Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannister or Cartridge  (Read 4770 times)

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
Re: Cannister or Cartridge
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2013, 00:41:38 »

You shouldn't get hot oil by the time you've drained the sump .  Equally you should only get a few drips if you have waited for the sump to empty.
Cobblers
I thought I was quite restrained in my original answer but obviously I wasn't clear enough.  Only an idiot would remove the filter before draining the sump, letting the filter drain, and so letting the oil cool

The spin on is easier to remove
Cobblers
Anyone who thinks about it let alone does it will know a spin on is easier to remove than a cartridge.

The spin on is less likely to leak,
Cobblers
Well I've never had a spin on leak, yet a cartridge has.

I've never had a spin on leak and my last cartridge leaked when done by National Disgrace. The spin on is much less likely to be over tightened and jam.
No part is infallible from retards incorrectly fitting it
Its is almost impossive to screw up fitting a spin on

The spin on is around half the price of the cartridge.
About 2/3rds, agree it is cheaper
Just bought one for £1.86 delivered and inc VAT.  What are you paying for the cartridges in trade club?

The spin on is much less messy, just chuck the old one, no messing with replacing the paper.
The paper element is definately less messy to replace
of course it's not, just think about it.  Spin on - unspin and chuck.  Cartridge - unbolt, remove oil soaked paper element, clean out inside, insert new paper element bolt back on without crushing the paper element.

I suspect the spin on is a more effective filter. You cannot crush the paper when fitting a spin on unlike a cartridge.
I would actually say that I think the paper element type is more effective than the spin on.  Not quite sure how you can crush the paper element. But at least you can check the integrity of it before fitting.
There is at least one example on this forum of a paper element being crushed. Have you every bought a crushed spin on?

Apart from that the cartridge is great.
I'm not fussed which is fitted. Both my Omegas have one of each. I have a slight preference to the paper element type, due to slightly less messy change, and the fact it doesn't soak the crank sensor in hot oil. But its not enough of an advantage to change the spin-on type - having them all the same is a stronger argument.

The Spin-on does have the advantage of being able to write on it the mileage and date of change (which caught out those lying retard bastards at Evans Halshaw in Milton Keynes ;D)

You obviously are fussed.  I would think a forum admin would come back with better answers than cobblers though. Why do you think members change from cartridge back to spin on?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 00:44:57 by dbdb »

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 14 October 2013, 00:50:32 »

Because of rubbish post like your dbdb.
Bad advice IMO. There isn't enough of a difference to warrant messing about with it. Yet your telling somebody who has both as a direct comparison, that one is better than the other.

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2013, 01:01:22 »

Bad advice IMO. There isn't enough of a difference to warrant messing about with it. Yet your telling somebody who has both as a direct comparison, that one is better than the other.
Oh dear.  I don't talk out my a**e and present it as gospel like a very few here often do, in my experience.  I quote from my own experience and I explain why I think something.  I don't just say cobblers or rubbish.  I have had experience of 2 cartridges and 2 spins on with migs.  My first had a spin on then a new engine with a cartridge, my second had a cartridge and I changed it back to spin on.

But while I'm at it there are a handful of t*****s on here, 3 that I know of, who love the sound of their own posts and will never entertain any different views.  You are one, guess the other two.  They will probably reply shortly.  It's a shame because it puts new forum members off and makes OOF cliquey. This forum should be for exchanging experiences not shouting people down with 'cobblers' or 'rubbish'.  And did I mention deleting posts without telling the poster?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 01:05:00 by dbdb »

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2013, 08:00:33 »

Oh dear.  I don't talk out my a**e and present it as gospel like a very few here often do, in my experience.  I quote from my own experience and I explain why I think something.  I don't just say cobblers or rubbish.  I have had experience of 2 cartridges and 2 spins on with migs.  My first had a spin on then a new engine with a cartridge, my second had a cartridge and I changed it back to spin on.

But while I'm at it there are a handful of t*****s on here, 3 that I know of, who love the sound of their own posts and will never entertain any different views.  You are one, guess the other two.  They will probably reply shortly.  It's a shame because it puts new forum members off and makes OOF cliquey. This forum should be for exchanging experiences not shouting people down with 'cobblers' or 'rubbish'.  And did I mention deleting posts without telling the poster?

Rubbish, and as always, argumentative ;D I know who the other two are, and  both of them are you ;D

And yes I saw that post deleted. No surprise what so ever. ;D you know better than that dbdb. ;D
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 08:15:49 by chrisgixer »

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 14 October 2013, 08:40:32 »

Somebody call ::)

Fwiw, I changed my cartridge filter simply because I got fed up trying to keep a socket on it long enough to undo it. Neither of them leak, but I cant speak for the rest of the engine ::) have yet to change the spin on one but expect to get a sleeveful of oil in the process ;D

Btw don't be so soft... TBs second post acknowledged the tone of his first :y

And now... Over to our correspondent in Ankara...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 October 2013, 17:47:51 »

I've had a few cartridges with bad threads that would not fit. Correct part. Wouldn't go on. Sigh....
Last one I did on the MV6 was like that. Luckily, I had another, as the removal tool had distorted the one I took off, so I couldn't have reused it :(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 October 2013, 18:25:25 »

You shouldn't get hot oil by the time you've drained the sump .  Equally you should only get a few drips if you have waited for the sump to empty.
Cobblers
I thought I was quite restrained in my original answer but obviously I wasn't clear enough.  Only an idiot would remove the filter before draining the sump, letting the filter drain, and so letting the oil cool
As the sump level is far lower than the filter, draining the sump will not affect the amount of oil held in the filter

The spin on is easier to remove
Cobblers
Anyone who thinks about it let alone does it will know a spin on is easier to remove than a cartridge.
Why? I disagree. I guess on your definition of "easier". But my definition is ease of doing the task.

