Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EGR fault .  (Read 1053 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
EGR fault .
« on: 24 April 2022, 13:04:51 »

X20XEV .
Went to check the Omega over for it's NCT (MOT) test tomorrow and EML came on ...... >:(

Did a check and the fault is 0403 which is EGR voltage  either low or high .

Tried disconnecting the electrical plug and the EML stayed off until engine revved and then it returned .
Plug back on the EML stayed on from start .
Anyway this can be overcome without replacing the EGR by tomorrow ...?

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Re: EGR fault .
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2022, 16:58:16 »

Strip it, soak it in petrol, wire brush seven kinds of you-know what out of it, reassemble?

*I've never owned one with an EGR so I'm going off memory...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2022, 16:59:03 »

Removed the EGR checked and cleaned it . 320 ohms across terminals so it isn't open circuit .
Checked the fault code again and found 0340( cam sensor incorrect signal )  lurking behind the 0403 egr fault code .
So there are two mysterious separate fault codes with no rational explanation as the car was driving perfectly .
I'll have to get it plugged into a friends code reader with reset function and see if clearing the fault codes does anything .

No annual test tomorrow and a cancellation/no show fee to follow .  >:(

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2022, 17:10:47 »

Black tape on the cluster. It's the obvious solution.

Apart from the tester realising something is amiss when his eyes are streaming.

Dodgy earth or chafed wire? Could you have dislodged the cam sensor wiring whilst working on the EGR?

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2022, 18:22:34 »

Black tape on the cluster. It's the obvious solution.

Apart from the tester realising something is amiss when his eyes are streaming.

Dodgy earth or chafed wire? Could you have dislodged the cam sensor wiring whilst working on the EGR?

Doubt it as the two are either end of the engine but I'll go out later and remove the TB cover and just check the cam sensor wiring and fixing bolts  .
I'm sceptical that both have failed for no apparent reason . I've went through the wiring diagram and they are off separate circuits from the ECU with no apparent external connection .
I did examine the cam sensor wiring but it was OK.
Last drove it about three weeks ago and it was fine then .
Not sure what voltage should be at the egr valve when static or running but zero volts when static with ignition on .
I last changed the cam sensor in 2016 but it's done very few miles since .
I'll try and get to the OBD diagnostic  set tomorrow AM  and see what clearing the fault codes does .
Failing that I'll walk away from it until I get another chance to look at it ,more serious problems to deal with at present .
Thanks for the suggestions .  :y
« Last Edit: 24 April 2022, 18:24:22 by Olympia5776 »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2022, 19:48:53 »

How's the battery voltage?

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2022, 09:21:52 »

How's the battery voltage?

The battery may be where the problem came from.
I keep the car on a battery " exerciser " that allows the voltage to drop to 11 ish and charges back to 12 ish . I've used it on the car for 15 years ( and another car I have ) with no problems .
BUT ... I always disconnected the battery from the car when it was "charging" but this last time I didn't so that may have caused the problem.
I'll look into it again later .
Thanks for the suggestions .
Don

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2022, 22:07:32 »

Grrrrrrr........ >:(

Two minutes with the OBD scanner seen the faults identified as previously mentioned and "circuit malfunction" logged against them .
One sweep of the finger and they were gone .
Ran the car for twenty minutes and started it several times with no recurrence so all looks good again.
I think that the problem is as I said in that by connecting the exercise charger with the battery connected to the car it leads to these problems as looking back over the journal I have kept for the car in the 19 years I've owned it shows up two similar incidents .
The lovely lady on the end of the phone who took my cancellation for it's test kindly waived the €25 fee normally charged so no spend at the end of the day .. 
A happy Scotsman am I .. :)
Don

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2022, 22:24:51 »

Two minutes with the OBD scanner seen the faults identified as previously mentioned and "circuit malfunction" logged against them .
Ran the car for twenty minutes and started it several times with no recurrence so all looks good again.
I think that the problem is as I said in that by connecting the exercise charger with the battery connected to the car it leads to these problems as looking back over the journal I have kept for the car in the 19 years I've owned it shows up two similar incidents .
The lovely lady on the end of the phone who took my cancellation for it's test kindly waived the €25 fee normally charged so no spend at the end of the day .. 
Don
Good result, Don. Get yourself a code reader, because...........well, you know because  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2022, 22:26:01 »

And well done GK  :y
Diesel till I die

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2022, 23:35:41 »

Don
Good result, Don. Get yourself a code reader, because...........well, you know because  ;D

You know Steve , I didn't realise how cheap they are now ,I'll have to get one . :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2022, 13:32:49 »

What are the facts about charging a battery connected or not connected when using  using a battery conditioner or standard charger?

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2022, 14:16:58 »

Don

You know Steve , I didn't realise how cheap they are now ,I'll have to get one . :y

I use a cheapy OBD reader and the Torque free app, it does most things you need.

I sometimes see the proper readers in Aldi's aisle of unnecessary expense for about 15-20 quid, never tried one though.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2022, 15:21:14 »

What are the facts about charging a battery connected or not connected when using  using a battery conditioner or standard charger?

My understanding is that the preferred method recommended by many battery manufacturers and manufacturers of Smart chargers if charging on the vehicle, is to connect the positive to the battery terminal or remote postive terminal, and the negative to either a dedicated negative post located away from the battery, or a suitable other earthed point away from the battery itself.
If the battery is off the vehicle, then obviously connect up as normal to the battery terminals.
Recommended is to connect positive before negative, and then disconnect negative before positive.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.