Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two more days to go  (Read 4590 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Two more days to go
« on: 24 April 2021, 20:33:27 »

A week last Tuesday, I was driving behind a Hyundai i10 (hateful little car) at around 25mph, for around half a mile. There was steam coming out of my ears and, as soon as I saw the slightest gap, I was past it. Straight into the jaws of cameravan man. I looked down to see 43mph staring back at me. I was pissed off at that, but even more pissed off at the thought of the driver of the mobile roadblock wetting herself with glee.
Anyway, no NIP yet, 11 days and counting. If it doesn't arrive, this will be three times in a row, although 43 is definitely the highest transgression.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Two more days to go
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2021, 21:22:09 »

Good luck!  :y  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2021, 21:36:12 »

3 points or the choice of speed awareness or a Specsavers voucher.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2021, 10:15:23 »

Presumably it was a 30 limit, so if the speedo was 43, that likely to be 40-41mph, which I think is beyond the threshold to be offered a patronisation course.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2021, 11:14:31 »

Specsavers voucher it is then.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2021, 12:42:42 »

Specsavers voucher it is then.  :D
Shouldn't you be caressing Pierre's internals instead of wasting your time on here.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2021, 12:57:54 »

A week last Tuesday, I was driving behind a Hyundai i10 (hateful little car) at around 25mph, for around half a mile. There was steam coming out of my ears and, as soon as I saw the slightest gap, I was past it. Straight into the jaws of cameravan man. I looked down to see 43mph staring back at me. I was pissed off at that, but even more pissed off at the thought of the driver of the mobile roadblock wetting herself with glee.
Anyway, no NIP yet, 11 days and counting. If it doesn't arrive, this will be three times in a row, although 43 is definitely the highest transgression.

Hanging is too good for you. I can't condone breaking the speed limit. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2021, 19:35:39 »

Last time I got done, I thought I'd got away with it, but the NIP plopped through the letterbox at the last possible moment.  ::)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2021, 20:34:17 »

I got done at 36  ::)
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2021, 21:11:59 »

I got done in 1984, copper said I was doing 100 mph so I agreed with him, after i got read my rights they asked how fast I was actulayy going as they couldnt catch me, the only other thing on that road whilst i was on it was a Z1300 that passed me like I was in slow motion.

The good old days eh when I was young and stupid.(Saying that I never miss behaved or raced other traffic)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2021, 21:16:29 »

Last time I got done, I thought I'd got away with it, but the NIP plopped through the letterbox at the last possible moment.  ::)

It's as if they're toying with you....

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2021, 10:32:50 »

... which I think is beyond the threshold to be offered a patronisation course.

It depends on the force. The highest is 10% + 9mph. So 42mph in a 30 and that'll be a certain 42, not an indicated 42. I don't know what the lowest is and I seem to remember 1 police force refuses to say publically.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2021, 12:59:49 »

Postie has been...one day to go. 😕
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2021, 13:28:08 »

Two. The day of the offence is Day Zero, not day 1.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 April 2021, 14:53:23 »

Two. The day of the offence is Day Zero, not day 1.
Correct, but I was mistaken on the day of the alleged offence, it was the Monday. One more day to go.
Diesel till I die

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 April 2021, 15:11:17 »

Correct, but I was mistaken on the day of the alleged offence, it was the Monday. One more day to go.

Are you sure?  ;D Your story, sorry, record of events keeps changing.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 April 2021, 15:40:27 »

The elderly do tend to get confused. ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 April 2021, 19:52:31 »

Hopefully they missed you.  :)

As I've posted several times before, and several times I've been told I was a fool to give up so easily, two of my speeding NIP's were way beyond the 14 days arrival time. Both were camera van offences so I wasn't spoken to at the scene and both were in my own personal vehicle, registered to me. I challenged both on the advice of Pepipoo and sent off the pre-written letter stating the 14 day limit.

This is what I received back both times:

'The law states that the police must send the NIP within 14 days of the offence, not including the day it happened. So, the NIP you receive must be dated within 14 days of the offence. If it is dated outside of this time, the notice is invalid.'

