Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh dear  (Read 6273 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2021, 10:08:31 »

The adaptive speed limiter legislation is not yet fully ratified, in simple terms, the current proposal is one that defaults on but can be turned off at every ignition cycle (many cars already have them but they default off or to the last known setting)   :y

The internal info on Renault is that its a bit of a cost save approach to, legally you must fit tyres rated to the cars top speed, limit the speed, fit lower rated tyres, save money.....

Yep, and I assume why the traditional spare wheel is gradually disappearing. Reduced weight, reduced emissions and reduced costs.

Another factor is that even small cars now have large diameter wheels, and there simply isn't space to fit something that needs a hole 700mm across by 250mm deep.

Actually, the major factor these days is that only about 2% of car drivers can actually change a wheel, rendering it bloody useless in most cases  :y

Everyone of them could get somebody else to do it for them. Which isn't possible when the cure for a flat tyre is an expensive, time consuming recovery to a new tyre. Add up the costs of that, and any potential economy savings from the weight reduction are gone even during business hours.

The car buyer never received the cost saving; the manufacturer got all of that.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2021, 11:14:39 »

JDM cars have had similar fitted for decades.
Can't have done, traffic sign recognition wasn't around then.
Maybe not but they have been speed limited for decades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_domestic_market :-X
Yes, I know, but that was only a part of the article  :-X
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2021, 11:18:16 »

I buy a space saver for every car I buy, and I am so averse to being caught in the dark/wet with no more than a (probably out of date) bottle of goo, that no room for a spare means no purchase of the car.
If people are so useless that they can't change a wheel, what chance do they have with the goo?
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2021, 11:38:15 »

I buy a space saver for every car I buy, and I am so averse to being caught in the dark/wet with no more than a (probably out of date) bottle of goo, that no room for a spare means no purchase of the car.
If people are so useless that they can't change a wheel, what chance do they have with the goo?

Its legislation tick box..........  :y

I always have a spare generally on a car, but I know what to do with one (well, on cars where a spare fits!)

The standard approach these days is to get breakdown in.

In fact people call the breakdown for anything, its not unusual to see a roadside assist for low washer fluid!
« Last Edit: 29 April 2021, 14:33:32 by Marks DTM Calib »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 April 2021, 11:41:13 »

The adaptive speed limiter legislation is not yet fully ratified, in simple terms, the current proposal is one that defaults on but can be turned off at every ignition cycle (many cars already have them but they default off or to the last known setting)   :y

The internal info on Renault is that its a bit of a cost save approach to, legally you must fit tyres rated to the cars top speed, limit the speed, fit lower rated tyres, save money.....

Yep, and I assume why the traditional spare wheel is gradually disappearing. Reduced weight, reduced emissions and reduced costs.

Another factor is that even small cars now have large diameter wheels, and there simply isn't space to fit something that needs a hole 700mm across by 250mm deep.

Actually, the major factor these days is that only about 2% of car drivers can actually change a wheel, rendering it bloody useless in most cases  :y

Everyone of them could get somebody else to do it for them. Which isn't possible when the cure for a flat tyre is an expensive, time consuming recovery to a new tyre. Add up the costs of that, and any potential economy savings from the weight reduction are gone even during business hours.

The car buyer never received the cost saving; the manufacturer got all of that.

And again, the cost of which is not one paid for by the car manufacturer   :y

At the moment the costs saves here end up being spent other must haves such as ADAS  ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 April 2021, 11:51:11 »

Talking of costs, I'm going to start a new thread.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 April 2021, 13:08:54 »

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-9512583/New-Renault-Dacia-models-speeds-limited-112mph.html

The decision by Volvo - and now Renault - comes as new rules, provisionally agreed by the EU in 2019, could see Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) systems become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from next year.

The Department for Transport say that the UK will also make the same requirements of new models, despite Brexit.

