Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a Thermostat problem!  (Read 1747 times)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Re: Got a Thermostat problem!
« Reply #15 on: 08 March 2007, 20:14:19 »

I guess you spotted the taletell signs of a thermostat stuck open (or not one there in your case  :o ) :y

And for anyone else reading who's not sure......taking a long time to warm up and temp dropping down to 70-75ish or less when on a run.....is a good sign thermostat is stuck open  :y

Yes James....a working stat will definately help your mpg  :y

hmm, mine takes quite some time to warm up, and then on a run cools down quite stubstantially - also heaters dont ever get really hot and when i changed the plugs the other day drivers side were a little carbonised - you reckon I've got a knackered thermostat, and how easy is it on a V6, or is it just not?!

cheers, chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 08 March 2007, 21:58:39 »

I guess you spotted the taletell signs of a thermostat stuck open (or not one there in your case  :o ) :y

And for anyone else reading who's not sure......taking a long time to warm up and temp dropping down to 70-75ish or less when on a run.....is a good sign thermostat is stuck open  :y

Yes James....a working stat will definately help your mpg  :y

hmm, mine takes quite some time to warm up, and then on a run cools down quite stubstantially - also heaters dont ever get really hot and when i changed the plugs the other day drivers side were a little carbonised - you reckon I've got a knackered thermostat, and how easy is it on a V6, or is it just not?!

cheers, chris.

Hi Chris...

How cold does it go when your on a run.....doing say 50+ ....imo really if the temp goes below 75-80 on a V6.....(v6's tend to run hotter than 4 potters) then i would say stat is stuck open.....esp if it takes a long time to warm up to norm op temp...90ish for v6's.....85ish for 4 potters

I always judge by......get the car upto temp.....either let it idle or drive it around doing town work....gauge should be in the middle between red and blue.....usualy 85-90......then take it on a blast.....guage shouldnt really drop down much.....if it sails down to the blue zone.....70-75ish....then its a sure sign stat is stuck open....

Sorry dont how hard it is to change on a v6  :( ....it seems common......ive changed the stat on my veccyB and veccyC...havent needed to do it on meega yet......its not just a vx thang.....ive changed the stat on my merc as well.....an unwell stat on my merc diesel.....made it do about 20mpg  :( (but that had the effect diesel cabin heater never turned off!)

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 March 2007, 22:52:06 »

Chris ...

JamesV6CDX will be able to tell you well about the stat replacement on V6's as he's recently changed MaxV6's - but the stat sits in the 'V' of the block:

- it's at the bottom of that pic (the oil cooler is above it) - so you need to remove the plenum and inlet manifold to get to it, plus disconnect the coolant transfer pipe from the main hose on the nearside of the block and remove the transfer pipe, apparently an 8mm spanner is good for the torx bolt on that. The stat and housing come as one part, there are sealing rings between that and the block (P/N 9128363) and two on the transfer pipe (P/N 90410899 to engine no. 14393646, P/N 9129999 from engine no. 14393647 onwards)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 March 2007, 23:12:41 »

Cheers guys, it does drop down low on a blast, I assumed this was because of the air rush cooling the engine - sounds like its actually just knackered!

Seems as tho the oil cooler might be a good idea while I'm there..
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.