With the offer of contesting it in Court, and with me being guilty as charged, I really couldn't be arsed to challenge it that far, so yes, I did give in to their intimidation. The reply stated that they would claim that it was sent in good time so why wouldn't they expect it to arrive on time.  :-\

The wording should be along the lines of 'The NIP must be served to the driver or registered keeper of the offending vehicle within 14 days of the offence. Failure to serve the NIP within this time limit will result in the offence not proceeding at court.'
So, they lied to me, both times, even though it's there for all to see.  >:(

No point me debating this as it was a few years back now and although I'm told I should have rejected them, which I did, I clearly didn't do it with enough commitment.
So, the Police misled me both times about only the date on the letter mattering, in writing. I survived the ordeal, I got over it, their intimidation worked on me.  :)
« Last Edit: 26 April 2021, 20:08:21 by YZ250 »
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 April 2021, 20:58:59 »

The only thing I can think of is that he'd just parked up and was getting ready to do the dirty deed  :-\
If nothing arrives I'll consider myself more than lucky, because this will be the third time. Although last time it was an indicated speed of 38mph and James told me I shouldn't worry about it  :-\
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 April 2021, 21:34:31 »

"third time lucky"
oh      :-[    :P      :-X       :D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 April 2021, 21:35:09 »

As I've posted several times before, and several times I've been told I was a fool to give up so easily, two of my speeding NIP's were way beyond the 14 days arrival time. Both were camera van offences so I wasn't spoken to at the scene and both were in my own personal vehicle, registered to me. I challenged both on the advice of Pepipoo and sent off the pre-written letter stating the 14 day limit.

'The law states that the police must send the NIP within 14 days of the offence, not including the day it happened. So, the NIP you receive must be dated within 14 days of the offence. If it is dated outside of this time, the notice is invalid.'

With the offer of contesting it in Court, and with me being guilty as charged, I really couldn't be arsed to challenge it that far, so yes, I did give in to their intimidation. The reply stated that they would claim that it was sent in good time so why wouldn't they expect it to arrive on time.  :-\

The wording should be along the lines of 'The NIP must be served to the driver or registered keeper of the offending vehicle within 14 days of the offence. Failure to serve the NIP within this time limit will result in the offence not proceeding at court.'

No point me debating this as it was a few years back now and although I'm told I should have rejected them, which I did, I clearly didn't do it with enough commitment.
So, the Police misled me both times about only the date on the letter mattering, in writing. I survived the ordeal, I got over it, their intimidation worked on me.  :)

You caved. You were convicted because you plead guilty (by accepting the CoFP). You believed the police civilian whose job it is to maximise income and took the easy way out ::).

The law is clear. The NIP must be served within 14 days. Served means it's landed on your door mat. When posted by 1st class post the notice is presumed to have been delivered (served) two working days after it's posted. This is a rebuttal presumption - if you can show it didn't arrive within the 14 days for some reason then it wasn't served correctly and you have a cast iron defence. However you basically have to prove that it didn't arrive in time. A court won't believe you if you just stand up and say it didn't arrive - you have to be able to prove it didn't.

Proving it is tricky. However, if it's posted on (say) day 25, and that's a Thursday, then days 27 and 28 are a weekend, which aren't working days, so service can't be presumed. It could arrive on the Friday, and if you knew it had then it's purgery to claim it didn't. However if you don't know when it landed then the first presumed service is the Monday, which would be day 29. 
« Last Edit: 26 April 2021, 21:37:17 by LC0112G »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 April 2021, 22:05:17 »

You caved. You were convicted because you plead guilty (by accepting the CoFP). You believed the police civilian whose job it is to maximise income and took the easy way out ::).

The law is clear. The NIP must be served within 14 days. Served means it's landed on your door mat. When posted by 1st class post the notice is presumed to have been delivered (served) two working days after it's posted. This is a rebuttal presumption - if you can show it didn't arrive within the 14 days for some reason then it wasn't served correctly and you have a cast iron defence. However you basically have to prove that it didn't arrive in time. A court won't believe you if you just stand up and say it didn't arrive - you have to be able to prove it didn't.

Proving it is tricky. However, if it's posted on (say) day 25, and that's a Thursday, then days 27 and 28 are a weekend, which aren't working days, so service can't be presumed. It could arrive on the Friday, and if you knew it had then it's purgery to claim it didn't. However if you don't know when it landed then the first presumed service is the Monday, which would be day 29.

