Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Oil message on display - FL Desmond  (Read 2737 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
Low Oil message on display - FL Desmond
« on: 26 October 2016, 19:18:33 »

Hi all,

Had a call from my dad today. 

He had a message on the central display "Check Oil Level" or something like that.  The Oil when I checked it was bang on the money a few weeks ago when I did the Rocker cover gaskets, and he checked it short time ago (last week) when he was checking other fluids and was OK.

He said the red oil can light on the dash did not complain so was not unduely worried  :D

I have asked him to check it on the morning when all cooled down, but assuming all is well, is there a level sensor which is suspect or are there any other suspects to look at ?

Thanks in advance.

Car is a Y Plate 2.2 CD Auto Facelift - 80k miles on clock, and runs sweet.

Andy. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Low Oil message on display - FL Desmond
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2016, 19:27:53 »

I don't know what the average oil consumption is (but others will, I'm sure), but I get that warning about once a month when the level is at the half-way mark on the dipstick, so 1/2 litre down.
I do about 4-5 k miles per year these days on an engine with 140k miles to its credit.
Serek did the cam covers about a year ago, so I no longer chuck oil on the road, it's all consumed by the engine.

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2016, 19:34:18 »

I was always told to check oil level with engine cold,however the "modern"way seems to be to run engine up to temperature,switch off and leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then check level.How much difference this makes to the reading I don't know.But could this be why he's getting the warning?

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2016, 19:37:42 »

I don't know what the average oil consumption is (but others will, I'm sure), but I get that warning about once a month when the level is at the half-way mark on the dipstick, so 1/2 litre down.
I do about 4-5 k miles per year these days on an engine with 140k miles to its credit.
Serek did the cam covers about a year ago, so I no longer chuck oil on the road, it's all consumed by the engine.

Ron.

I am not aware of it using oil, as I always check it for him every few months. 1/2 Litre every 400 to 500 miles sounds a lot to me, but I to don't know typical oil consumption (I have the 2.5 V6 which just seems to stay on the same mark and not move, but she only does 1000 miles a year  ;))

A check in the morning may shine some light  :y

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2016, 19:42:17 »

I was always told to check oil level with engine cold,however the "modern"way seems to be to run engine up to temperature,switch off and leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then check level.How much difference this makes to the reading I don't know.But could this be why he's getting the warning?

I would expect the check level when engine cold to give the fullest oil level as all of the oil not completely settled (I may be wrong), so if bang on the mark when cold I would not expect a message when warm  :-\

As mentioned, will see that the scores on the doors are in the morning following a "Cold Dip" of the Stick  :o

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2016, 19:55:56 »

When i first got my Desmond i had the same thing, warning up, level checked all fine. Happened for a few weeks so had another oil change, all ok, no message. Have had oil changes at correct intervals and no messages since. How old is the oil in your Dads car? and as he does low miles it may need changing more frequently :-\

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2016, 20:04:41 »

When i first got my Desmond i had the same thing, warning up, level checked all fine. Happened for a few weeks so had another oil change, all ok, no message. Have had oil changes at correct intervals and no messages since. How old is the oil in your Dads car? and as he does low miles it may need changing more frequently :-\

Hmm, interesting.  She had an oil change about 14 months ago.  I did it for him and used the recommended Genuine GM 10/40 Semi and Genuine Oil Filter.

I recon she has done 3k miles since last change, 4k max.

Ironically, I was only threatening to give her another oil change as its been just over 12 months so maybe she is telling me something. ;D

Will check the levels tomorrow, and tell him to get another bottle of GM 10/40 Semi  :y :y

I think the capacity is less than 5 Litres on the Desmond ?  (my 2.5 V6 is 5.5 Litres I think as I always need more than one Bottle per service >:(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2016, 20:36:48 »

Yeah Andy, 4.5l capacity on the 2.2. Also, 3 to 4k in a year could make the oil sludgy, unless it,s frequent short trips, which might be as bad :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2016, 21:36:18 »

Yes, ronnyd, I can take a hint! My low annual mileage is due to retirement and no work travel. Trips are mixed: short shopping ones and some motorway runs, so you are perfectly correct, I DO need an oil change soon.
Pity Serek is nearly 70 miles away, it makes it somewhat uneconomic for an oil change, but I can't do it on my driveway and the road is on a bend. I suppose it will have to be Kwik-Fit! :(

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2016, 22:23:54 »

Yes, ronnyd, I can take a hint! My low annual mileage is due to retirement and no work travel. Trips are mixed: short shopping ones and some motorway runs, so you are perfectly correct, I DO need an oil change soon.
Pity Serek is nearly 70 miles away, it makes it somewhat uneconomic for an oil change, but I can't do it on my driveway and the road is on a bend. I suppose it will have to be Kwik-Fit! :(

Ron.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;D

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2016, 22:36:42 »

Yeah Andy, 4.5l capacity on the 2.2. Also, 3 to 4k in a year could make the oil sludgy, unless it,s frequent short trips, which might be as bad :-\

Oil change it is then I think  :y

I shall report anything back tomorrow when oil level checked  ;)

Thanks to all for advice.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2016, 19:04:05 »

:y UPDATE  :y

OK, my dad tells me a Cold Dip reveals oil just one mark from the max level (4 or 5 knotches I think in total on the scale between max and min I recall on the dipstick).

It's not that low really, but the message came on several miles into drive when all warmed up, and then again on way back at similar point.

I have instructed him to get a nice new GM Oil filter, some GM 10/40 Semi Synth Oil, Drain Plug washer and I shall do the oiley bit for him and change the oil  :y

Thanks all for advice.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2016, 01:26:57 »

On SWMBOs old Elite Estate the low oil warning would come on the same, one mark below max.  Never an issue, just an over sensitive sensor I suspect.  Never had it though on my old Elite saloon in the same circumstances.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2016, 18:44:01 »

On SWMBOs old Elite Estate the low oil warning would come on the same, one mark below max.  Never an issue, just an over sensitive sensor I suspect.  Never had it though on my old Elite saloon in the same circumstances.
:y Cheers, reassuring to know  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2016, 20:03:02 »

Mine's the same. Which makes it useless; I ignore it as I'm not going to add such a small amount of oil. Having ensured that the engine is oil-tight it doesn't need topping up between annual oil changes, when it gets a new filter and 5l of whatever 10w40 I've acquired.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.