Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chevrolet Omega 2.0  (Read 6411 times)

Mateus520

• Maringá-PR, Brazil
    • Chevrolet Omega GLS 1994
    • View Profile
Chevrolet Omega 2.0
« on: 13 March 2021, 18:45:32 »

Hello. Some days ago I signed up here and made a post on the Newbie Area. Now I'm presenting you all my Omega.
Just a reminder that a lot of Opels/Vauxhall were rebadged to Chevrolet here in south america (i belive because it was already a known and trusted brand and both were part of General Motors).  ???
About the car, I bought it about 1 month ago. It is a 1994 Omega GLS, the engine is the C20NE. With the stock engine it's not a fast car, but it runs pretty good. The car is not bad at all, just needs some love. :y

I already bought some parts for the car but not have installed yet. In special new headlights, new blinkers and new taillights. I bought a lot of engine parts as well to assure it's reliable, but I still have not intalled anything because I'm having some issues about the car documents. The issue is more about the pandemia than the document itself. Because of it a lot of departments are closed and that's why it's taking so long. Would be easy to solve it in normal times. :P

My goals with this car is to mount forged internals and turbocharge it, maybe swap to a 16v. These engines have a lot of potential to get good results with a turbo on it.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2021, 18:58:14 by Mateus520 »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet Omega 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2021, 19:29:23 »

Looks to be in good condition bodily.I'm sure it will clean up really well. :y Be interesting to see your progress with it.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2021, 07:58:03 »

OMG had completely forgoten about those push button tape holders, always had those in our Cavaliers growing up!

Mateus520

• Maringá-PR, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2021, 14:44:02 »

Looks to be in good condition bodily.I'm sure it will clean up really well. :y Be interesting to see your progress with it.

It's really good bodily and that was one of the biggest reason for me to get this car. It have never been crashed and the paint is still the original. I'm actually the third owner of this car, but the previous owner kept the car still for a long time in a open garage without the proper care and that's why the paint is burned on some spots.

OMG had completely forgoten about those push button tape holders, always had those in our Cavaliers growing up!

It's working fine! All buttons are working. I will probably maintain it only for visual purposes because I plan on using a Pioneer with bluetooth device.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2021, 15:29:57 »

Looks like Spectral Blue Paint colour code: L270 / 24L  8)  8)
I had one (Vauxhall Carlton) that colour but with the NON cat 20SE engine .
I see you have the higher spec  "pencil beam" headlamps to fit  :)
very common for the glue to fail on the "blinker" lenses and loose them.
even new old stock lenses require extra fresh glue to retain the lens  ;)

Very nice car you have  :y

Mateus520

• Maringá-PR, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2021, 20:56:49 »

Looks like Spectral Blue Paint colour code: L270 / 24L  8)  8)
I had one (Vauxhall Carlton) that colour but with the NON cat 20SE engine .
I see you have the higher spec  "pencil beam" headlamps to fit  :)
very common for the glue to fail on the "blinker" lenses and loose them.
even new old stock lenses require extra fresh glue to retain the lens  ;)

Very nice car you have  :y

Thank you!
This car already has the higher specs headlights. I'm just going to change it because it's a little burned inside and it got some infiltration when it's rainy.
And thanks again for the tip for the "blinker" lenses. Mine are a pair of new old stock carellos that i have bought for the car. I'm going to do what you said to assure it will not fall. The "blinkers" that came in the car are from a parallel brand with poor quality as well the taillights are.

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2021, 01:46:23 »

Welcome Mateus! Congratulations on your purchase of ABSOLUTO and good luck with the restoration. My 3000 has been with me for 17 years. In Brazil I am the oldest member of the Clube do Omega MG, participating since the first meeting of the club on April 7, 2007. I read that you are interested in installing a turbo kit in the future. After buying the parts for about 2 years, I looked for a reliable preparer and for 2 and a half years, my engine runs with 1 bar of turbo pressure. For your car, the purchase of parts will be easier and cheaper, because you can easily find ready-made kits for the C20 engine. In my project, there are no ready-to-sale kits in Brazil for the C30NE engine, which made the process more expensive, but the result made up for it in the end.  :y

Powered by C30NE

Mateus520

• Maringá-PR, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2021, 20:24:10 »

