Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Prudential v. Building Society  (Read 2281 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Prudential v. Building Society
« on: 20 January 2020, 08:16:05 »

My Mother didn't leave a will, but that was no problem as we tided up her affairs a few years ago.

However, on going through her effects we came across an two old insurance policies and an old building society account, none worth a lot of money.

Rang the Pru, they took a few details including the death certificate number, a few details from me and four days later I received two cheques.

Did the same with the building society which holds less money than the insurance and they've sent me 10 very complicated forms to fill in.

In addition they want my passport, driving licence and copies of household bills plus they are going to charge me a hefty admin. fee.

I should add, this particular building society closed all it's branches several years ago and went internet only.

Makes you wonder if our ebay admin. uses them ???

>:(
« Last Edit: 20 January 2020, 08:29:50 by The Pikey Pensioner »
I like red cars

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Prudential v. Building Society
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2020, 08:40:07 »

It didn't become part of Santander by any chance  ::)

Notwithstanding, some companies seem to relish making a difficult time as arduous and obnoxious as possible.

In this day and age the whole process should only take five minutes and possibly a phone call ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2020, 08:44:57 »

It didn't become part of Santander by any chance  ::)

Notwithstanding, some companies seem to relish making a difficult time as arduous and obnoxious as possible.

In this day and age the whole process should only take five minutes and possibly a phone call ???

Birmingham Midshires.
I like red cars

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2020, 09:30:48 »

When I went through this last year I found NS&I the most difficult to deal with.
Santander couldnt have been more helpful to me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2020, 09:46:04 »

I only mentioned Santander as they seem to have swallowed up most of the Building Societies rather than any particular experience  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2020, 09:47:41 »

I had a similar issue with my Dads affairs after he passed,Barclays were a pain in the ass over it,lots of nit picking >:(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2020, 10:47:29 »

We had the same recently.

Went into LLoyds, and they wanted to see original death certificates, the will, grant of probate, passports for the executors, inside leg measurements etc, etc.

Walked down the road to Nationwide, and they basically said "Yep there is £40K in the accounts and who do you want the cheque made payable to?"

Also found an old Prudential life assurance policy - taken out in 1929. It was basically a 1d (one old penny) a week policy to pay burial expenses up to £5 if the child died before the age of 5, and £10 if the child died before the age of 10. It didn't say what happened after the age of 10. The insured died at almost 91. We found the policy in the biscuit tin which stored all the important documents, and decided to ring the Pru before shredding it. Turns out the policy was still active, and now worth £1300! The lady at the Pru said they have a special vault full of thousands of the things, but since most people have lost/thrown away the policy document the money goes unpaid.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2020, 11:10:34 »

I have thought about these things, with regards to myself. I've tried to make it as simple as possible for wifey if/when the inevitable happens. Joint current accounts, joint savings accounts, etc, so that it's simply a case of making my name disappear  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2020, 13:54:25 »

My plan is very simple. I have no money to leave anyone and left instructions for no funeral. Send my carcass to be burnt, and if anyone wants to do anything with the ashes, they are welcome to them. Don't see the need for all the fuss.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2020, 13:55:21 »

I have thought about these things, with regards to myself. I've tried to make it as simple as possible for wifey if/when the inevitable happens. Joint current accounts, joint savings accounts, etc, so that it's simply a case of making my name disappear  ;D

She'll still need the death certificate, forms, all that gubbins.. surely the way to make it easiest is to make sure you divorce her several years before your death, leaving her everything in the divorce? No inheritance tax that way, either  :P

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2020, 14:43:52 »

She'll still need the death certificate, forms, all that gubbins.. surely the way to make it easiest is to make sure you divorce her several years before your death, leaving her everything in the divorce? No inheritance tax that way, either and spend every penny of your money on wine ,women and song  :P
FTFY  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2020, 16:15:41 »

You may outlive her.

And when she is gone you can shack up with a 17 year old nubile. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2020, 16:18:12 »

........perhaps a pair of identical twins......or triplets. :)

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2020, 16:46:34 »

You may outlive her.

And when she is gone you can shack up with a 17 year old nubile. :)
I might out live her, but can't really see how. If that happened, then almost everything would go to sonny boy. His need is greater than mine.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2020, 19:39:17 »

I have had nothing but problems with the Pru after my mothers passing. In fact, anything to do with LLoyds banking group, which the Pru is part of
The Pru insisted in us having probate even after the probate service themselves told us we did not need it. I told the Pru that I shall take out proceedings against them for the probate fee. They didnt like that
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.