Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Bought an Elite  (Read 11753 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Just Bought an Elite
« Reply #15 on: 23 November 2021, 17:10:53 »

9 out of 10 Omegas ever made were silver.

Allegedly  :D

I have four Elite saloons, three are Star Silver, and one is Petrol Blue.
I know everyone jokes about 'rare' Star Silver, but is there a reason why there were so many made in Silver compared to other colours? My Petrol Blue 3.2 seems a 'rare' colour for an Elite - it appeared to be more popular in CD trim, although still not common.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2021, 13:48:31 »

Bonus being silver as it hides the dirt better lol, don't know why that is you'd think silver would really show dirt!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 November 2021, 15:01:53 »

"ULTRA RARE" Star Silver III  might hide the dirt well ,BUT........
 it's a completely different colour silver when it's washed though  :D
Mine needs a bath  :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2021, 15:25:46 »

"ULTRA RARE" Star Silver III  might hide the dirt well ,BUT........
 it's a completely different colour from Star Silver II when it's washed though  :D
Mine needs a bath  :-X
It’s the rear quarters and roof that always give the game away :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2021, 16:16:05 »

9 out of 10 Omegas ever made were silver.

Allegedly  :D

I have four Elite saloons, three are Star Silver, and one is Petrol Blue.
I know everyone jokes about 'rare' Star Silver, but is there a reason why there were so many made in Silver compared to other colours? My Petrol Blue 3.2 seems a 'rare' colour for an Elite - it appeared to be more popular in CD trim, although still not common.

I have owned 3 Omega.

Two were ultra rare Star silver with the other being a fetching shade of Constabulary white. :)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 December 2021, 08:27:35 »

Just noticed the battery tray bolt has been sheared off and the battery is loose, need a new clamp and remove the busted bolt. Soaking it in WD for a bit before attempting removal.

Other things needed so far:

replacement scuttle cover as it has a nice crack in it. Due to get a replacement this weekend.
Weatherstrip for scuttle cover (Suspecting this was not reinstalled after windscreen replacement (Worrying)) Although screen replacement looks done well.
Investigate clunking from front (Most likely the link pin)
Investigate droning sound, which actually sort of goes away with increased speed, not sure if bearing, hope it's not the diff as it's got a towbar.
Clean headlight reflectors

Gave it a basic wash so it looks more silver now! I haven't had the time (or the weather) to get it up on the ramp and give it a good once over yet.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 December 2021, 08:45:41 »

Nice example, on the cusp of the changeover so has the flat faced fat five spokes which suit the Elite well I think.  Hopefully you'll get back any investment in the long term.  Such a comfortable barge for wafting about, I get plenty of admiring comments for mine even when it hasn't been cleaned for a while. :y
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 December 2021, 10:19:13 »

Nice example, on the cusp of the changeover so has the flat faced fat five spokes which suit the Elite well I think.  Hopefully you'll get back any investment in the long term.  Such a comfortable barge for wafting about, I get plenty of admiring comments for mine even when it hasn't been cleaned for a while. :y

Those alloys do really suit the barge, makes a difference to the handling as well, feels a lot more taught on the road, though I don't know if the suspension is stiffer maybe, didn't think it would be on an executive type model? Any pics of your own one be nice to see.

Managed to get the scuttle cover from a guy in the borders, he's got the full car & other stuff as well should I need it, and plenty of cavy spares, as well as a full cavy lying there, so will be visiting him again for a haul in the New Year.

Noticed a couple of other things including the rear indicators look very white, so I'm guessing will need new "orange" bulbs soon.

O/S Track control arm has a bit of play as well as the link pin rubber boot hanging off, suspected this was gone as I could hear it clunking when going over rough surfaces. The N/S front bearing is also making a speed-related clicking noise when I spin it, which I'm suspecting is the bearing because it's noisy when I drive it. The noise is more apparent when you're going slower and coming to stop you can hear the drone of the bearing turn into the clicking sound just before you stop.

Need to remove the caliper and stuff to make sure its not any noise coming from that, as there is otherwise no play in the bearing.

I also managed to reverse the towbar into the front of my 2.6 CD and make a nice ball shaped dent in the front bumper - plank of the week award!
« Last Edit: 19 December 2021, 10:28:32 by grifter »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2021, 13:10:28 »

Those alloys do really suit the barge, makes a difference to the handling as well, feels a lot more taught on the road, though I don't know if the suspension is stiffer maybe, didn't think it would be on an executive type model? Any pics of your own one be nice to see.

Managed to get the scuttle cover from a guy in the borders, he's got the full car & other stuff as well should I need it, and plenty of cavy spares, as well as a full cavy lying there, so will be visiting him again for a haul in the New Year.

Noticed a couple of other things including the rear indicators look very white, so I'm guessing will need new "orange" bulbs soon.