The nanny state should be part of TB's cull. :(

My car has a limiter, but because it has the optional 'speed pack' which originally cost it's first owner £2500, it is set at 186 MPH.

One good thing. Since the remap by Viezu, the soft limiter set at 4000 RPM, is no longer there. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 April 2021, 19:00:06 »

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-9512583/New-Renault-Dacia-models-speeds-limited-112mph.html

The decision by Volvo - and now Renault - comes as new rules, provisionally agreed by the EU in 2019, could see Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) systems become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from next year.

The Department for Transport say that the UK will also make the same requirements of new models, despite Brexit.

My car has a limiter, but because it has the optional 'speed pack' which originally cost it's first owner £2500, it is set at 186 MPH.

One good thing. Since the remap by Viezu, the soft limiter set at 4000 RPM, is no longer there. :y

So has mine, apparently, but I've no idea how to use it. Good job it doesn't default to on, because it picked up a 10 MPH limit sign in a side road with roadworks at 60 MPH on my commute the other day and kept flashing away at 10 MPH for several miles before it found a NSL sign. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 April 2021, 19:34:56 »

So has mine, apparently, but I've no idea how to use it. Good job it doesn't default to on, because it picked up a 10 MPH limit sign in a side road with roadworks at 60 MPH on my commute the other day and kept flashing away at 10 MPH for several miles before it found a NSL sign. ;D
It won't be long before your car is reporting you to the police  ;D
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 April 2021, 21:59:05 »

It won't be long before your car is reporting you to the police  ;D
The stories it could tell. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 April 2021, 23:09:15 »

Its legislation tick box..........  :y

I always have a spare generally on a car, but I know what to do with one (well, on cars where a spare fits!)

The standard approach these days is to get breakdown in.

In fact people call the breakdown for anything, its not unusual to see a roadside assist for low washer fluid!

There are cars that have a spacesaver spare, but the wheel you take off doesn't fit anywhere sensible. The mk1 TT and Beetles are like that. You have to put the original wheel on the passenger seat. Porsche 911s are similar. The first XC90s have a spacesaver in a cradle under the car, but the flat doesn't fit in it; instead you wrap the wheel in the bag supplied and put it in the boot. Cars fitted with the factory bodykit and twin exhausts don't have the cradle.

I've replaced spacesaver spares with a full sized one on several cars.

I went to one car with a flat that was still on the woman's drive. It wasn't a puncture, but was so badly worn it would no longer hold air. When I spotted that, I checked the other side, to find it too was worn through to the belts. When she asked if the tyre was repairable I declined to fit the spare as it was clear she would drive her leased company car until the other tyre failed. She claimed to be an engineer....

My best stupid comment was a non-start. When I told him the cause, the owner insisted it couldn't be a flat battery "because this is a BMW!" It was a 10 year old 316 that looked like the last time the bonnet had been opened was for the PDI.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 April 2021, 06:42:12 »

The Boxster is another case of nowhere to store the wheel if you fit the space saver. Im not even certain a rear wheel from mine would fit in the passenger seat.
Saw some pics of something a guy rigged up so he could strap a wheel to the bootlid, but seemed a lot of faffing around.
It would be a breakdown callout if I get a puncture. Particularly as the car currently doesnt even have a jack on board.
Porsche versions go for around £75 second hand !
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 April 2021, 07:12:59 »

...She claimed to be an engineer....

Doesn't everyone, these days? >:(

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 April 2021, 07:49:31 »

The Boxster is another case of nowhere to store the wheel if you fit the space saver. Im not even certain a rear wheel from mine would fit in the passenger seat.
Saw some pics of something a guy rigged up so he could strap a wheel to the bootlid, but seemed a lot of faffing around.
It would be a breakdown callout if I get a puncture. Particularly as the car currently doesnt even have a jack on board.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/99109/flat-tyres-are-the-top-cause-of-car-breakdown-call-outs
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 April 2021, 13:00:37 »

Where are the  pictures?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.