Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Range anxiety?  (Read 2406 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Range anxiety?
« Reply #30 on: 26 April 2022, 18:03:41 »

Middle of next century then.  ;D
Or until we are made to. Don't underestimate the power of the lentil munchers, they are calling the tune right now.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 April 2022, 18:20:03 »

Ultimately the tax situation will determine it for most people. After all, think how cheap petrol would be without the duty on it.  :o

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 April 2022, 19:02:04 »

Ultimately the tax situation will determine it for most people. After all, think how cheap petrol would be without the duty on it.  :o
That's another thing EV owners have got coming down the track, road pricing. There's gantries popping up everywhere.
Diesel till I die

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 April 2022, 20:13:12 »

Agreed, it's pretty obvious that some sort of Pay As You Go type model will be coming down the track, the reduced VED take will need to be met somehow, it's foolish to believe otherwise.

My guess is that they will 'stack' this with VED to get older cars off the roads - much like those few ordinary cars from around 06/07 that got caught in the £500+ VED bracket, they've largely been taxed off the roads.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 April 2022, 20:19:20 »

Agreed, it's pretty obvious that some sort of Pay As You Go type model will be coming down the track, the reduced VED take will need to be met somehow, it's foolish to believe otherwise.

My guess is that they will 'stack' this with VED to get older cars off the roads - much like those few ordinary cars from around 06/07 that got caught in the £500+ VED bracket, they've largely been taxed off the roads.
Or they will increase VED for milky's.  Or more likely, both.

Once EVs become mainstream enough, they will have to pay more than their fair share of taxes.  It never has been about environmental issues (not that EVs are environmentally friendly)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2022, 20:21:57 »

That's another thing wE'Ve owners have got coming down the track, road pricing. There's gantries popping up everywhere.

Fixed that for you Uncle STEMO.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 April 2022, 20:37:17 »

That's another thing wE'Ve owners have got coming down the track, road pricing. There's gantries popping up everywhere.

Fixed that for you Uncle STEMO.  :)
Yes, I know, Tigger, but I haven't seen any sign of gantries in Barnsleywakefield  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 26 April 2022, 20:41:45 »

£500 VED wouldn't put me off owning a diesel, but it probably would most people. No demand for diesel=no diesel, so we'd be forced off the road one way or another.
If I get really pissed off with it all in my old age, I'll go and set fire to the New Forest or something, that should cause a few emissions.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 26 April 2022, 20:57:31 »

Especially if the fire reaches Fawley and Marchwood.  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 April 2022, 23:09:20 »

£500 VED wouldn't put me off owning a diesel, but it probably would most people. No demand for diesel=no diesel, so we'd be forced off the road one way or another.
If I get really pissed off with it all in my old age, I'll go and set fire to the New Forest or something, that should cause a few emissions.  ;D

That won't happen in my lifetime IMV. There really isn't any alternative for agricultural vehicles, lorries or ships, and there are many miles of railway that aren't electrified, so use diesel trains. So demand for diesel will still be there, and whilst lorries still run on diesel, the distribution network will need to stay more or less as it is.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 April 2022, 08:52:56 »

That won't happen in my lifetime IMV. There really isn't any alternative for agricultural vehicles, lorries or ships, and there are many miles of railway that aren't electrified, so use diesel trains. So demand for diesel will still be there, and whilst lorries still run on diesel, the distribution network will need to stay more or less as it is.
Unless the government stain the fuel - agricultural diesel style - stating its only to be used by artics, buses and trains etc.

Whether or not thats a consideration will depend if the liberal, middle class, female Oxford types get in or not....
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 April 2022, 14:58:53 »

Can said Oxford types get to that there Lundun by train without using diesel?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 April 2022, 18:40:24 »

Not via the Chiltern Mainline.  Can't remember (or care) if the Oxford to Didcot bit is electrified yet.

But dirty, stinky uses belching black soot clearly has no environmental impact, because its not a car.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 April 2022, 19:28:00 »

Not via the Chiltern Mainline.  Can't remember (or care) if the Oxford to Didcot bit is electrified yet.

But dirty, stinky uses belching black soot clearly has no environmental impact, because its not a car.
Ironic, isn't it...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.