Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: just looked at a omega 2.6 v6 cdx  (Read 2912 times)

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
just looked at a omega 2.6 v6 cdx
« on: 11 January 2010, 21:25:18 »

just been to look at a 51 plate omega very clean car as documented 50000 miles 1 owner from new the on inspection around the out side of the car and inside the car it is in very very good condishion lots of service history, start on my poking around the engine bay take a look under the oil filer cap nothing bad there just a little gunk like on most so i check the dip stick that is fine but on looking into the expanshion tank it is oily in there so i stick my finger in and it cmes out with oily watery mix on it so i go off and chat to the car sales owner who says to me that the car has been in the garage and had something done to do with the oil and rings the mechanic that did the work and lets him te me what hes done , the mechanic tells m that the car has had a new oil cooler and the oil is just whats left in the coolent system . now i am worried that it may be head gasget(s) the owner of the sales place says to me that he puts warrentys on his cars anyway and athough he is 100% the car is fine he said he would extened his normal warrenty so i have peice of mind if it does go wrong he has also said he will cover any cost to have the car recovered to his mechanic free of charge if needed and he wil carry out all repairs at his cost .
my question is woud you take a chance and buy the car ??

sorry for such a long winded post  ::)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: just looked at a omega 2.6 v6 cdx
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2010, 21:29:28 »

Oil cooler failure is substantially more common than head gasket failure on the V6.  Possible that the garage owner is being quite straight up with you as it takes a while to clear the resultant mayo/gunk out the cooling system.

sexydaz

« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2010, 21:29:34 »

just been to look at a 51 plate omega very clean car as documented 50000 miles 1 owner from new the on inspection around the out side of the car and inside the car it is in very very good condishion lots of service history, start on my poking around the engine bay take a look under the oil filer cap nothing bad there just a little gunk like on most so i check the dip stick that is fine but on looking into the expanshion tank it is oily in there so i stick my finger in and it cmes out with oily watery mix on it so i go off and chat to the car sales owner who says to me that the car has been in the garage and had something done to do with the oil and rings the mechanic that did the work and lets him te me what hes done , the mechanic tells m that the car has had a new oil cooler and the oil is just whats left in the coolent system . now i am worried that it may be head gasget(s) the owner of the sales place says to me that he puts warrentys on his cars anyway and athough he is 100% the car is fine he said he would extened his normal warrenty so i have peice of mind if it does go wrong he has also said he will cover any cost to have the car recovered to his mechanic free of charge if needed and he wil carry out all repairs at his cost .

cant they get their stories straight

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2010, 21:29:50 »

oil cooler is a fairly common failure, but its rarer on the later engines. It points to poor maintenance history as some V6's are 12 years old 160k and still on original oil cooler.

50k (if thats its true millage) points to some abuse IMO, its very unlikey to be HG on the 2.6.

I would check very carefully its millage, look at the steering wheel, pedals, gear stick, if its auto check things like S button

Welung666

« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2010, 21:30:45 »

Oil in the coolant left over from the oil cooler failing is common. If you're really interested in the car then insist on a signed receipt stating they will cover it under warranty and also insist they flush it another dozen times and refill with fresh anti-freeze mix.

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2010, 21:40:21 »

cant they get their stories straight

think thats just the way ive explained it rarther than that

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2010, 21:41:58 »

Oil in the coolant left over from the oil cooler failing is common. If you're really interested in the car then insist on a signed receipt stating they will cover it under warranty and also insist they flush it another dozen times and refill with fresh anti-freeze mix.

he has offered to put it all down in writing  and to flush the system

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2010, 21:43:57 »

oil cooler is a fairly common failure, but its rarer on the later engines. It points to poor maintenance history as some V6's are 12 years old 160k and still on original oil cooler.

50k (if thats its true millage) points to some abuse IMO, its very unlikey to be HG on the 2.6.

I would check very carefully its millage, look at the steering wheel, pedals, gear stick, if its auto check things like S button

there is no indercation of abuse it looks a new car inside ooks like it has been we kept the car has all past mots to check the mileage and it all checks out

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2010, 21:46:50 »

he has offered to put it all down in writing  and to flush the system

Sounds like he trusts his fitters !!  With that sort of promise.. if the price is right it sounds like it could be a good buy ..

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2010, 21:49:50 »

the price is fair, i think it is a nice car very clean

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2010, 21:56:47 »

there is no indercation of abuse it looks a new car inside ooks like it has been we kept the car has all past mots to check the mileage and it all checks out

Failed oil cooler at just 50k combined with this other 'ring work' suggests a very different story!

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2010, 22:04:32 »

Failed oil cooler at just 50k combined with this other 'ring work' suggests a very different story!

sorry thats my bad punctuation it should read .....
"the deaer says it had something done to do with the oil and then rings the mechanic......."

sorry .

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2010, 22:14:21 »

"the deaer says it had something done to do with the oil and then rings the mechanic......."

sorry .

Omega's wear incredibly well, some examples with 150k on, could be wound back to 50k and look genuine. So just be careful  :y

smartrs

• out in the sticks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2010, 22:25:46 »

sorry .

Omega's wear incredibly well, some examples with 150k on, could be wound back to 50k and look genuine. So just be careful  :y

if i do go for it and take the warrenty he is offering i will drop it stright round to my machanic who is gonna do the test to see if a head gasget has gone then take it from there . unless they have faked all past mots and other service suff i cant see that mileage being wrong , i know it can be done .

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2010, 23:13:25 »

Oil cooler failure is age not mileage related though. Probably just had a weak coolant mixture. if it's been changed and proper coolant mix added, I wouldn't be too worried.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.