Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OOF Memories  (Read 4603 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
I like red cars

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: OOF Memories
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2021, 10:03:40 »

Heres a few random pics from some various meets, the spirit of OOF :

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2021, 10:58:04 »

Super photographs there ....
I never got to any of the meets due to geographical limitations ...
I do remember many of the early contributors to the site though of which much missed Cem and the lovely Debs stand out .
Oh, and some of the threads that caused near armageddon .

We've come a long way .  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2021, 11:01:32 »

Look how badly you've all aged in fifteen years :o

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 July 2021, 11:27:14 »

Look how badly you've all aged in fifteen years :o

2 biggest there now starting driving themselves

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 July 2021, 12:36:56 »

Bob Dent's omega was always the best on parade. As for Tunnie bringing his grandads car...... ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2021, 12:39:05 »

Most of my driving life has been driving Vauxhalls.My Dad was a Vauxhall man and brought me up on the gospel of Vauxhalls are better than Fords.
When my beloved Senator inevitably succumbed to the dreaded tinworm I bought my first Omega. A prefecalift 2.5 V6, CD.
I soon regretted it as it had lots of problems that I didnt know how to solve. I was close to cutting my losses and getting rid of it, but decided to have a search around this new interweb thing to see if I could find solutions to some of its problems.
I stumbled across the Omega Owners Forum - I never knew such things existed - about a year after it was set up, and immediately became hooked.
The answers to all my car problems were there, and advice when I got stuck was always in plentiful supply.
More than that though, the fun and banter was something to behold. I still remember well staying up later than I should the night before early starts, because I was splitting my sides laughing at the banter with Loo-Knee, STEMO, Mike Dundee, Captain Zok and quite a few others.
The atmosphere as well as the info on OOF was superb.
Its perhaps inevitable, given human nature, that after a while arguments started. Often about politics, but also other stuff too.
It is to my eternal regret that I allowed myself to get drawn into quite a few of the arguments, which became more and more personal, and this eventually soured the atmosphere for a lot of members.
Im older and less of an angry bloke now, and most of the time can take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard. We live and learn.  ::)
I managed to sort all of the issues with my first Omega, thanks to the forum. Even managed to swap the autobox on my drive by myself, and changed the oil cooler too, as well as the standard stuff like breathers, camcover gaskets etc.
In my "accident prone since childhood" way though, I still have a scar on my hand from dropping the old autobox on it, and scalded both arms from boiling coolant when I drained it from a hot engine, to flush the oil out of the cooling system.
Christ that was bloody painful ! ;D
A  year or so into my membership I lost my job of 20 years, but managed to find another, lower paid job. I then started buying broken Omegas and breaking them for parts.
This was very useful in two ways. It helped me keep my head above water when I really needed it, and I got to meet a lot of members, most of whom were very decent and interesting people.
I spat my dummy and deleted my account a several years ago. Cant really remember why, but I rejoined about a year later, and am very glad I did so.
I have had a few Omegas since the first one that I initially hated, and currently have my beloved 3.2 Elite, which is almost just how I have always wanted an Omega to be.
I have no sensible reason to keep it, but I cant bring myself to get rid of it. Not only would I be parting with a lovely old car, but almost certainly cutting my lifetimes ties with Vauxhall, which really would be the end of an era for me.
Those earlier halcyon days are gone now unfortunately. Omegas are few and far between, so the forum is much quieter,( which must be good for admin stress levels), and Im too old and knackered for dismantling cars on my drive.
Its still a nice place to spend time though, and I will always remember those early days which were so much fun.
It was like a family / community, with all the good and bad things that come with that. But mostly good.
Much praise should be heaped on TB and his fellow admins for running the show for all these years, which have provided so much for so many people over the years. 
Thanks guys.  :y :y :y

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2021, 12:46:13 »

I always thought you were a gang of twáts, and the passing of the years only reinforced this view.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2021, 16:34:51 »

Afternoon one and all, long time no speak ;)

I remember the split from the other Vauxhall site and I'm glad it happened because i've never had so much car related fun as the forum created. I've travelled the length of the country to meets, doing the odd repair or buying Omegas and i've met some brilliant people while doing so. It's funny really because it was only last week I remembered Photobucket and went on the site to see all the Omegas i've owned over the years and it's got to be over 30. I typed in a few reg numbers on the MOT website and most haven't survived :'(

I've enjoyed all the meets i've been too but I think my favorite was at Timbuks in Telford, much good work was done that weekend.

I still nip in for a quick nose around now and again, hope you're all fit and healthy :y
« Last Edit: 11 July 2021, 16:42:13 by Elite Pete »
Retired

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 July 2021, 16:36:04 »

Afternoon one and all, hope you're all well. Long time no speak.  ;)

Hi Stranger ....  :y :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 July 2021, 16:43:33 »

How's things Andy.

I forgot how to work the forum so ended up posting before I had finished  ::) ;D ;D
Retired

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 July 2021, 16:52:59 »

Now then, Pete, still got that big hammer?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 July 2021, 16:54:29 »

How's things Andy.

I forgot how to work the forum so ended up posting before I had finished  ::) ;D ;D

Hi Pete :y
I like red cars

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 July 2021, 17:03:54 »

I will never forget EP taking a panicked phonecall the first time I changed a cambelt because I couldn't get the engine to turn over from the crank. :o

Apparently leaving it in gear wasn't helpful  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 July 2021, 17:10:55 »

I will never forget EP taking a panicked phonecall the first time I changed a cambelt because I couldn't get the engine to turn over from the crank. :o

Apparently leaving it in gear wasn't helpful  ;D

Wait until you spend all Sunday afternoon trying increasingly desperate repairs because you can't get the lights to work. When we were called for dinner, my mate told his mum we'd be in as soon as we reconnected the battery.... ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.