O/S Track control arm has a bit of play as well as the link pin rubber boot hanging off, suspected this was gone as I could hear it clunking when going over rough surfaces. The N/S front bearing is also making a speed-related clicking noise when I spin it, which I'm suspecting is the bearing because it's noisy when I drive it. The noise is more apparent when you're going slower and coming to stop you can hear the drone of the bearing turn into the clicking sound just before you stop.

Need to remove the caliper and stuff to make sure its not any noise coming from that, as there is otherwise no play in the bearing.

I also managed to reverse the towbar into the front of my 2.6 CD and make a nice ball shaped dent in the front bumper - plank of the week award!

If anyone asks simply shrug your shoulders and blame your wife.

A comment such as " we all love women but God made a mistake when he allowed them to drive" should be enough to deflect blame. ;D

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 December 2021, 08:14:48 »

If anyone asks simply shrug your shoulders and blame your wife.

A comment such as " we all love women but God made a mistake when he allowed them to drive" should be enough to deflect blame. ;D

:y Always good to have the excuses ready!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 April 2022, 15:26:02 »

That's the NSF wheen bearing done, very easy job, except of course tightening to 320NM? My torque bar only goes to 200, so I waited until my elbow clicked and took that as the correct torque!

While that was off I took of the little dust shield and gave it scrape to get the flakes of rust off of it, and to satisfy myself the little torx would loosen tip, give the torx head a medium bash with the head of a hammer then hammer the torx socket in it, first action flattens the head in a bit so the socket fits snug, also loosens the rust and breaks any seized up bolts. No point doing it up or painting it as it's porous on some of the edges so will need new ones eventually.

Next job was remove the OS track arm. I didn't even try to loosen the old one's adjusters as they are always mega seized, just replaced the whole thing as the outside track rod had play, and the back one felt a bit loose too. Few strikes of a 1 pound mallet got the outside one to pop but the inner one was a complete bar steward, so I got out the ball joint splitter and let that take the strain.

Done the measure up thingy with the old arm then put the new one on (After slabbering the new threads with copper slip) and torque'd up to 74 Lb Ft on outside joint, I'd seen another suggestion, from Haynes that the inner one is 25 Lb Ft but that's way too loose for my liking, so done it to about 50 Lb Ft.

Still got the NS track arm to replace, plus remove both wishbones and replace the longitudinal bushes with polys, and the other ones with new GM bushes, then get tracking done. Probably should go for new ball joints this time, never done on my CD so probably worthwhile since I'm in there with everything off (the car, not me!)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 April 2022, 10:23:42 »

The N/S track arm is now replaced. I've also started cleaning the headlights with wet & dry working up the grits 800 > 3000. Decided to take the rear wheels off and check everything around and underneath there, and give all the nuts and bolts a scoosh of WD. While I had the wheels off I squeezed the rear caliper pistons bak to check they weren't seizing.

When I had the rears off I released the handbrake and put in N so I could rotate rear wheels. Just a note when you remove the block of wood from the front wheel make sure you're back in P and handbrake on! My driveway has a slight incline near the end of it, so my other omega was sitting down this incline, and the elite at the top of it, just on the edge.

When I pulled the block out I forgot about handbrake so as I was kicking it back with my feet it was getting caught again every time, not realising the car was inching forward slowly onto the block again. Once I'd completely removed the block, I'd walked away to do something else, and the elite rolled forward but luckily I had my open toolbox about a foot in front of it, which stopped it about 2 inches from the bumper of the CD!

Even if it had hit the CD there wasn't any serious distance (4 feet maybe) to gather speed and the incline is mild (probably a few percent) so would probably have just bounced off it. 

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2022, 21:57:51 »

Just started stripping out all the stuff to do the following jobs:

Engine:
Timing belt
Rocker gaskets
Oil cooler

underneath:
poly bushes for the arms
Ball joints (Refurbish arms basically)

Decided to give the oil cooler job a go, never done it before so wanted to see how it all came apart and give it the once over while there. Utter pain in the pants getting those oil cooler > block pipes off, I managed to get it with normal 19mm spanner, but only just, very limited movement and had to remove the crank sensor for space.

The big nut. closest to front, that holds the plate onto the oil cooler also stripped thread on the way off and had to grab it with a pair of parrot grips to yank it off. looking at the cooler it looks clean enough on the outside but I can only see glimmers of light through it. I've got 2 new ones so may as well replace it while it's out. The sealant on the plate was looking a bit disheveled so get that sealed up properly again.

Stripped all the belt out as well and locked up the engine ready for the new belt. Funny that the tensioner had 2 big indents right round it, couldn't see where that came from. The tensioners all feel nice and tight as does the water pump, but you can see the dust from the belt all over the back casing.

Still to strip the arms out to replace the bushes with polys and the ball joints. I'm going to find perfect bushes and ball joints I just know it!

Plenty to keep me going!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.