Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front coil spring sizes???  (Read 1390 times)

2.5v6

• Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Front coil spring sizes???
« on: 12 April 2022, 16:23:54 »

Hello all, I’m after a new set of decent front springs, my old springs measure 360mm, when looking at some online sites some say left and right are different in height? Is this true? I’m swaying just to go with 360mm on both sides, also can anyone suggest where I can get Sachs springs from or equivalent versions? Cheers all

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Front coil spring sizes???
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2022, 16:32:49 »

Original GM springs are slightly different side-to-side. Aftermarket ones aren't, and you'll only notice when you take them out of the box.

Don't worry about it.

Your existing springs have almost certainly sagged over their years of use, so don't expect new ones to be the same length.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2022, 18:12:56 »

Also because most of the Omegas sold were left hand drive, most references to replacement springs are based on this as LHD cars had the driver, battery and controls (steering gear, column and pedals) all on one side, so the longer spring was intended for the front left...

HOWEVER, RHD cars are much more evenly balanced so should have equal length springs.

Personally...

Kilen HD would be my recommendation. Fitted to several Omegs with good results.

All V6s/4 pot diesels have the same fronts, and all 4pot petrols have the same fronts. 2.5td/dti has its own springs because the engine is a heavy bastid.

All saloons use the same rear, and all estates use the same rear.

There are a few other variations, but unless your car us a limo, armoured or a hearse, they're largely irrelevant.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2022, 18:32:09 »

Kilen 20060 for the fronts.

Sachs Shocks and Pedders HD Monaro top mounts.

Sachs also do a kit to replace the spring seat pads and bumpstops :y

2.5v6

• Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2022, 18:58:24 »

We’ll explained!, I should have said I’m replacing rear shocks too, Sachs all way round so any suggestions on the coils would be appreciated    :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2022, 19:22:50 »

Saloon or estate?

Also, just to clarify, what engine? 2.0/2.2 petrol use different front springs.

2.5v6

• Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2022, 19:26:59 »

Saloon, 2.5 v6

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2022, 19:36:35 »

OK, fronts will be as above.

Rears, Kilen 60037 again Sachs shocks as they are the factory ones and come with the factory fittings.

Also consider the rear subframe bushes, again Pedders Monaro HD bushes (with Harrop Diff*).

* this will mean nothing until you order them.  ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2022, 20:58:14 »

All saloons use the same rear, and all estates use the same rear.

Thats not actually  correct - Vauxhall (GM) didn't think so either. They didn't use the same rear spring for all saloon, or estate models, as can be seen on the EPC  with all the different ident codes for the various rear springs.
Owners are often misled by aftermarket spring manufacturers stating 'one spring fits all' - which probably accounts for why many Omegas can be seen with 'dragster style' back ends because the correct springs weren't fitted.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2022, 21:07:53 »

The load weight of all Omega rear springs is identical for any given body style. That is a fact.

It is the spring rate that is different for some applications. It is a subtle difference, and perhaps I could have been clearer.

The ride height issue you describe is because people have either fitted Elite springs to non Elite cars or replaced the self levelling shocks with standard ones and not changed the springs to match.

Also makes no account of fitting second hand unknown springs because they were 'cheap'.

Also not all brands of spring (or shock) are equal.

The numbers given above are correct for a V6 saloon and what I would personally fit if it were my car. ie Kilen front springs and Kilen HD rear springs. The fronts are governed by engine type and the rears by the fitted shocks, although the HD one that I recommend ARE interchangeable with either shock type.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2022, 21:21:09 »

The ride height issue you describe is because people have either fitted Elite springs to non Elite cars or replaced the self levelling shocks with standard ones and not changed the springs to match.

In my experience, it is the other way round - Elite springs are softer than non self levelling, so when owners fit the 'one spring fits all' spring to an Elite with the self levelling shockers, as the spring is likely to be firmer, the ride height is adversely affected - usually with the 'jacked up' appearance. Not all aftermarket springs have the progressive would coils with the thin pigtails either which will affect the ride height.
My personal preference is genuine GM rear springs with the correct ident lettering for the particular model to ensure the correct ride height.
Others obviously have their preferences, or don't mind chancing not keeping the original ride height / appearance.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2022, 21:25:11 »

**wound**
Predictive text.... ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2022, 21:33:13 »

My '54 Plod estste had standard factory Rough Road (aka HD springs) with standard factory shocks including working self levelling rears, (replaced with genuine VX sourced replacements all round).

My last Omega, '52 2.2 GLS estate had completely replaced suspension, including Sachs shocks and Kilen springs (engine appropriate at the front and HD at the rear.

The ride height of both cars was identical.

QED.

Incidentally, my last 3.2 Elite estate (ordered new with the Irmscher styling kit) was retrofitted with Irmscher springs and shocks (self levelling delete as it wasn't compatible) and sat about 30mm lower.

Also if you look at the physical Irmscher catalogue, it gives the appropriate spring weights for any given model.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2022, 21:34:12 »

Fitting non S/L springs to a car with working levelling shocks gives the best of both: the S/L barely has to work in normal usage, and the ride is mostly standard. But when you do load the car heavily(three heavy passengers and their luggage, a caravan, 2engines in an estate etc) the levelling works as intended.

I would rather have new aftermarket springs than the tired 20 year old ones the car came with. The front of my estate rose 30mm that way, with the ride and handling restored to new.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2022, 22:00:20 »

My '54 Plod estste had standard factory Rough Road (aka HD springs) with standard factory shocks including working self levelling rears, (replaced with genuine VX sourced replacements all round).

My last Omega, '52 2.2 GLS estate had completely replaced suspension, including Sachs shocks and Kilen springs (engine appropriate at the front and HD at the rear.

The ride height of both cars was identical.

QED.

Incidentally, my last 3.2 Elite estate (ordered new with the Irmscher styling kit) was retrofitted with Irmscher springs and shocks (self levelling delete as it wasn't compatible) and sat about 30mm lower.

Also if you look at the physical Irmscher catalogue, it gives the appropriate spring weights for any given model.

QED?
You haven't 'proven' anything - just given the result of your particular experience.  That doesn't actually 'prove' anything....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2022, 22:47:49 »

Whatever.

The '54 is in Ireland somewhere and the 2.2 has long been crushed.

If I had both cars here, side by side to prove my point I would do a lovely walk around video to actually show you.

Point being that I stand by my experience whether you choose to accept it or not  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.