Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What damage done?  (Read 9470 times)

albitz

Re: What damage done?
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2013, 18:07:46 »

Agreed. If you love the car,source another engine, and fit it yourself. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2013, 18:15:43 »

Reason why? I remember being sent to a very wet ground,, to get the bloody gearbox and engine to line up and bolt them together.
The morning was nice and sunny :P. As was the day LFF64 and I took it out again, and put the original back in.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2013, 18:36:11 »

Drop the full fat lump in it :y that's begging to become a 2.5dti...

takemineanywhere

• swindon uk
    • 2000 omega2.5td cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2013, 22:35:24 »

bin down the pub drowning my sorrows.What is this full fat job? Tax end  the month so just aweek to decide
2000 2.5td cdx        1985 bmwr80rt

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2013, 22:58:58 »

BMW engine was detuned when it was installed in the Omega.

Same engine was used in BMW and Range Rover with different ECU chip for different power output.

Fitting a different ECU chip can be done at any time, first task is to find a good Omega/BMW/Range Rover 2.5 TD

I assume ex taxi al is referring to a later BMW engine that never got fitted to the Omega but would just drop straight in. The problem would be what to do with the ECU, you would want to fit the donor ECU to get it to run at its best but you would probably have to overcome some electrical issues to get it working (immobiliser for example)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 October 2013, 23:28:25 »

Also, water can get sucked up the exhaust as it stalls, which also fills the cylinders with water, same result.

Sorry but this is just cobblers, or dangle berries, choose your preferred term.  Anyone with any understanding of the 4 stroke cycle will know that an engine will not suck up its exhaust.  I know it's an esteemed admin saying it but sometimes you just have to speak up when someone talks out of their exhaust.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 October 2013, 23:29:19 »

Also, water can get sucked up the exhaust as it stalls, which also fills the cylinders with water, same result.

Sorry but this is just cobblers, or dangle berries, choose your preferred term.  Anyone with any understanding of the 4 stroke cycle will know that an engine will not suck up its exhaust.  I know its an esteemed admin saying it but sometimes you just have to speak up when someone talks out of their exhaust.

Never heard of back pressure then?  :-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 October 2013, 00:06:18 »

Sorry but this is just cobblers, or dangle berries, choose your preferred term.  Anyone with any understanding of the 4 stroke cycle will know that an engine will not suck up its exhaust.  I know its an esteemed admin saying it but sometimes you just have to speak up when someone talks out of their exhaust.

Sure have.  Have you?

pressure
ˈprɛʃə/
noun
noun: pressure

continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.
    "the gate was buckling under the pressure of the crowd outside"

suction
ˈsʌkʃ(ə)n/
noun
noun: suction

the production of a partial vacuum by the removal of air in order to force fluid into a vacant space or procure adhesion.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 25 October 2013, 00:08:10 »

BMW engine was detuned when it was installed in the Omega.

Same engine was used in BMW and Range Rover with different ECU chip for different power output.

Fitting a different ECU chip can be done at any time, first task is to find a good Omega/BMW/Range Rover 2.5 TD

I assume ex taxi al is referring to a later BMW engine that never got fitted to the Omega but would just drop straight in. The problem would be what to do with the ECU, you would want to fit the donor ECU to get it to run at its best but you would probably have to overcome some electrical issues to get it working (immobiliser for example)
That's an option, for sure :y

I was actually refering to the running gear from...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Opel-Omega-Caravan-2-5-DTI-Edition-AHK-NAVI-ALU-/350895026762?pt=Automobile&hash=item51b2f9324a

150bhp :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 October 2013, 00:09:10 »

Normal running its not going to suck in, but as it stalls it would. Seen it a few times here, during the floods.

Few cars have bought it this way  :'(

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 25 October 2013, 00:12:25 »

When the airfilter clogs, it stands to reason that some of the exhaust gasses will be drawn back into the lower pressure caused by piston downstrokes.

Whilst this is unlikely to draw water all the way along the exhaust, it does significantly reduce the pressure within the exhaust :y

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 October 2013, 00:12:41 »

Normal running its not going to suck in, but as it stalls it would. Seen it a few times here, during the floods.

Few cars have bought it this way  :'(

Perhaps you can explain the mechanics of how that works then.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 October 2013, 00:13:20 »

Sure have.  Have you?

pressure
ˈprɛʃə/
noun

continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it.

suction
ˈsʌkʃ(ə)n/
noun

the production of a partial vacuum by the removal of air in order to force fluid into a vacant space or procure adhesion.

I canz uze Google.

Gold Star!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 October 2013, 00:14:11 »

When the airfilter clogs, it stands to reason that some of the exhaust gasses will be drawn back into the lower pressure caused by piston downstrokes.

Whilst this is unlikely to draw water all the way along the exhaust, it does significantly reduce the pressure within the exhaust :y
There's that word again.  'Pressure', 'reduced pressure', neither is going to suck up water.  There is some dangle berries talked on this forum.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2013, 00:16:39 by dbdb »

dbdb

• west london
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2013, 00:15:57 »

Sure have.  Have you?

pressure
ˈprɛʃə/
noun

suction
ˈsʌkʃ(ə)n/
noun

I canz uze Google.

Gold Star!

Now you're just being silly.  Those are dictionary definitions.  I didn't write a dictionary, I use one.  How about you explain the exhaust sucking instead of being petty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.