Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Massive MOT failure - goodbye Omega?  (Read 4104 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Massive MOT failure - goodbye Omega?
« on: 28 September 2020, 01:29:56 »

Broken spring, brake pipe corrosion, sills corroded and wishbone joints knackered to name but a few things! If I could display a JPEG image of the certificate, I would, but I don't know how. I've only done 5,000 miles on those ATP wishbones....waiting for TB to sneer and say "I told you so"!

Ron. :( :( :(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Massive MOT failure - goodbye Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2020, 02:25:01 »

oh dear , what's the registration number so we can advise  :-\
or PM me the reg number it and i'll copy and paste the MOT list from the MOT database  ;)
did they give you a price ?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2020, 07:01:55 »

Doesnt sound good Ron although the cost of repairing the devil you know needs to be compared with the devil you dont know, if you buy something else.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2020, 07:29:57 »

Dave, the Reg. No. is AV51GYP.
Albs, you are probably right, but the tester said that the corrosion will only get worse for next year and  I could maybe only get another year's motoring for all that money - he never gave a fiugiure.
The emissions test that I was so wooried about it sailed through! 

Ron.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2020, 07:56:54 »

Repair immediately (major defects):

Offside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
    Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    Offside Rear Brake hose ferrule excessively corroded (1.1.12 (f) (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Offside Front Headlamp lens slightly defective (4.1.1 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

oil leak
    undertrays + sill covers fitted
    Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
    Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
    general corrosion underside of vehicle inc sills,springs,schocks + arms
    Rear Service brake fluctuating, but not excessively (1.2.1 (e))
    Rear Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (1.2.1 (b) (i))

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2020, 08:14:47 »

My sympathy, Bigron. With that history of earlier passes with no advisories, you must be in shock. I don't like the sound of general underfloor corrosion, either. I wish you luck finding a rust free cheap Omega on e-bay these days, too.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2020, 08:34:01 »

The question to ask is. It passed last year. No advisory. So in 12mths have the fairies been underneath your car breaking bits.. go and have a chat with Serek, before you dispose of the car.
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2020, 08:43:07 »

Without seeing the underside of the car to assess the general corrosion bit the most worrying part for me would be the sill corrosion as I have no facilities for welding.The rest is pretty straightforward and not overly expensive to sort.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2020, 08:56:06 »

Ron, sorry to hear this , but that seems a bloody long list of deteriation in a year , bearing in mind the previous almost faultless MOT's  :o :o

Is it the same garage /tester as last year  ? 

Fail issues are at only 2 main areas . O/S rear spring and brake pipe area and O/S front wishbone and brake pipe/hose area. And of course  headlight issue.
 Not a lot of work for an able bodied competent home mechanic to get another year out of the car, but without being rude to you ,health wise, probably impossible for you to carry out yourself.  :-\ :-\

So getting a garage to do even the essential issues is going to be quite a bit.  :'( :'(
Then there is the list of advisories to look at in the longer term. 

As Bigriff says  a chat with serek may be the next step before you condem the car   ;)

« Last Edit: 28 September 2020, 09:00:03 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2020, 08:57:38 »

The areas of failure shouldnt work out too pricey to fix and that way you have another years motoring and the time to assess if the other points are beyond economical repair then go from there.

TBH I had a similar situation,as I think we will all start having now given the youngest Omega is almost 18 so  corrosion etc will start to take their hold.

Cost of a old banger will be more than the failure repairs ,but does need a clear mind as to best course of action and all our individual car needs differ

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2020, 09:46:07 »

That hasn't failed on corrosion though.
The whole list is typical of a thorough, conscientious tester who puts down everything he sees, that many wouldn't. That 'general corrosion' comment is something I would expect to get on any 20 year old car. Same applies to the sill covers - he's not allowed to to remove them to inspect behind. The 'greased brake pipes' is something I would always put as an advisory(if testing cars) because it also means you can't inspect them properly. It requires another look for you to make an informed decision.

Your actual problems are: the broken spring -£50 in parts and some work;  the brake pipes -£10 of pipe and fittings, £20 for the hose  plus some work; the wishbone fault - another £15 part and an hour's work; and 10 minutes polishing the headlight lenses with your favourite coarse polish. Your low mileage is probably the cause of the handbrake advisory - adjusting it is part of the brake job.

That's an expensive list for a garage to do(and they're also going to charge you more for the parts) but one that a day's DIY should sort.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2020, 12:37:04 »

So it wants a spring, a bottom ball joint and some brake pipes.

Not that big a failure by any means

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2020, 18:13:02 »

Some encouraging comments, gents, for which I  thank you. However, as has been noted, my health/mobility issues won't allow me to do much more than polish the headlamp lens, and just recently I have gained an additional problem – my eyes have blurred vision and floaters, making it unsafe for me to drive (I'm waiting for my GP to refer me to hospital) and most certainly wouldn't be able to drive to Serek's. I only justt made the 12 mile journey to the tesst station – same garage as last year.

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2020, 18:26:38 »

After reading the list I gulped for you and shook my head Bigron.

However, after reading the comments from those who know I think it is worth the expense (if the funds are available) and effort to put everything right.  Your Omega is worth saving, as what are the costs for buying anything equal to it?

Mine had "advisories" with the MOT of two years ago faulting corroded front brake pipes.  After gaining advice on here I got underneath the car, cleaned ALL the pipes for their entire lengths, sprayed with a protective coat of Supertrol everywhere, and I even attended to some small areas of rust on the underside (not faulted though).

With the last MOT, at the Vx dealership I use not the one that had given me the previous advisories, it sailed through with no advisories!

So I reckon Ron get the wire brush and Supertrol, or similar, out get underneath the whole car and go from front to back cleaning and protecting.  Take up the advise of other to get the other jobs done (Serek is certainly my highly recommended choice after he d id my front wishbones, plus a lot more) and get the car MOT'd at a different garage that preferably know you and your car :D ;)

SORRY RON, JUST SEEN YOUR LAST POST!!!   NO, YOU CANNOT DRIVE WITH THOSE EYES CONDITIONS.

Have you got any friends or family who can drive the car to a local garage? :( :( :(
« Last Edit: 28 September 2020, 18:29:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2020, 18:29:02 »

NOT as bad as I was expecting  :)
 I expect that's about £500 worth to sort the brake pipes,spring ,suspension and polish the lights including VAT at garage prices to get a pass (not including the advisories )
probably well worth doing for another years motoring in a decent car you are comfortable in  ;)
if you get rid and try and find something else the spending goes right up ,you have to get used to driving another car,
insuring another car costs more, then you will probably find niggles with the replacement car ,more expense ,unless you buy something retail ££

i'd ask what the MOT station want money wise to get a pass, also worth shopping round a bit ,phone Serek etc as others have said

Some encouraging comments, gents, for which I  thank you. However, as has been noted, my health/mobility issues won't allow me to do much more than polish the headlamp lens, and just recently I have gained an additional problem – my eyes have blurred vision and floaters, making it unsafe for me to drive (I'm waiting for my GP to refer me to hospital) and most certainly wouldn't be able to drive to Serek's. I only justt made the 12 mile journey to the tesst station – same garage as last year.

Ron.
sorry to hear that Ron  :(
sounds like its time for you to stop driving then .
that being the case ,you could offer it for sale ,people can look at the fail sheet,
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.