Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear bearing needs replacing. Anyone heard of Continental direct.  (Read 2824 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Rear bearing needs replacing. Anyone heard of Continental direct.
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2017, 08:45:24 »

Fag, come with a new tab, but no nut.
.     that makes sense seeing as the locking tab and bearing are realy the only wear items.and a new circlip for good measure. hopefully someone on here will have a rear hub and / or nut if youre struggling.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile

This has turned into a bit of a saga:
German company said delivery expected September!
Bought a swinging arm and hub assembly for £40 from an online breakers.
What a PITA! Flange was on incredibly tight. Bent the homemade strap and 16mm bolt tool I have used on 2 previous occasions. Straightened it out in the vice. Reapplied and then re tensioned, but not so tight it would bend again. Rotated flange and hit with the big hammer all the way around. A bit of movement each time enabled the flange to come off. Removing the hub after that wasn't too bad: I found I could use some 8mm bolts through the handbrake adjusting hole and wheelnut threads into the spline nuts of the dust cover. I tensioned  with a nut the other side. Put the big nut back on the hub and with a piece of wood to protect the threads give it a whack. Re tensioned the 8mm bolts and it came off fairly easily for me.
So now breaker hub is on the car. A bit worried about how difficult it will be to get the flange back on it's spline but that's for tomorrow. :(

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile

WHY does it seem that there must be a "secret recipe" for doing the rear bearings?..... Unless I was been taken for a ride by my MOT garage, who have all the gear, pits, 3 ramps etc, and I was going to them for an oil change and timing belt fitting, they will probably turn that into a weeks work, and charge  me a months wages for the privilege  :(  cheaper to get a new car lol, and scap the Omega

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

WHY does it seem that there must be a "secret recipe" for doing the rear bearings?.....

there isn't a secret recipe, it's just that many technicians make a meal of it. Some thought and simple tooling is all that's necessary to do the job efficiently.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile

Your right Nick. I prefer to do the work on my car if I can. I enjoy thinking my way around problems,..., and then asking the forum to solve them for me!!. Certainly, you need an array of tools to do this job but they are pretty cheap in comparison to getting a garage to do the work.
Also, unless you buy a brand new car then you are likely to be buying someone elses problems. Better to spend a bit on a car that you know and like :y.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.