Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1995 rear brake back dust shield undo  (Read 5382 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: 1995 rear brake back dust shield undo
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2021, 15:02:30 »

New plates seem to be readily available (albeit pattern) and they all seem to be the earlier style. As on carltons,calibra etc. (Pin from front)not seen any of the later type for sale ?
Don't know if they are 100% interchangeable ?
They are prone to rusting especially around the cable return Spring hole and the pin holes .and changing the plate means (sensibly if not necessary) changing the wheel bearing too .likewise if doing a rear bearing you would be well advised to examine the backplate thoroughly at the time.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2021, 15:21:29 »

Found a pair of back plates to fit Calibra, a pair to fit Senator. Both of these are from Germany and cost £130.08 plus £10.08 Services from outside UK. Also a pair of Omega ones £150 plus £12.00 Services from outside UK. From the same place. All of them the pins locks into the back plate, not the newer type where they come through it.

From what I have been told, my 95 Omega was waiting around in a warehouse for a while. So might not be a 95, was just registered from new as a 95? Did the earlier Omegas, use parts possibly from Senators for back brakes?

Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2021, 16:23:51 »

Found a pair of back plates to fit Calibra, a pair to fit Senator. Both of these are from Germany and cost £130.08 plus £10.08 Services from outside UK. Also a pair of Omega ones £150 plus £12.00 Services from outside UK. From the same place. All of them the pins locks into the back plate, not the newer type where they come through it.

From what I have been told, my 95 Omega was waiting around in a warehouse for a while. So might not be a 95, was just registered from new as a 95? Did the earlier Omegas, use parts possibly from Senators for back brakes?

Yes. The preface-lift Omega B is basically a Carlton/Senator D/E. Infact, the Carlton was sold as an Omega A in euroland.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2021, 17:58:50 »

The backplate part numbers for the Omega B are different to the earlier version used on Omega A/Carlton, Senator B, Calibra and Vectra A, suggesting that they are not interchangeable. So in theory the Senator parts can't be used on your car.
Whether or not they can be modified and made to fit your car is a different matter. You need somebody who has actually done this to confirm.

The modification of inserting the shoe pins from the rear of the backplate applies to the earlier cars as well as Omega B. It's independent of the actual backplate fitted. Hence the revised pins with the cup washers will work on your car but you need to loosen the backplate bolts and move the plate outwards to fit the revised pins. Then move it back and bolt it up again. The bolts require an M10 XZN long (triple square) bit.

For Omega A/ Carlton, Senator B, Calibra & Vectra A
90222355 = LH Rear Brake Flange
90222356 = RH Rear Brake Flange

For Omega B
These are the backplates currently fitted to your car assuming the factory backplates were never previously changed.
90374615 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH (NLS.- USE 9156092 5 43 072)
90474616 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH (NLS.- USE 9156093 5 43 073)

The backplates were then superseded by these.
9156092 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH (NLS.- USE 24436738 5 43 081 AND SUPPLY 24428129 5 43 302,24445691 5 46 211)
9156093 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH (NLS.- USE 24436739 5 43 082 AND SUPPLY 24428129 5 43 302,24445691 5 46 211)

The above backplates were then superseded with these.
24436738 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH
24436739 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH

However to fit the above backplates you also need two each of the below seals.
24428129 = GASKET,PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER
24445691 = BOOT,LEVER,BRAKE CABLE (RUBBER)
« Last Edit: 13 August 2021, 18:01:56 by Enceladus »

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2021, 14:19:41 »

Succeeded to find original GM 24436739 from Germany and for the other side unbranded one from Finnish supplier. Both are that style where pin is put from front.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 August 2021, 15:39:28 »

What part number was the unbranded one supposed to match? 24436738 to fit an Omega B?

Or was it sold as fitting an Omega A, Senator B, Vectra A & Calibra?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 August 2021, 15:42:49 »

They're obviously sides, so expect a different part number left and right...
Onanists always think outside the box.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2021, 15:50:50 »

What part number was the unbranded one supposed to match? 24436738 to fit an Omega B?

Yes, I bought that to my Omega B. I could put them one upon another and take the new pic. I think they are similar (L&R).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2021, 16:02:11 »

Your picture is perfectly clear :y

The difference between them being the slot for the parking brake lever is below the hub... The right one in the picture is 24436738 is the right hand one and it would therefore be reasonable to assume (without looking because I CBA) that 24436739 is the left hand one... ;)

Corrected.

