Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: accident @ work  (Read 3037 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
accident @ work
« on: 20 April 2013, 23:28:13 »

accident @ work....... well outside the front of house to be honest.
A gang of blokes are ripping out the old orange street lamps & replacing with new.   
Got back from running some errands & swmbo has a nice young man sitting in the kitchen with his boots off & one foot up on a stool. A lump of concrete fell out the bucket of a digger onto his foot. This guy is in real agony with the top of his foot going purple & his doppy boss is saying "don`t call 999" . No. we`ll get him sorted. swmbo did some nursing years ago & feels sure his foot is broken. The poor bloke is almost crying in pain. So I tell the gaffer again to dial 999........" nope we`ll sort him" & they cart him off. Why not call for an ambulance? I don`t get it.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Re: accident @ work
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2013, 00:46:58 »

They don't wan't the accident to happen at work and thus spoil they're record as they will then have a multitude of paperwork to fill in and reports to make not to mention possibly have whatever they are working on shut down until it is investigated etc. They will prob take the poor fella to casualty and he will report that it happened while he was working on something at home. SOunds like quite a dodgy firm if you ask me!!
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2013, 00:53:44 »

They don't wan't the accident to happen at work and thus spoil they're record as they will then have a multitude of paperwork to fill in and reports to make not to mention possibly have whatever they are working on shut down until it is investigated etc. They will prob take the poor fella to casualty and he will report that it happened while he was working on something at home. SOunds like quite a dodgy firm if you ask me!!

+1 ;)

cleggy

« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2013, 01:46:33 »

+1 ;)

+2  ;) plus they don't want a claim against them, no insurance ???

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2013, 11:06:06 »

Injured bloke should insist that its reported , at least he has you 2 as witnesses now  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2013, 11:20:38 »

Maybe it was just a case of the boss didn't feel that it was enough of an emergency to warrant calling 999?  :-\  After all if they could get him into your kitchen then they could get him into a car and take him to A&E themselves.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2013, 13:00:04 »

Maybe it was just a case of the boss didn't feel that it was enough of an emergency to warrant calling 999?  :-\  After all if they could get him into your kitchen then they could get him into a car and take him to A&E themselves.  ;)

But it is the firms legal responsibility to report the accident to the Health & Safety at Work Executive, so I agree the gang's foreman is trying hard to protect his back.  I would be tempted to pick up the phone and report the accident myself and let the council know of the incident as they are also responsible for their contractors carrying out such work.  That will stir it! :D :D :D ;) 

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2013, 17:05:51 »

Well said Lizzie, the least that the guy has to do is get it in the firms accident book.
Just to cover his a--s. well, his foot ,anyway ::)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2013, 19:44:16 »

If it is a broken bone it Is a reportable incident..I think??
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2013, 20:20:37 »

Maybe the boss did report the accident, we don't know whether he did or not.  ::)  A lot of assuming going on here.....

Personally I wouldn't think a hurt foot is an emergency 999 situation, when there are people who could take the bloke to A&E in a car.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2013, 10:37:03 »

Maybe the boss did report the accident, we don't know whether he did or not.  ::) A lot of assuming going on here.....

Personally I wouldn't think a hurt foot is an emergency 999 situation, when there are people who could take the bloke to A&E in a car.  :-\

Don't think it is assumption Tigger. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to recognise that the foreman didn't want it treated as a 999 incident as straight away it becomes an official accident with all the ramifications of the HSE becoming involved.  Anyone who has been a manager in business like me knows exactly what that means, with a very real danger of personal prosecution, fines and in the extreme case, a prison sentence.  At the very least it involves loads of paperwork and civil legal action from the injured party and insurance company 'hassle'.  That is what this guy was trying to avoid! ::) ::) ;)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2013, 10:41:52 »

Lad on a building site fell off an old rotten ladder, before the ambulance arrived it was chopped up burned and a new one in place,

if HSE turn up basically they may as well all go home, as no work is being done for a day or so.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2013, 10:42:29 »

Surely it's an assumption until you know the cold hard facts from the people involved, not word of mouth ::)
Retired

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2013, 10:47:55 »

If it had happened in Liverpool, I would be able to tell you the reason: The whole gang would have been on the dole and had to say it happened while they were 'looking for work'. ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2013, 10:51:36 »

Surely it's an assumption until you know the cold hard facts from the people involved, not word of mouth ::)

The OP was fully involved with the injured party in their house and the foreman stating "no 999" in front of them.  I have no reason to doubt the OP's account of what happened as he was involved.  ::) ::) ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.