Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OEM brake pads - Brake dust  (Read 1985 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
OEM brake pads - Brake dust
« on: 24 September 2010, 22:46:49 »

I've no idea what brake pads are on my 2.6 Elite currently, but they do produce a lot of brake dust, even after a gentle drive the front wheels are always black.
Do OEM pads produce less brake dust? The brakes feel fine, but not excellent...so I may change the discs and pads, and wonder whether the cheap VX pads are ok, or whether to go for the OEM ones?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: OEM brake pads - Brake dust
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2010, 22:52:20 »

I have the tradeclub ones, those that come with the discs as a kit, and they do create a great deal of black dust, which also indicates to me that they must be wearing fairly quickly.

My intention next time is to buy the OEM ones from VX and see I notice the difference others have reported... I think it was Chris Gixer (might be wrong) who went for the OEM ones

EDIT .. have a read of this thread .. I think it's the one I'm thinking of .. :)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1279141118

Found the one I was thinking of ..

post 38 of this one

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1211404230

:)
« Last Edit: 24 September 2010, 23:02:56 by entwood »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2010, 23:05:52 »

if it doesnt create dust it will eat the discs quickly.. I think its normal.. I have used ate, vx/opel all of them create considerable dust especially at the front..

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2010, 23:07:10 »

Yep oe are good, but steep, get what you pay for....
Although £70 a front axle set is ott IMO, but the alternative is tc pads which are crap in comparison. tc work, they will stop the car as well, just a lot more feel and bite in-between. Little dust, no squeak, last well loads of feel.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2010, 23:08:31 »

Yep oe are good, but steep, get what you pay for....
Although £70 a front axle set is ott IMO, but the alternative is tc pads which are crap in comparison. tc work, they will stop the car as well, just  oe havea lot more feel and bite in-between. Little dust, no squeak, last well loads of feel.
Did I mention.... Lots of feel :y
« Last Edit: 24 September 2010, 23:17:42 by chrisgixer »

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2010, 23:12:01 »

Thanks Nige and Chris  :y
I try to keep my car looking presentable whenever possible, and the brake dust is becoming excessive. So I'll most likely get some OEM pads.
I do find the current pads don't bite that well, but for all I know they could be cheap one's on there. I'll have a look over the weekend at some point.
Thank you both for your imput.

You're right Cem...but it just seems that mine are a bit too excessive, a 20 miles drive can have the front wheels black with brake dust, even if the braking has only been moderate to light.

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2010, 23:22:08 »

Yes i have to give my wheels a good scrub every week or it starts to burn into the alloy. only way round it is to paint your wheels a nice shade of black  :P

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2010, 23:24:38 »

Might be worth a quote from andyc, or enquire at allgermanparts whe supply jurid pads. Oe have jurid on the back.

There must be a cheaper way to get these pads.
Tc are two at the top, oe are the 4 at the bottom.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2010, 23:27:58 »

Yes i have to give my wheels a good scrub every week or it starts to burn into the alloy. only way round it is to paint your wheels a nice shade of black  :P

try paint protector polishes also for alloys, they do help..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2010, 23:30:03 »

Thanks Nige and Chris  :y
I try to keep my car looking presentable whenever possible, and the brake dust is becoming excessive. So I'll most likely get some OEM pads.
I do find the current pads don't bite that well, but for all I know they could be cheap one's on there. I'll have a look over the weekend at some point.
Thank you both for your imput.

You're right Cem...but it just seems that mine are a bit too excessive, a 20 miles drive can have the front wheels black with brake dust, even if the braking has only been moderate to light.

20 miles =30 kms nearly my daily commute.. yep.. mines get very lightly dusted for that distance..

tomoco

• Omega Knight
  • leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2010, 23:37:16 »

Thanks CEM i've never tried paint protectors on wheels before :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2010, 23:53:55 »

Even a coat of polish over clean wheels will make future cleaning much easier.  :y
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2010, 00:08:38 »

:y :y

ps:  dont wash your alloys when they are hot ( I did this mistake) they will turn to undertone..

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2010, 02:29:09 »

I've always used gen GM pads on mine, and as you say Josh - they do make a fair bit of dust.

Who's are those pads which don't have the chamford (sp) edges on them?  Same footprint, but a greater disk-pad contact area must be a benefit in the brake performance area?

I've been tempted to run some EBC Grenstuff or Redstuff Pads in my motor (used Redstuff in my Astra GSi, but they seemed almost dangerous when cold, never tried greenstuff) - but the redstuff gave next to no dust off, greenstuff perhaps worth a try?  I'm tempted by the redstuff, given the weight/inertia of the Omega to generate some heat, with obviously the shoebox Astra didn't have??  :-/  :-/

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2010, 02:31:44 »

Even a coat of polish over clean wheels will make future cleaning much easier.  :y

On that front BTW, I put a coat of Turtle Wax Ice on mine after I've washed them - the brake $h17e doesn't bak on as much then, so it's  just a quick rinse/sponge off job then.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.