The spin on is less likely to leak,
Cobblers
Well I've never had a spin on leak, yet a cartridge has.
Yet to see a cartridge leak. Seen a few spin on leak. Including one all over Marks DTM's driveway ::). I've started to avoid those ones which come in yellow boxes (Mann?), as I've had a couple of them leak (but on Rovers)

I've never had a spin on leak and my last cartridge leaked when done by National Disgrace. The spin on is much less likely to be over tightened and jam.
No part is infallible from retards incorrectly fitting it
Its is almost impossive to screw up fitting a spin on
Its bloody difficult to screw up any filter. Yet some manage it. As said, no part, no matter what, is infallible from retards fitting it.

The spin on is around half the price of the cartridge.
About 2/3rds, agree it is cheaper
Just bought one for £1.86 delivered and inc VAT.  What are you paying for the cartridges in trade club?
Tradeclub website is down currently. However, back in June I bought a half box of each type, vof93 was £1.50, and cartridge was £2.10.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 October 2013, 18:25:35 »

The spin on is much less messy, just chuck the old one, no messing with replacing the paper.
The paper element is definately less messy to replace
of course it's not, just think about it.  Spin on - unspin and chuck.  Cartridge - unbolt, remove oil soaked paper element, clean out inside, insert new paper element bolt back on without crushing the paper element.
Cartridge, unbolt slightly, let drain, unbolt fully, remove cap withdrawing filter with cap. Replace o ring on cap. Yes, a whole 5 seconds longer. WOW!

As to crushing paper element, its simply not possible if fitted correctly. And its not hard to get it right, it will only fit one way.

*If* the element is damaged during manufacture, at least you can visually see it. For spin on, you can't see. I'd like to think they are all good, though.

I suspect the spin on is a more effective filter. You cannot crush the paper when fitting a spin on unlike a cartridge.
I would actually say that I think the paper element type is more effective than the spin on.  Not quite sure how you can crush the paper element. But at least you can check the integrity of it before fitting.
There is at least one example on this forum of a paper element being crushed. Have you every bought a crushed spin on?
No, but I've had plenty of otherwise faulty ones, both GM and pattern. Yet to have a faulty cartridge type. There's still time, though.

Apart from that the cartridge is great.
I'm not fussed which is fitted. Both my Omegas have one of each. I have a slight preference to the paper element type, due to slightly less messy change, and the fact it doesn't soak the crank sensor in hot oil. But its not enough of an advantage to change the spin-on type - having them all the same is a stronger argument.

The Spin-on does have the advantage of being able to write on it the mileage and date of change (which caught out those lying retard bastards at Evans Halshaw in Milton Keynes ;D)

You obviously are fussed.  I would think a forum admin would come back with better answers than cobblers though. Why do you think members change from cartridge back to spin on?
If I was fussed, don't you think I would have modified one (or other) of the cars, as I have 2 Omegas, which take both filter types.

You got the answers you did, as you've been preaching this 'dangle berries' at every opportunity. If people are happier or more comfortable with one type or other, thats fine. For the most part, I couldn't give a rats arse what you or other people do to their cars. But to falsely scare people into thinking they need to change it is wrong IMHO.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 October 2013, 18:32:53 »

Oh really ;D

And why do you think I deleted your posts? For fun? For some kind of massive ego trip? No, I deleted them BECAUSE YOU BROKE THE RULES. I'm sorry you find that so hard to deal with. But get over it.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #24 on: 14 October 2013, 22:25:24 »

Oh really ;D

And why do you think I deleted your posts? For fun? For some kind of massive ego trip? No, I deleted them BECAUSE YOU BROKE THE RULES. I'm sorry you find that so hard to deal with. But get over it.

Argumentative nightwatchman  - easter egg ;) ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 October 2013, 22:49:32 »

Since I have both, canisters on both 2.2's & cartridges on the V6s...

Neither have leaked. Although I have seen some slight evidence on my 2.2, it's very small could be dirt. Never seen it go down on the dip stick. Could be slight weeping.

On the cartridges, with a lightly greased rubber gasket, nipped up. (No room for torque wrench) They have never once leaked, nor displayed any signs.

The crushed paper element, as I recall had done stupid miles, no doubt a spin on would be in similar condition if visible.

2.2's are easier to change given location, V6s are in a less easy location  ::)

Given where they are though, the paper one works well. I've never felt the need to convert it to a spin on. As it is, the ratchets only get a couple of clicks when releasing, I think a spin on tool remover would make things even worse.

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 14 October 2013, 22:51:55 »

A properly fitted spin on needs no tools to undo :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 October 2013, 22:55:53 »

Sorry I asked the question as it has caused a "heated debate"

For my own experience the cartridge top came off without any issues and replacing the element was a simple process.I have decided to retain the original fit filter the car was made with as it gave me no complications replacing it.

Will keep the spigot pipe and couple of spin on filters in stock just incaes things get difficult intime

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2013, 22:56:14 »

Never been able to do it without a tool on my 2.2

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2013, 22:59:23 »

Never been able to do it without a tool on my 2.2

Weetabix ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.