Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's Observer  (Read 750 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Today's Observer
« on: 04 May 2008, 07:40:21 »

Not that I read this drivel but on the Sky News comment they just showed their headline:

"Brown to cut taxes to ease voter unrest"

This includes the 10p tax and the road tax hikes!  Would be great if it were true!

HolyCount

Re: Today's Observer
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2008, 08:34:45 »

If that was correct -- it's not so much tax cuts as u-turns

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2008, 08:40:12 »

They will still need to tax else where as we are in dire straits with Uk plc finance.

Unless they are doing the usual labour thing......realised they are not getting another term and are going to just borrow even MORE money so the next lot get slated.

Everybody goes on about Maggie but, she pulled this country out of a very nasty financial state left by Labours last major spell in office.

Sadly, if the next party in power are going to resolve anything then they will not be popular either as I am sure public spending will be cut and taxes will rise.

One question for the masses, when income tax was 25% base rate, did anybody really bother (once you had been paying it for a few years and got used to it)?

HolyCount

« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2008, 08:44:12 »

I would personally like to see an increase in the base rate of IT, with the extra thereby raised offsetting some of the stealth tax imposed upon us.

I know we have to pay it, at the end of the day, one way or another, but it's less painful at source.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2008, 08:47:12 »

I would personally like to see an increase in the base rate of IT, with the extra thereby raised offsetting some of the stealth tax imposed upon us.

I know we have to pay it, at the end of the day, one way or another, but it's less painful at source.

And cheaper to extract as the majority of the cost is born by the employer.

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2008, 10:02:25 »

i would like to see huge cuts in government spending.it has spiralled completely out of control in the last decade,this could enable lower taxation.if taxation levels were taken back to what they were 10 years ago we would all feel like millionares,but i suppose paying gordons credit card bill will have to come first.

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2008, 11:52:47 »

I don't mind the government collecting taxes, and I don't mind them spending the money.  But I get very cross when I see the amount of money being wasted on things that don't improve anybody's life, and just make everything more complicated.  

I went up to London yesterday to see my 90 year old aunt.  She recently had her purse stolen (or lost it - she doesn't know).  She has to apply for a replacement "taxi card" so that she can get some sort of discount on when she has to travel to other parts of London.  I had to fill in a 12-page form for her, because she's almost blind.  12 pages!  Just to get a replacement plastic card!

Teachers, policemen and doctors spend most of their time filling in paperwork to the accompaniment of government "experts" telling them how to do their jobs.  There are pointless regulations for everything.

Whatever happen to the paperless society we were going to get with the advent of computers?  And all that leisure?

And before you ask, I design computer systems for a living and I'm currently working on a government project.  So I know the answer to my own question, but I just can't tell you >:( >:( >:(
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

HolyCount

« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2008, 18:21:14 »

Albitz - if they did one thing to cut Gov spending, it should be to slash MPs ¨allowancës¨ to zero. Why should we pay for their second homes? Why should they have second homes?

If they need to stay in London for a couple of nights a week there should be a Parliament run hostel / hotel. We would only have to pay to furnish it once and the relevant security could be more effectively put in place,

Jereboam - every public office that has strived toward a paperless environment has practically doubled it's paper usage. The bean counters need a paper trail and don't trust computers --- and we all know that the auditors rule!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.