Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: gear selection  (Read 1792 times)

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
gear selection
« on: 05 March 2011, 18:23:37 »

Hi guys after some advice, The auto box on my 2.2 estate is being a bit of a pig as of late, It changes up to 3rd then some times sticks there and revs like mad till i let right off when it finds the gear and carries on but it does seem to make the car feel like its holding back like a very slight lose of power.The odd thing is this doesnt always happen, I have been told this could be the gear box needs a service which sounds costly i have also been told it needs an oil change and new filter, and i have read on here that the cam sensor can be a bit of a pig to and tell the ecu what it wants too, i was wondering if there a way to just check the oil lvl without having to get under the car, i dont mind getting dirty but i dont fit under a jacked up car that well lol. I dont think the car has ever had a proper service from new, So after that i was wondering if this is common and whats the fix, thanks all  :y 
Washing a car, is like making love to a beautiful woman.  caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: gear selection
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2011, 18:48:14 »

Hi guys after some advice, The auto box on my 2.2 estate is being a bit of a pig as of late, It changes up to 3rd then some times sticks there and revs like mad till i let right off when it finds the gear and carries on but it does seem to make the car feel like its holding back like a very slight lose of power.The odd thing is this doesnt always happen, I have been told this could be the gear box needs a service which sounds costly i have also been told it needs an oil change and new filter, and i have read on here that the cam sensor can be a bit of a pig to and tell the ecu what it wants too, i was wondering if there a way to just check the oil lvl without having to get under the car, i dont mind getting dirty but i dont fit under a jacked up car that well lol. I dont think the car has ever had a proper service from new, So after that i was wondering if this is common and whats the fix, thanks all  :y 
Only on a 4-post lift. Really need to get the level checked as a first port of call. Are the gear indicator lights behaving normally? Any warning light on dash (spanner light).?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2011, 19:05:07 »

theres no spanner light on and the indicator lights are fine too. the EML has been on for months but thats another prob im not overly worried about at the mo as it passed the mot with it on, but i do alot of miles in her and she suffers from an oil leak but i have never let it run under half full oil wise, as i say my worry is a late night rac call as the gear box packs up.
Washing a car, is like making love to a beautiful woman.  caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

ndmv6

• huddersfield
    • 2001 2.2 auto cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2011, 03:58:50 »

sounds like we have a similar problem,ive got the 2.2 omega auto,doing much the same as yours,if you reset the eml,it will drive lovely for a few miles,then start to be hesitant to change gear,then the light will pop back on again..doh..i doubt your gearbox is the problem,its the fact there is a fault somewhere,as the engine and gearbox communicate to each other through readings given to the ecu..1 faulty item just seems to freak it out.. :'(

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2011, 10:02:30 »

my personal view - posted several times - is to change the crank sensor and at least rule that out as that is the communication link between engne and gearbox. Buy a genuine GM part - probably £45 or so on Trade Club.

if it is still a problem then you are into a check on  gearbox fluid and filter change and maybe a solenoid fault.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2011, 10:02:58 by pscocoa »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2011, 11:43:27 »

yes i think a new crank sensor and gear box oil and filter change are on the cards as i dont want to lose the car, lol i love it on those long drives :y

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2011, 18:12:28 »

well ordered the new crank sensor today proper vauxhall part £91  :'( hope it works lol :y

JOHNBOY3385

• YORK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2011, 19:40:22 »

if this is of any use had something similar with my car. the lights on the gear selector would flicker a little and sometimes say it was in a gear it wasnt.also gears randomly changing by themself. 4th to 2nd and so on sometimes it was worse than others. the problem with mine was the gear program selector switch located on the front nearside of the auto box. it costs £450 plus fitting from vauxhall and only available from them.{or so they say] i got one from a scrapyard it cost £4 and took half hour to fit. its easy to do and there is a link on here somwhere of how to do it as thats what i used. apparently you can take them appart and clean them as they suffer from water ingestion they get a bit messed up inside. hope this may help you. j

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2011, 20:18:17 »

thanks that could be the next thing to look at but im going 1 at a time to see if the prob is found the crank sensor i have seen on here is the cause of many sorrows lol so thats first as it might cure another prob the car has had for months, :y

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2011, 17:18:47 »

ok i got the crank sensor today but before i fit it i just wanted to check that it is the CRANK sensor and not the CAM sensor i need to change? crank was said but i have heard some say crank some say cam and its got my head spinning now  :-/ if it is crank is there a how to on here for a 2.2 i found 1 but its for a V6, thanks guys, :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2011, 18:32:26 »

Lives under/behind A/C compressor. Remove manifold heatshield.....pull out dipstick& tube.......feel forward from tube hole about 50mm and you`ll find the torx bolt (same size as heatshield ones). Bit of perseverance to undo bolt then pull sensor out..............or, release aux belt, undo compressor bolts and swing away as far as.

Be surprised if the crank sensor rectifies the fault
« Last Edit: 14 March 2011, 18:33:23 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2011, 18:52:20 »

if not the crank would it be the cam ?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2011, 18:54:36 »

How many miles has it done? The OOF advice is to change the ATF and filter(or clean latter) at 60,000 miles. HTH :y

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2011, 19:35:35 »

102000 miles

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2011, 20:57:52 »

102000 miles

See my last ^ :y

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2011, 10:43:09 »

Well crank sensor changed and going to get a quote on the gearbox oil and filter change and engine oil and filter change as that hasn't been done since god knows when, The fella at the garage has said i should have the diff oil changed to, anyone think this is a good idea? lol oh and while changing the crank sensor i noticed a nice hole on the breather pipe which i have had to tape up till i can get a new pipe.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.