On one of mine, proving it didn't arrive within 14 days would have been really easy. They dated it about six days after the offence, then they sent it to me .......... on the very same day that a Postal strike started.  ;D  I received it 31 days after the offence but still didn't fancy going to court to contest the rights and wrongs of it. I have an aversion to courts from my younger days.  ::)  I considered it a fair trade for some of the higher speeds that I'd hit and got away with.  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2021, 22:33:37 »

Don't feel bad about it. If a NIP lands on my doormat 15, 16 or even 17 days after the offence, I will not contest it. Mostly because I really can't see how I could prove it was late, but also because I was speeding. I'm just hopeful that, if it doesn't arrive within the time limit, there's a reasonable chance it won't arrive at all.
Diesel till I die

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2021, 07:19:22 »

Seems to me you're all a bunch of villains not like us honest law abiding citizens here in Scunny :D ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2021, 09:44:08 »

Us poor old pensioners should be excluded from speeding fines as most of the time we don't even remember using the car..😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2021, 11:51:34 »

Postie has been.....no NIP.  :)
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2021, 12:06:12 »

Everything crossed for you, hate those money grabbing bastards.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2021, 12:12:21 »

Everything crossed for you, hate those money grabbing bastards.

That's only true for foreign sourced parcels.....

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2021, 13:12:21 »

Don't feel bad about it. If a NIP lands on my doormat 15, 16 or even 17 days after the offence, I will not contest it. Mostly because I really can't see how I could prove it was late, but also because I was speeding. I'm just hopeful that, if it doesn't arrive within the time limit, there's a reasonable chance it won't arrive at all.

What if it arrives 25 or 30 days after the event?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2021, 13:27:59 »

That depends on the date of the NIP.

If its dated later than the 14 days then you have a good case, but dated within the 14 days and with time for delivery it then gets tricky as you then have to prove it was late.  ???

Postmarks don't have dates anymore I think?  ??? :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 April 2021, 13:33:19 »

If its dated later than the 14 days then you have a good case, but dated within the 14 days and with time for delivery it then gets tricky as you then have to prove it was late.  ???

I was wondering if he 'could be arsed' to contest it or just pay up for an easy life. :)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 April 2021, 14:31:45 »

Which is why you should make yourself scarce on days 14 and 15.

Anything dated day 14 or later is an automatic get out of jail free card - it cannot possibly have arrived by post within the 14 day limit.

If the NIP is dated on day 13, and sent by first class post, then service is presumed on day 15, which is outside the limit. It could actually arrive on day 14, in which case it would be in time, but the prosecution would have to prove it was actually delivered on day 14 which is something they couldn't do. If you knew it had arrived on day 14, then it would be a serious offence to claim it was late - because you knew it wasn't. So make yourself scarce (visit the mother in law) for days 14 and 15 and then you can honestly claim you don't know when it arrived.

Anything dated on day 12 or earlier is (as you say) much more difficult, unless weekends, Bank holidays, Postmarks or Post office strikes come to the rescue.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 April 2021, 17:11:33 »

I used to have a bad habit of zipping through the lights on amber before they went red.  ::)

I was cured of this when I got two NIP's through the letter box on the same day, after they fitted 'speed on green' cameras to the traffic lights!  :(

One sixty quid fine and three points, and a speed awareness course.  :)

Made my day!  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 April 2021, 18:54:21 »

Anything dated on day 12 or earlier is (as you say) much more difficult, unless weekends, Bank holidays, Postmarks or Post office strikes come to the rescue.

I fully agree with what you are saying.  :y  For the benefit of anyone who's never been in this situation I'll explain why I feel they play dirty.
One of mine was dated the 11th day after the offence and the other the 8th day. The one dated the 8th day got caught up in a postal strike and arrived 31 days after the offence so I challenged it. The reply was that it was sent in good time so they had every right to believe that it would arrive in time and that would be their reasoning in court, as they couldn't be expected to know that it would get hooked up in the postal strike. Note that I'd have had to go to court, it would not be rejected immediately as the date on the letter was within the time scale. They are still using this tactic now.
They must bank on people reacting like I did, and that's why I feel they play dirty, as I was on ten foot of concrete with that one but just didn't want to go to court.
They use that court challenge as a means of putting people off pursuing it.
On another note, the other NIP had the wrong registration number on the NIP paperwork as well as being late, an E instead of an F. I decided to challenge that one but was warned, again by the police or civilian worker, that as the photo clearly showed me driving, it didn't matter if the registration number quoted was an E, an F or a P, Q or anything else, the court would still know that it was me driving. It would be put down as an Admin Slip.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 April 2021, 19:19:34 »