Welcome Mateus! Congratulations on your purchase of ABSOLUTO and good luck with the restoration. My 3000 has been with me for 17 years. In Brazil I am the oldest member of the Clube do Omega MG, participating since the first meeting of the club on April 7, 2007. I read that you are interested in installing a turbo kit in the future. After buying the parts for about 2 years, I looked for a reliable preparer and for 2 and a half years, my engine runs with 1 bar of turbo pressure. For your car, the purchase of parts will be easier and cheaper, because you can easily find ready-made kits for the C20 engine. In my project, there are no ready-to-sale kits in Brazil for the C30NE engine, which made the process more expensive, but the result made up for it in the end.  :y

Thank you luizvivas! I read about your car, your projet is amazing!! I considered getting a 3.0 as well, but with my current financial condition I would not be able to do what I want, and I actually like a lot the C20NE.
I am also doing most of the job myself. I like to work on cars and since this is a lot more simple project, I guess that I can do it myself. I am from Maringá-PR, and got into the Omega Clube from here about 3 months ago. Unfortunately due the pandemic I did not have gone in any meetings yet. Hope we can do soon. I have family in the south of MG, in Lavras-MG and Perdőes-MG, that are not so far away from Belo Horizonte.

Mateus520

• Maringá-PR, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2021, 20:56:31 »

So here are some updates on the project:

I swapped the wheels for 17 ones:

The documents finally got ready on August, the same month that my radiador blew up. So I parked the car in my garage and started to disassemble the engine.

So here is what I have planned for now:
I took the head off to replace the original head gasket made of fiber to a made of metal, so it will handle better boost. I will also replace the original head screws for a set of forged studs.
Since I already took the head off, it is a lot easier to take the hole engine out without the head, so I will do it to disassemble the oil sump to see the general condition of the bearings and may replace them. I am looking for a set of ARP 209-6003 (it is beeing a little hard, I will probably have to import) to replace the original rod bolts and i will replace the crankshaft cap bolts for stock new ones as well.

The engine itself didn't have any problem and wasn't smoking or consuming too much oil, so no need to rebuild it. It looks like that it have already been rebuilt and instaled new liners. I don't know if installing new liners is something good or bad because I guess it's not suposed to have, but looks good at least. The pistons are stock size ones.

After getting it running again I will focus on make it looks a little bit better, and then install a Megasquirt MS2 and turbocharge it.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2021, 14:08:50 »

nice car and one of the better colours. and thefacelift too !
although only a 2 litre they were powerfull enough to get you where you wanted to go and quite refined in doing so.
in the uk with our weather and winter salt they rusted in all the usual places ,wheelarches,sills etc but also a big problem area on those cars more than the 78-86 model before it is that they tended to rust out very badly on the front chassis leg tops and for some reason ONE area on the chassis near the rear spring ( not both sides !)

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2021, 18:04:12 »

So here are some updates on the project:

I swapped the wheels for 17 ones:

The documents finally got ready on August, the same month that my radiador blew up. So I parked the car in my garage and started to disassemble the engine.

So here is what I have planned for now:
I took the head off to replace the original head gasket made of fiber to a made of metal, so it will handle better boost. I will also replace the original head screws for a set of forged studs.
Since I already took the head off, it is a lot easier to take the hole engine out without the head, so I will do it to disassemble the oil sump to see the general condition of the bearings and may replace them. I am looking for a set of ARP 209-6003 (it is beeing a little hard, I will probably have to import) to replace the original rod bolts and i will replace the crankshaft cap bolts for stock new ones as well.

The engine itself didn't have any problem and wasn't smoking or consuming too much oil, so no need to rebuild it. It looks like that it have already been rebuilt and instaled new liners. I don't know if installing new liners is something good or bad because I guess it's not suposed to have, but looks good at least. The pistons are stock size ones.

After getting it running again I will focus on make it looks a little bit better, and then install a Megasquirt MS2 and turbocharge it.

Mateus, my C30NE was reconditioned in 2009 and has covered 40,000 km. When we prepared the engine, I didn't worry about the wear of the parts, because I change the oil every 6 months, regardless of the mileage. However, I will soon be forced to replace the original head gasket with a steel one. There is a small water leak from the head gasket, which is wetting spark plug number 4. Recently it burned and we noticed it was damp and rusty. The engine is running normally, but I won't wait for the leak to increase. At the end of the year I have it fixed. I know Lavras and Perdőes, very good lands! We resume the Omega Club meetings here. I hope that one day you can participate with your 2.0T. Greetings.