Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Flightradar24  (Read 4546 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Flightradar24
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2021, 07:22:46 »

I have been using Freedar.uk more recently as it shows more military aircraft  :y

Do you think that "the authorities" will allow all military aircraft operations to show on this public site?   I would not be surprised if there is some kind of blocking going on for those 'sensitive' operations by the RAF and the USAF ;)

I will just highlight the important word here.....  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2021, 09:46:06 »

With the right software it's possible to track almost anything nowadays. The best systems don't rely on Mode S/ADSB any more.

https://i.postimg.cc/xC2jKp1f/U2demo.gif

Every U2 flight in/out of the UK for the past year has been tracked. There is currently one orbiting over south wales with some sort of problem waiting to land back where it came from when the fog lifts.

What is now attracting attention are the covert police operations. 'They' appear to be using civilian registered twin aircraft, and orbiting sites of special interest for several hours at a time. One theory is that the aircraft are carrying 4th/5th Gen phone 'masts' and acting as piggy in the middle interceptors to detect bad guys using burner phones.   

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2021, 10:23:10 »

2 RAF training ?
Savage 11 + 12

Is there another RAF display team or are these still part of the Red Arrows?

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2021, 10:30:11 »

They are Hawk's  Same plane as Red's but proper military use / training rather than display, we have them frequently here.

RAF pilots tend to start in Texan's around here (based at Valley), then move to the Hawks.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2021, 12:35:26 »

Savage callsign is used by 100Sqn based at RAF Leeming in Yorkshire. They aren't a training squadron themselves. One of their roles is to fly as 'aggressors', which means they play the baddies in war games allowing front line fighter units (and warships) to practice intercepting a target which is 'fighting' to get away, or maneuvering to try and shoot you down.

100Sqn are the only RAF unit other than the Red Arrows still flying the Hawk T1 - Training at RAF Valley is done using the much newer Hawk T2. The only other unit still flying the Hawk T1 is 736 NAS at RNAS Culdrose, who use the Hawk to simulate missile attacks on RN Warships whilst the warships are working up for deployment.

The retirement of all Hawk T1 (except for the Reds) was announced in the Defence Review last month, so the future for 100 Sqn and 736 NAS is uncertain/bleak. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2021, 12:44:28 »

With the right software it's possible to track almost anything nowadays. The best systems don't rely on Mode S/ADSB any more.

Every U2 flight in/out of the UK for the past year has been tracked. There is currently one orbiting over south wales with some sort of problem waiting to land back where it came from when the fog lifts.

What is now attracting attention are the covert police operations. 'They' appear to be using civilian registered twin aircraft, and orbiting sites of special interest for several hours at a time. One theory is that the aircraft are carrying 4th/5th Gen phone 'masts' and acting as piggy in the middle interceptors to detect bad guys using burner phones.   
This seems to bother you ??? Paranoid perhaps?

Of course, it could also be flights carrying out runway or air navigation surveys, or pilot training. Any number of reasons for aircraft to be doing pretty much anything.

And besides, it isn't as though various agencies haven't been using various aircraft for various things for decades. And any non military aircraft are on the CAA registry (or the equivalent if registered elsewhere) ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2021, 13:03:55 »

This seems to bother you ??? Paranoid perhaps?

Of course, it could also be flights carrying out runway or air navigation surveys, or pilot training. Any number of reasons for aircraft to be doing pretty much anything.

And besides, it isn't as though various agencies haven't been using various aircraft for various things for decades. And any non military aircraft are on the CAA registry (or the equivalent if registered elsewhere) ;D

True, but flying in controlled airspace with all civilian transponders turned off (Modes A, C and S), whilst responding to military IFF interrogation is unusual for aircraft on the CAA registry. If you or I tried that we'd have a Typhoon up our jacksie fairly swiftly.

I suppose it could just be a coincidence that 'new' mobile cells pop up whilst this is happening, and those mobile mast appear to move with the aircraft in question.