I fully agree with what you are saying.  :y  For the benefit of anyone who's never been in this situation I'll explain why I feel they play dirty.
One of mine was dated the 11th day after the offence and the other the 8th day. The one dated the 8th day got caught up in a postal strike and arrived 31 days after the offence so I challenged it. The reply was that it was sent in good time so they had every right to believe that it would arrive in time and that would be their reasoning in court, as they couldn't be expected to know that it would get hooked up in the postal strike. Note that I'd have had to go to court, it would not be rejected immediately as the date on the letter was within the time scale. They are still using this tactic now.
They must bank on people reacting like I did, and that's why I feel they play dirty, as I was on ten foot of concrete with that one but just didn't want to go to court.
They use that court challenge as a means of putting people off pursuing it.
Yet if you'd gone to court you would have won. That's what is so insidious about the whole NIP/CoFP process - they're coercing innocent people into pleading guilty because it's cheaper for them, and they can do more people with less resources. If everyone opted to ignore the CofP and go to court, the system would grind to a halt and the Govt would have to do something to relax the rules.

On another note, the other NIP had the wrong registration number on the NIP paperwork as well as being late, an E instead of an F. I decided to challenge that one but was warned, again by the police or civilian worker, that as the photo clearly showed me driving, it didn't matter if the registration number quoted was an E, an F or a P, Q or anything else, the court would still know that it was me driving. It would be put down as an Admin Slip.

Wrong again. The NIP is asking who was driving the car with that registration on that date at that place. Wait till day 25 of the NIP period, and then reply saying you have no idea who was driving since you have no connection with any car with that registration. Which is 100% true.

Someone will look at the reply and work out that the reg on the NIP was wrong. However, if they attempt to re-issue a NIP with the correct reg, it'll arrive well after the 28 day limit for postal NIPs, so you reply to the NIP saying who was driving (to avoid a S172 charge)- but critically they cannot do you for the speeding offence since the NIP is out of date.

Small errors in the spelling of your name, or the location are de-minimus - and will be overlooked by any court. Major errors, like the time, date, or reg number cannot be overlooked.

....that as the photo clearly showed me driving....

So the civilian administratior of scam connections knows what YOU look like, and can stand up in court and say that the person in the photo is definatley YZ250? Yeah, right.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 April 2021, 20:10:35 »

I guess it just comes down to how lucky you're feeling!  :)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 April 2021, 20:39:51 »

I guess it just comes down to how lucky you're feeling!  :)

It would have been the only time that I'd been in court and been in the right ..........
and I blew it and let the opportunity pass. Damn, that was careless of me.   ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 April 2021, 17:34:10 »

they're coercing innocent people into pleading guilty
Innocent of the offence, or guilty but technically unconvictable?  ;)
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 April 2021, 19:04:24 »

they're coercing innocent people into pleading guilty
Innocent of the offence, or guilty but technically unconvictable?  ;)

Innocent. You can only be guilty of an offence if all the conditions attached to that offence are met. One of the conditions for speeding is that a valid NIP is served within 14 days. The courts/police/CPS aren't free to pick and chose which conditions they want to ignore.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 April 2021, 19:05:08 »

Free the Barnsley one!  ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 April 2021, 23:02:32 »

They got you then ?  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 April 2021, 23:35:17 »

Presumably it was a 30 limit, so if the speedo was 43, that likely to be 40-41 mph, which I think is beyond the threshold to be offered a patronisation course.
High 30's more like.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 April 2021, 06:45:02 »

They got you then ?  :-\
No, nothing yet Albs.  :)
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 April 2021, 13:23:16 »

Free the Barnsley one!  ;D

.......and his whippet. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 29 April 2021, 15:38:54 »

Presumably it was a 30 limit, so if the speedo was 43, that likely to be 40-41 mph, which I think is beyond the threshold to be offered a patronisation course.
High 30's more like.
I was clocked at 37mph to be invited to a speed/driver awareness course

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 04 May 2021, 11:39:39 »

I'd say there's a good chance I'm in the clear now. It's taught me a lesson, I'll never speed again  ::)
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04 May 2021, 11:45:49 »

🚗🚗🚗🚗 This will be the queue behind you cursing. 😂

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 May 2021, 11:53:51 »

🚗🚗🚗🚗 This will be the queue behind you cursing. 😂
I've had to do it behind old codgers for long enough, now it's my turn. 28mph and you can all eff off  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.