Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 head removal  (Read 1736 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
V6 head removal
« on: 22 April 2022, 21:08:33 »

Hi guys hope ur all good

I have manifold gasket or cracked manifold causing slight fumes in to the car. I have one or more dead lifters. I have leaking cam covers. A duff thermostat. And slight coolant leak from the cooler plate.
My wheel arches are just starting to turn again. The front bumper has a recent scuff. I need at least two tires and two track rod ends.

And this is a car that I’ve always looked after. Talk about all things coming at once 🤣🤣🤣

Anyway I want to take me old man to the vaux fest again this year and I don’t want to take my shed the way it is. All these things have honestly had me looking at new cars.

However the reality is I can’t see anything that I’d like as much and it’s fairly cheap to maintain.

Anyway I’ve decided to stick with the devil I know and I’m gonna take it off road for couple of weeks and take the heads off and get all these things done with the plan to get me and the old boy to the vaux fest.

I’ve done this job before so I know what to expect. Couple of quick questions on things I’ve forgotten about… that metal coolant pipe that runs parallel with drivers exh. manifold…. is it 1 bolt holding it to head or block and is it accessible?
Last question… can u remind me where u put that green snot? If memory serves it’s just under the front cam caps but honestly can’t remember 🤣

Cheers in advance boys 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
Re: V6 head removal
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2022, 21:11:53 »

Oh and that coolant pipe… where does that snake to?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2022, 22:21:37 »

Oh and that coolant pipe… where does that snake to?

Two bolts attach it to the back of the engine, just inboard of the coil pack. It's sealed with an O-ring. Removal is pretty obvious once you've removed the inlet manifolds and alternator.

Lift the heads with the exhaust manifolds attached to save a load of faffing about. You definitely want to refit them like that.

I bought 4 new lifters when I did my headgaskets because I could hear some of them were noisy. I checked and cleaned them all, and replaced the four worst ones. I only bought four because that's all they had at about £2 each. Use 10w40 oil, as that makes the engine run noticeably quieter than 5w30. Leaks less too.

A smear of sealant is needed around the front cam caps; I just used some generic stuff(probably Wurth) for such jobs.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2022, 22:34:34 »

Thanks Nick much appreciated 👍 what at the back does the o ring seal go in to. I just can’t picture it. Also do those coolant lines next to the oil filter need to come off?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2022, 22:50:30 »

One thing I thought of also…. all the washers and plate for cooler etc still available at vaux? I tried to get the down pipe gaskets and they said they no longer make them so I’m guessing some of this stuff is no longer available 🤷‍♂️
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2022, 22:55:07 »

Thanks Nick much appreciated 👍 what at the back does the o ring seal go in to. I just can’t picture it. Also do those coolant lines next to the oil filter need to come off?

It fit just like the thermostat housing. It might even be the same o-ring. Although being German it's just as likely to be microscopically different for some reason ::)

I vaguely remember removing the oil cooler fittings, but left the lines in place. Something needed to be moved - again, German

Aren't the cooler bolts banjos? In which case, they're just copper washers.

Why the opps would you buy downpipe gaskets from GM???
« Last Edit: 22 April 2022, 22:57:27 by Nick W »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2022, 10:31:41 »

The oil cooler pipes need detaching from the engine at side of oil filter[they're just ordinary nut type fittings undone with a crows foot spanner] the engine end are then banjo bolts and the pipes can then be moved aside to remove cooler plate/cooler.If you weren't removing the heads then the coolant bridge would also need removing but as you are removing the heads you'll have to do that anyway.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2022, 11:01:32 »

Lovely stuff guys thanks very much for the input. I’ll get some WD on them cooler lines near the oil filter cos they look questionable 🤣🤣🤣

So the o ring fitting on that coolant pipe does it just push in to the block somewhere?

To be honest I’ll probably end up ripping it all out. If it looks like it vaguely might be in the way it’s coming off 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers men for all ur help 😃😃😃👍👍👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2022, 11:05:01 »

It fit just like the thermostat housing. It might even be the same o-ring. Although being German it's just as likely to be microscopically different for some reason ::)

I vaguely remember removing the oil cooler fittings, but left the lines in place. Something needed to be moved - again, German

Aren't the cooler bolts banjos? In which case, they're just copper washers.

Why the opps would you buy downpipe gaskets from GM???

Yeah I’d have thought so but I’ve never had it apart before so I don’t know. I remember the coolant bridge had some weird funky rubber insert on the banjo bolts so wondered if that was the same deal with the cooler??
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2022, 11:55:32 »

Hi Webby!  :)

When I did mine a few years ago, I followed James's excellent step by step guide and found the process fairly straight forward.  :y

Enjoy!  :)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90560.0
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2022, 12:22:10 »

If the oil cooler is fine, then leave it alone.  Same as the heads do you need to remove them, is the head gasket gone,  you said it's just exhaust manifold gasket, so just change them. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Hoof'land storeman.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2022, 15:00:18 »

With that list of jobs I would be considering looking around for a good Omega that doesnt need all that work.
Not many left I know, but they are out there.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2022, 16:03:20 »

Picture of 2003 Vauxhall Omega 3.2 v6 elite estate For Sale
2003 Vauxhall Omega 3.2 v6 elite estate For Sale
£9,995
Vauxhall omega elite v6 automatic estate tourer!!!! the ultimate vauxhall tourer 10 stamp service history, 83,000 miles, 3 owners. exceptional condition throughout. just had full service, timing belt replacement, 4 new uniroyal rainsport 5 tyres, alloys refurbished, fully loaded, 3.2 v6 super smooth engine, automatic ...
6 Mar 2022
Private
                      Well some are fetching pretty good money😱
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2022, 16:07:43 »

The seller can ask it, bit the chances of him getting anywhere near it are slim to none.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2022, 17:21:49 »

Yes indeed very nice though👍
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.