Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to keep NCB without car  (Read 1779 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
How to keep NCB without car
« on: 28 June 2021, 22:10:47 »

Hello gents and lady  :-*

I sold my car last June and cancelled the insurance mid policy  and have 14 years NCB.

Currently I am a named driver on my stepsons policy so don't need my own car but plan to buy one next year.

So does the two year rule begin from the date I last had insurance which would be June 2020 or the end of a 12 month policy which would be Sept 2019?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep NCB without car
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2021, 10:08:12 »

As I understand it it's from the date the insurance policy is cancelled.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2021, 11:13:56 »

Would they need to verify this? I can't remember who I was insured with and getting hold of this info would be a major ballache but not impossible

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2021, 12:28:40 »

Would they need to verify this? I can't remember who I was insured with and getting hold of this info would be a major ballache but not impossible

You could phone any motor insurer to find the answer to the 2 year NCB question. For example, phone Churchill and say that you are thinking of insuring with them but need to know if the 2 year NCB goes from the date you cancelled your previous motor policy.
NCB is awarded for FULL years without claims so we know that will only be up to the end of your 2019 policy.
The motor insurers wording is " If you cancel your policy, you have two years to reuse your NCB, otherwise it expires and you start from scratch", but it is a valid question that any insurer can answer.  :y  I would think it would be from the cancellation date as you were insured with no claims up to that date, but always best to get it clarified.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2021, 13:20:02 »

:y

Thanks. I'll do that

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2021, 14:09:05 »

You could phone any motor insurer to find the answer to the 2 year NCB question. For example, phone Churchill and say that you are thinking of insuring with them but need to know if the 2 year NCB goes from the date you cancelled your previous motor policy.
NCB is awarded for FULL years without claims so we know that will only be up to the end of your 2019 policy.
The motor insurers wording is " If you cancel your policy, you have two years to reuse your NCB, otherwise it expires and you start from scratch", but it is a valid question that any insurer can answer.  :y  I would think it would be from the cancellation date as you were insured with no claims up to that date, but always best to get it clarified.

I would add that if you have protected NCD (No Claims Discount if that what you mean) it can be full years even with claims.  I have got to 15 years NCD now with the AA, who i have had various insurance companies policies with, even though I had a "at fault" accident in 2017. ;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2021, 16:53:47 »

I would add that if you have protected NCD (No Claims Discount if that what you mean) it can be full years even with claims.  I have got to 15 years NCD now with the AA, who i have had various insurance companies policies with, even though I had a "at fault" accident in 2017. ;)

Fair point.  :y  No Claims Bonus/No Claims Discount, why do insurers not stick to one definition   ::)  as it results in a discount ......... which is a bonus.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 June 2021, 17:19:26 »

and I wondered what the National Coal Board had to do with Omegas  ::) ::) ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 June 2021, 19:32:38 »

and I wondered what the National Coal Board had to do with Omegas  ::) ::) ;)

;D ;D  ;D that was my first thought ::) ;D ;D ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 June 2021, 20:18:24 »

I've lost my NCB a couple of times through stints living abroad, but have found that if you phone up and explain the circumstances you'll get the discount.  :y

Direct Line were the best for this at the time IIRC.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2021, 16:36:33 »

Alternatively, you could take out a policy on your step-son's car in your own name, then cancel after a month. You'd get a letter issued from the insurer saying you had 14yrs at the start of cover and 14yrs at the end. With a fresh 2021 date on it.

Probably cost you £20-30 for the month's insurance but it'd be cheaper in the long run than losing the NCD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.