Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannister or Cartridge  (Read 4770 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Cannister or Cartridge
« on: 08 October 2013, 13:51:43 »

Will be changing oil/filter in the next few days on 2003..3.2 and was wondering if there was any benefit to the OEM cartridge oil filter on the F/L than the cannister on the M/F/L.

Have both available along with the spigot pipe for the conversion to cannister ,but curious what advantage there was between the 2..naturally assuming the metal casing hasn,t been fitted by "The Hulk" in which case the question becomes irrelivant >:(

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Cannister or Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2013, 14:07:10 »

The only advantage maybe that  the cartridge is easier to remove .I have all the necessary bits to use if and when the cannister is no longer serviceable. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2013, 14:07:49 »

Will be changing oil/filter in the next few days on 2003..3.2 and was wondering if there was any benefit to the OEM cartridge oil filter on the F/L than the cannister on the M/F/L.

My 1999 MFL has a paper filter. My view re the two filters is .... if it aint broke - don't fix it. I've never had a problem with the ally casing

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2013, 18:24:41 »

Either do the job, but IME the paper element type is less messy than the spin-on, and don't dump hot oil on delicate crank sensors.
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2013, 18:35:00 »

The cartridge oil filter only becomes a problem when some moron has tightened it too tight.  Usually tighter than the the hollow stud that holds the body to the engine block,  so when oil changing the cap is so tight the whole body moves.... then you can break sometimes removing. .... it is then a cheaper option to get the stud for around £15 to fit the cannister type oill filter
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2013, 18:43:01 »

Hi Daz. :y

Good to see you back around again with your "pearls of wisdom" ;D

Just curious if there was an advantage either way..as I have the canister type fitted I will see how it comes off and go from there..although I do have the backup of the oil pipe and conversion if it gets messy ;)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2013, 01:00:44 »

Just changed my oil again (only 4K!) it is a delight with the spin on compared to the cartridge I removed.  You shouldn't get hot oil by the time you've drained the sump .  Equally you should only get a few drips if you have waited for the sump to empty.  The spin on is easier to remove - strap rather than spanner. The spin on can be half primed with fresh oil and you won't spill it when fitting.  The spin on is less likely to leak, I've never had a spin on leak and my last cartridge leaked when done by National Disgrace. The spin on is much less likely to be over tightened and jam. The spin on is around half the price of the cartridge.  The spin on is much less messy, just chuck the old one, no messing with replacing the paper.  I suspect the spin on is a more effective filter. You cannot crush the paper when fitting a spin on unlike a cartridge.

Apart from that the cartridge is great.  I have on for sale ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2013, 09:18:37 »

You shouldn't get hot oil by the time you've drained the sump .  Equally you should only get a few drips if you have waited for the sump to empty.
Cobblers

The spin on is easier to remove
Cobblers

The spin on is less likely to leak,
Cobblers

I've never had a spin on leak and my last cartridge leaked when done by National Disgrace. The spin on is much less likely to be over tightened and jam.
No part is infallible from retards incorrectly fitting it

The spin on is around half the price of the cartridge.
About 2/3rds, agree it is cheaper

The spin on is much less messy, just chuck the old one, no messing with replacing the paper.
The paper element is definately less messy to replace

I suspect the spin on is a more effective filter. You cannot crush the paper when fitting a spin on unlike a cartridge.
I would actually say that I think the paper element type is more effective than the spin on.  Not quite sure how you can crush the paper element. But at least you can check the integrity of it before fitting.

Apart from that the cartridge is great.
I'm not fussed which is fitted. Both my Omegas have one of each. I have a slight preference to the paper element type, due to slightly less messy change, and the fact it doesn't soak the crank sensor in hot oil. But its not enough of an advantage to change the spin-on type - having them all the same is a stronger argument.

The Spin-on does have the advantage of being able to write on it the mileage and date of change (which caught out those lying retard bastards at Evans Halshaw in Milton Keynes ;D)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2013, 09:57:51 »

TB runs back to bed to see if he can't fall out of the correct side next time he wakes up ;D

So you don't rate Evans Halshaw then ::)

Have a spin on fitted to mine, I doesn't leak either, and hopefully I should be able to undo it by hand, as I fitted it myself :y Haven't changed it yet, so can't comment either way on the rest of it :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2013, 10:35:13 »

Interesting views and comments,as always. :)

I intend doing an oil change this weekend so will see how the cannister behaves when I attempt to undo it. ;)

If it is damaged/or requires me damaging it to remove it I will fit the spigot pipe and convert car to cannister type and be done with.

If cannister removes as designed and appears intact I will refit with the new paper element and refit to the correct torque and accept car will continue with that type fitted.

Really more curious about the advantages either way ,which you guys have given me ...Thanks again :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2013, 15:47:53 »

TB runs back to bed to see if he can't fall out of the correct side next time he wakes up ;D
Sorry, I bit, as I often do when somebody talks complete, unadulterated 'dangle berries'.  I am trying to fix that particular deficiency  :-[

There I offer no apologies. Useless, lying, retarded, breakless, wankstained retards. Thieves as well.  Though I feel sorry for the Service Manager's mum, who clearly slept with a retard.  100m sperm in that shag, and that was the quickest?
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2013, 15:52:58 »

Sorry, I bit, as I often do when somebody talks complete, unadulterated 'dangle berries'.  I am trying to fix that particular deficiency  :-[

There I offer no apologies. Useless, lying, retarded, breakless, wankstained retards. Thieves as well.  Though I feel sorry for the Service Manager's mum, who clearly slept with a retard.  100m sperm in that shag, and that was the quickest?
[/highlight][/[/highlight]quote]

That bad, huh. ;D ;D ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2013, 16:22:19 »

That bad, huh. ;D ;D ;)

I think it's luck of the draw with all car dealers (NB. not just VX). I'm lucky enough to have two dealerships parts departments I use that I find very good - Lookers Yardley (Previously Elt Bros) and Bayliss Worcester. Both accept TC and both always helpful and happy to order in parts - Bayliss don't even ask me to pay or leave a deposit now - just pay on collection.  :y
« Last Edit: 12 October 2013, 16:24:07 by VXL V6 »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2013, 10:35:56 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2013, 22:08:39 »

Canister is not problematic once it's been undone by the owner and re fitted correctly. Then sensible oil change intervals are adopted. Problem seems to be when vx recommend 20k service interval, and vx techs over tighten them/refit them to the previously glued on tightness. By 20k the oil has cooked in the canister threads and glued the cap on. It doesn't require any special tools either.

There was a member on here not long ago reported his paper cartridge had been fitted arse backwards. So maybe that's an advantage the morons of this world will find in the spin on jobs.

I've had a few cartridges with bad threads that would not fit. Correct part. Wouldn't go on. Sigh....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.