Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What damage done?  (Read 9474 times)

takemineanywhere

• swindon uk
    • 2000 omega2.5td cdx
    • View Profile
What damage done?
« on: 20 October 2013, 18:49:40 »

after trying to drive through a flooded road.water just below the door.Stalled halfway through. Would not resrart.Flattened battery trying.RAC wouldn't come until car was out of the water!!!!Bugger.After concil/waterboard cleared the burst main RAC came & found water in the airfilter pipe to the manifold.
     Understandably he didn,t try to start the car but towed me to my local mechanic whose going to have look tomorrow.He said i might be lucky or might  not.
     So,what should i expect?.......Cars a2.5TD..... I thought tractors could go anywhere.    Cheers.
2000 2.5td cdx        1985 bmwr80rt

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: What damage done?
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2013, 18:55:26 »

If you have go a reasonable amount of water in the inlet, its likely its hydrauliced itself. This will end in bent conrods, as water doesn't compress too well  :'(

Also, water can get sucked up the exhaust as it stalls, which also fills the cylinders with water, same result.

Initially, I'd be popping out injectors, and turning over on starter for a couple of seconds (no longer) to clear any fluids from cylinders, then putting it all back together, bleeding, and trying.

Depends how much water it has ingested....
Grumpy old man

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2013, 19:35:47 »

Oh dear sounds as if water has got in the engine which is usually terminal,  :'( as TB has said it would have Hydrauliced. Did it turn over when you cranked it if so you might be lucky and the water has only got in electrics in some way.

takemineanywhere

• swindon uk
    • 2000 omega2.5td cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2013, 20:12:20 »

It did turn over a few times before battery went down.Not sure but there seemed to be vibration/ shaking from the gearbox area

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2013, 21:08:08 »

in a word lots!! intake for airfilter is halfway up the radiator at best, as said you have probably bent conrods hence the vibration,however fingers crossed it just stopped,but i think i would be looking for a replacement engine in the meantime

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2013, 21:11:04 »

tractors can go anywhere if air suction point below water level and there is no leak  :(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2013, 21:20:45 »

takemineanywhere, well obviously not ::) Sorry mate, couldn,t resist. Hope you sort it out soon. :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2013, 22:38:08 »

tractors can go anywhere if air suction point below water level and there is no leak  :(

above..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 October 2013, 08:10:10 »

If it was only door height, you must have been going some speed to create a bow wave big enough :o

I've certainly had my tractor in deeper puddles than above the bottom of the door - selected a low gear and kept revs as high as I could (it was an auto) and proceeded slowly on the way to the OOF Newent meet a few years back. This shoudl stop water entering inlet, and the revs stop it entering exhaust.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2013, 10:32:13 »

Easiest way to check would be to remove the air filter and see if it's damp, and if there is evidence of water in the ducts downstream of it.

The fact that it now doesn't start doesn't bode well, but that might just be because the air filter has got saturated and is blocking intake air.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

takemineanywhere

• swindon uk
    • 2000 omega2.5td cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2013, 21:00:50 »

no  was goiing very slow.i cant understand how it got in the air intake.RAC man took off pipe after airfilter & saw water going through.Working todaylate  so not seen my man.Will know more tomorrow.Will let u know.Remember its a weak battery so it didnt turn over very long.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2013, 12:41:22 »

Given that the air intake is only half way up the radiator and in front of it, you don't need much of a bow wave in front of you before it's submerged!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

takemineanywhere

• swindon uk
    • 2000 omega2.5td cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2013, 17:43:37 »

. its the worst diagnosis.Theres water evertwhere even in the pump.Looks like the end of her.Shame i loved that car.In the 3 years ive had it i trie to get it uptogether .(new tires,shocks,discs/pads,bushes front & rear,exhaust,
rackrods)
    So what can i do now?Will insurance give me anything?Or does anyone have adecent TD engine.Idont have any where to break it.what should i take off to recoup  some money if i scrap it.   Thanks for your help.

s

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2013, 17:54:46 »

Insurance will write it off, cost of garage changing engine plus sourcing one would be huge.

Best bet would be to DIY engine swap, been there done that on a very wet and rainy day on a 2.5 TD.

Little tip if you do, get it high enough to take the gearbox & engine out together. Also put it back together as one  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2013, 17:56:19 »

Reason why? I remember being sent to a very wet ground,, to get the bloody gearbox and engine to line up and bolt them together.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.