Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Popping and juddering help!!!!  (Read 2852 times)

mka306

Popping and juddering help!!!!
« on: 08 July 2015, 12:30:41 »

Took the car to the petrol station for a top up and on the return journey the EML started to flash and it felt like the car wasn't using all 6 cylinders, car is also juddery and when on idle the exhaust is popping instead of a smooth note. Any ideals folks????

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Popping and juddering help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2015, 12:46:32 »

Read the codes, I'm guessing p0300 and p030x where x = 1-6.

Coil pack, leads, plugs, oil in plug wells are the starting points.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

mka306

« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2015, 12:52:46 »

Is there a way to check the coil packs as I don't have a code reader? Is this a common fault?

Thank you for the advice though.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2015, 13:14:27 »

Is there a way to check the coil packs as I don't have a code reader? Is this a common fault?

Thank you for the advice though.

You don't need a code reader, do the pedal trick as described in the maintenance guides  :y

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2015, 13:14:59 »

You don't need a code reader to get the basics from a 3.2, you can use the pedal trick here:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90581.0.

Just lift the coil packs and any oil problem will be obvious. Driver's side is easy access, passenger side there is some furniture to move first.

Oil in plug wells will likely have toasted the coil pack on the affected side. See cleaning crankcase breathers here:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90653.0

But check you codes first.

Best of luck!
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2015, 13:15:49 »

Oops - sorry for cross post Tunnie
I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

mka306

« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2015, 13:32:17 »

Thanks for that info guys, great help :y

I had 2 codes, the first was 0300 and the second was 0305, any ideas guys?

Thanks very much for this help its priceless :y :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2015, 14:53:42 »

You have a misfire on cylinder 5 . Remove coil pack and check for oil/water.And while your there check all is well with the plug.  :y

mka306

« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2015, 15:17:18 »

You have a misfire on cylinder 5 . Remove coil pack and check for oil/water.And while your there check all is well with the plug.  :y

Ok that's great, I changed the 6 plugs a month ago for brand new GM ones, when I did that there was no oil or water around the old plugs and today is the first drive I've had in her but I will check again, I think I may well have to change the coil pack on the 1-3-5 side as no doubt that will be the issue. Thanks for the help everyone :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2015, 15:29:09 »

Have a feel of the sponge below the scuttle to see if it is wet/damp  :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2015, 16:10:33 »

Ok that's great, I changed the 6 plugs a month ago for brand new GM ones, when I did that there was no oil or water around the old plugs and today is the first drive I've had in her but I will check again, I think I may well have to change the coil pack on the 1-3-5 side as no doubt that will be the issue. Thanks for the help everyone :y

I've twice bought plugs from VX (a full set) that has caused problems. Both on different occasions. I wasn't happy with it from the moment I started back up, but I checked and double checked everything. I needed to use the car, so I drove it on 5 cylinders (no codes might I add). After about 100 miles, I had more time to take a better look, I removed the COPs and the top half of one of the plugs came out with it. There must have been a crack in it when I fitted it, but it took a while to develop into something visual.

mka306

« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2015, 16:39:02 »

I've twice bought plugs from VX (a full set) that has caused problems. Both on different occasions. I wasn't happy with it from the moment I started back up, but I checked and double checked everything. I needed to use the car, so I drove it on 5 cylinders (no codes might I add). After about 100 miles, I had more time to take a better look, I removed the COPs and the top half of one of the plugs came out with it. There must have been a crack in it when I fitted it, but it took a while to develop into something visual.

Ok I will look at the plug in cylinder 5 and see if it has any obvious problems and go from there, I've got both coil packs on there way from a friend who has a mate in an omega brakers yard in Nottingham, £40 for near enough new coil packs taken from an engine that was sold from his yard so happy to change both and see how she runs.

mka306

« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2015, 10:33:09 »

I've stripped the engine down and removed the coil packs, there is no oil or water around any of the six plugs so I removed plug 5 and it looked fine, just the usual blackening at the bottom of the 4 prongs but most of it was still clean, no cracks in the plug ect, I then removed plug 1 and it was similar to plug 5 but when I looked at the rubber sleeve on the coil pack that sits over the plug it had a split in the rubber from bottom to top, this would suggest to me that the problem is with the coil pack and most likely the split in the rubber.

I will update this thread when the new coil packs are on and the engine is running again.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2015, 10:58:07 »

As you have it apart, swap plug 5 with another plug. Drive it and double check that the code doesn't move to confirm coil.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2015, 15:12:21 »

Assuming that you haven't a) topped up with diesel or b) bought some shit fuel :-\ Supermarket perchance?

If the coil pack/plug checks prove inconclusive, drain the tank, refill with Shell V power and throw in two cans of Wynns injector cleaner. Then give the car a good thrashing... aim for sub 20mpg and repeat but drive normally for the second tank :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.