myself. So two things, I understand that an updated clutch will be in order and I have sourced one however I was wondering as to how much the transmission itself would cope with and at what pressure I would be limited to with my current head bolts? And if possible what replacement head bolts could I use to keep everything a bit tighter? Thank you in advance

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 project
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2015, 08:27:17 »

First impressions are that is an awful lot of work, expense and time for minimal improvements in power. You main gain a few extra horses, but it will lack torque which is what you need in a heavy car like the Omega.

Why not spend that time and money on getting a V6 (either dropping in new engine/or getting whole new car) which will have more power without doing anything drastic?

RileyRomius

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2015, 10:07:36 »

Well that was going to be my next question haha! I was going to ask would it really be worth the effort? Is there anyway of increasing the torque to the required amount or would it just work out easy getting the V6 and turning that into a project as I realise the 2.2 is a bit optimistic.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2015, 10:12:40 »

Just get a 3.2, ~70 extra horses without faffing around.

Not much you can do with 3.2 either, no massive improvements without serious money.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2015, 10:46:29 »

There were plans for an Omega Turbo - presumably the 2.0 used in the VX220 / Astra Coupe Turbo etc.. so if you actually fancy telling your mates your car has a  turbo, perhaps that route would be best - on the other hand, if it's extra bhp you want, as mentioned, the 3.0/3.2 V6s - but don't then expect much gains from there on in, as they don't like being heavily modded.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

4x4

« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2015, 11:15:37 »

I personally wouldnt turbo the 2.2 ,i looked into it a few months ago,and the engine isnt the best 1 for it,get a 2.0 turbo lump instead,easier and cheaper.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2015, 11:23:17 »

Or chuck a Saab lump at it if you want some big horsepower numbers
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

4x4

« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2015, 13:01:30 »

Wasnt there a member with a supercharged 3.2 with nitrous on here? Claiming about 500bhp....

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2015, 14:00:05 »

Wasnt there a member with a supercharged 3.2 with nitrous on here? Claiming about 500bhp....

claiming,yes there was :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2015, 14:41:47 »

Muck about with the 2.2 lump and I guarantee you'll blow the head gasket! As said if you want an Omega with more grunt then the 3.0 or 3.2 is the way to go. :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

RileyRomius

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2015, 14:52:17 »

Awesome thank you for shedding some light on the subject. I am in no rush to get it finished so I have plenty of time and I suppose to an extent with time comes money as it won't be all done in one go. I think it would be easier to go down the engine swap route after reading all of the comments. A good point about the omegas is that they have loads of room under the bonnet so plenty of room to play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.