« Last Edit: 15 August 2021, 16:17:46 by Doctor Gollum »

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2021, 16:14:58 »

The difference between them being the slot for the parking brake lever is below the hub... The left one in the picture is actually the right hand one and vice versa so 24436738 is the left hand one and it would therefore be reasonable to assume (without looking because I CBA) that 24436739 is the right hand one... ;)

Yes, they are upside down but left one in picture is for the left side of the car I guess...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2021, 16:18:35 »

The difference between them being the slot for the parking brake lever is below the hub... The left one in the picture is actually the right hand one and vice versa so 24436738 is the left hand one and it would therefore be reasonable to assume (without looking because I CBA) that 24436739 is the right hand one... ;)

Yes, they are upside down but left one in picture is for the left side of the car I guess...
You are correct, I hadn't initially realised that the face shown is the diff side not the wheel side ;)

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2021, 16:22:07 »

You are correct, I hadn't initially realised that the face shown is the diff side not the wheel side ;)

Yes, picture is from "wrong side" just wanted to show the label without removing it.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 August 2021, 18:02:55 »

Yes, I bought that to my Omega B. I could put them one upon another and take the new pic. I think they are similar (L&R).
So you bought the unbranded backplate as fitting an Omega B, which is fine.

However member addy asked about using Senator backplates on his Omega B? So what's still not answered is whether or not Omega A/Senator B/Vectra A/Calibra backplates can be used on an Omega B? EPC suggests not as they have differnent part numbers.

The old style Omega B pivot pins, with the crosshead, fit into the backplate from the outboard side. The new pins with no crosshead fit through the backplate from the inboard side. Either pin can be used. No need to change or upgrade the backplate. unless damaged. However to fit the newer style pins, without the crosshead, you need to loosen the four bolts and temporarily move the plate outwards so the pins can be installed. That's the GM service instruction.

The same service instruction is true of the Omega A/Senator B/Vectra A/Calibra pivot pins. The new style pins can be used by inserting them from the back of the plate.

Member addy shouldn't need to change his plates unless the locking slot is too damaged or corroded. There is no need to upgrade the pins for the new type if the plates are in good condition. Is's just that the new pin type, inserted from the back, are less likely to pull through the plate as they have a bigger contact area.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 August 2021, 00:22:47 »

So you bought the unbranded backplate as fitting an Omega B, which is fine.

However member addy asked about using Senator backplates on his Omega B? So what's still not answered is whether or not Omega A/Senator B/Vectra A/Calibra backplates can be used on an Omega B? EPC suggests not as they have differnent part numbers.

The old style Omega B pivot pins, with the crosshead, fit into the backplate from the outboard side. The new pins with no crosshead fit through the backplate from the inboard side. Either pin can be used. No need to change or upgrade the backplate. unless damaged. However to fit the newer style pins, without the crosshead, you need to loosen the four bolts and temporarily move the plate outwards so the pins can be installed. That's the GM service instruction.

The same service instruction is true of the Omega A/Senator B/Vectra A/Calibra pivot pins. The new style pins can be used by inserting them from the back of the plate.

Member addy shouldn't need to change his plates unless the locking slot is too damaged or corroded. There is no need to upgrade the pins for the new type if the plates are in good condition. Is's just that the new pin type, inserted from the back, are less likely to pull through the plate as they have a bigger contact area.
I definitely didn't loosen the 4 triple square bolts when I put the pins in from behind - I didn't have the tool to undo them. Quite how I managed it I can't remember, I think I spent a long time trying to feed the pin in from underneath the trailing arm before trying from above and then it just slipped in ::)
On the subject of service instructions...... I have lost count of the times I have followed Haynes and spent days doing a 5 minute job, hopefully the GM service instructions are more accurate :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2021, 02:48:04 »

On the subject of service instructions...... I have lost count of the times I have followed Haynes and spent days doing a 5 minute job, hopefully the GM service instructions are more accurate :-\

They're German, so they certainly won't be simpler.

For instance, have you seen the GM tool for changing rear wheel bearings?  ???

A Japanese engineer(for example) would have made the timing belt tools much simpler too.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.