I don't need to be paranioid because I know they're after me. And I don't own a mobile phone, so these tactics don't bother me  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 April 2021, 13:04:58 »

Yet here you are, typing on the interweb ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2021, 13:16:10 »

Savage callsign is used by 100Sqn based at RAF Leeming in Yorkshire. They aren't a training squadron themselves. One of their roles is to fly as 'aggressors', which means they play the baddies in war games allowing front line fighter units (and warships) to practice intercepting a target which is 'fighting' to get away, or maneuvering to try and shoot you down.

100Sqn are the only RAF unit other than the Red Arrows still flying the Hawk T1 - Training at RAF Valley is done using the much newer Hawk T2. The only other unit still flying the Hawk T1 is 736 NAS at RNAS Culdrose, who use the Hawk to simulate missile attacks on RN Warships whilst the warships are working up for deployment.

The retirement of all Hawk T1 (except for the Reds) was announced in the Defence Review last month, so the future for 100 Sqn and 736 NAS is uncertain/bleak.

They are although one short at the moment ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2021, 14:01:21 »

I have been using Freedar.uk more recently as it shows more military aircraft  :y
:y :y

There are days when there are loads of Gliders active in the Hull area, facinateing seeing the trails they leave. ::)

;D
They don't come as far south as Hull / Humber due to the lack of thermals
They take off from Pocklington and tend to float around the Vale of York  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2021, 17:05:22 »

There are days when there are loads of Gliders active in the Hull area, facinateing seeing the trails they leave. ::)

;D

There are thermals everywhere on a good day.
The main factors are wind direction and airspace,  assuming they're not ridge soaring which is obviously  confined to the right ground features.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2021, 17:48:47 »

;D

The main factors are wind direction and airspace,  assuming they're not ridge soaring which is obviously  confined to the right ground features.

Hi Kev
Are you still gliding ?

I'd have thought it would have been a bit dead on the thermal front with the flat ground and with the cooler Humber in the middle  :-\
I know there is a east / west flight corridor that comes right over the top of Hull.
We also get quite a few military aircraft transiting north / south under the flight path  :)
I was sat near the Humber bridge last month watching a couple of Typhoons playing / burning fuel up  :)
I take it fuel is less expensive then tyres nowadays  ;D
I know that the old lightnings was always burning any excess off before dropping back into Binbrook back in the day  :y
Not like they had much fuel to waste in the first place  ;D   

I've been watching the Air sea rescue S92's out of Humberside Airport on Flight Radar myself quite a bit.
They tend to transit north @2000ft / 135 knots north upto a training spot just north of the Whitby coast late at night a few times a week then back home over the top of my house.
Noisy buggers  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 April 2021, 19:19:50 »

;D

Hi Kev
Are you still gliding ?

I'd have thought it would have been a bit dead on the thermal front with the flat ground and with the cooler Humber in the middle  :-\
I know there is a east / west flight corridor that comes right over the top of Hull.
We also get quite a few military aircraft transiting north / south under the flight path  :)
I was sat near the Humber bridge last month watching a couple of Typhoons playing / burning fuel up  :)
I take it fuel is less expensive then tyres nowadays  ;D
I know that the old lightnings was always burning any excess off before dropping back into Binbrook back in the day  :y
Not like they had much fuel to waste in the first place  ;D   

I've been watching the Air sea rescue S92's out of Humberside Airport on Flight Radar myself quite a bit.
They tend to transit north @2000ft / 135 knots north upto a training spot just north of the Whitby coast late at night a few times a week then back home over the top of my house.
Noisy buggers  ;D

Yes, just started up gliding again last weekend after lockdown grounded us.
Complex airspace does tend to keep gliders away, since you can't plan with the precision that a spam can can. ;)
I think there's a danger area along the coast there up to something daft like 60k feet+, so that explains the fast jet antics.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2021, 19:52:22 »

Are there still the ranges north of The Wash?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 April 2021, 20:05:38 »

Are there still the ranges north of The Wash?

You have Wainfleet which is just south of Skegness.
Iirc that's pretty much closed down now and Donna Nook which is near Grimsby again I think it is deactivated.
The only one I KNOW around there which is active is Holbeach which is just south of Boston.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.