Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self driving cars  (Read 2266 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Self driving cars
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2023, 13:06:43 »

So what about overtaking?

Can they do it or are they just going to form a neat train behind say a tractor or dawdler to make it impossible for a conventional car?
Just accept that it's not going to work in real world situations unless every vehicle is in touch with every other vehicle.
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2023, 13:31:44 »

So what about overtaking?

Can they do it or are they just going to form a neat train behind say a tractor or dawdler to make it impossible for a conventional car?
Just accept that it's not going to work in real world situations unless every vehicle is in touch with every other vehicle.

And that is tech that is also rolling out, V2X (or Vehicle to anything) communication, using 5G cellular tech (on a different band) or Wifi (DSRC as on the newest Golf..........but this tech is already pretty dead)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2023, 14:34:52 »

I mean every other vehicle. From 10 year old cars and vans, to motorbikes, tractors and even pushbikes. Any rogue vehicle has the opportunity to cause an accident.
The only alternative to this is to have every yard of every street mapped out and made available to any vehicle equipped to accept that information. IMO, we're still a long way off.....thank god.
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2023, 14:49:53 »

I mean every other vehicle. From 10 year old cars and vans, to motorbikes, tractors and even pushbikes. Any rogue vehicle has the opportunity to cause an accident.
The only alternative to this is to have every yard of every street mapped out and made available to any vehicle equipped to accept that information. IMO, we're still a long way off.....thank god.

Indeed, but it will happen faster than you think, as it does not require every vehicle or traffic item to be fitted with it.

What can happen is that a car scans its surroundings and identifies cars, tractors, lorries around it, it can work out the direction, acceleration and speed. This then gets shared with infrastructure and other cars and builds a picture for all equipped to see.  :y

V2X will be part of NCAP in a few years and will attract extra safety points

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2023, 15:40:41 »

Indeed, but it will happen faster than you think, as it does not require every vehicle or traffic item to be fitted with it.

What can happen is that a car scans its surroundings and identifies cars, tractors, lorries around it, it can work out the direction, acceleration and speed. This then gets shared with infrastructure and other cars and builds a picture for all equipped to see.  :y

V2X will be part of NCAP in a few years and will attract extra safety points
But the Oxford mob (other car haters are probably available) will still see it as evil/antisocial/not-their-idea-of-green/whatever, and will cry out that buses/trains make a far better solution, so there will be no need for this technology ;D
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 April 2023, 15:42:51 »

One of my cars has lane departure warning (lane keep assist), lane assist (vehicles in lanes on your nearside / offisde), all surround view (front, rear and side cameras), self parking, front and rear cross traffic warning (if you're nudging out of a parking bay and a car is approaching, adaptive cruise control (will bring the vehicle to a complete stop under normal braking as required) - the front rear cameras are useful when parking (the rear is great whenreversing up to a trailer as you can see when the hitch is over the towball), but the only one I use on the move is the variable adaptive cruise control in say 50 mph speed limits in variable speed limit sections on the motorway. Rest are a gimmicky in my opinion - nice to have, but would I use most of them - no. Probably down to trust. But I like to drive my cars, so as long as I'm fit and able, I like to be in complete control of my car. 
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 April 2023, 20:34:20 »

Tesla self drive cars in the USA have a problem apparently:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/feb/16/tesla-recall-full-self-driving-cars

I think there is still a lot of work to do before we have them in the UK ;)

Its marketed as self driving but, it isn't, its a level 2.5, at a push level 3 so is little more than adaptive cruise plus lane keep assist, some have the option to work under remote control to get them in/out of parking spots to.   :y

We do have prototypes in the UK running around, for me though, I buy a nice car because I like driving so the ADAS features are of little interest.

That I believe is the crucial factor for most of us, at least on OOF, as we do LOVE driving as then we remain independent, able to freely go (almost) where we want to, and just get out in the world, not trapped at home relying on public transport, heaven forbid! :o :o :D ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.