Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: x3 Omegas - New Zealand  (Read 7630 times)

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
x3 Omegas - New Zealand
« on: 26 August 2021, 12:19:47 »

Hi all,

Thought id use this thread to track/show progress to my fleet of Omegas I have collected. This post will be for my 1st one.

Growing up in Bristol England, my dad had many Omegas and naturally have always loved them!
Moving to NZ, obviously Omegas are extremely rare out here (Only 23 with live plates!) and not at all interested in the Commodores.

Searching listings online for Omegas everyday for 11 years! A silver facelift saloon came up for sale and had to have it. 3.0 MV6 spec but being Opel it wasn't as well specced as the Vauxhall equivalent.

Got it transported from Marlbourough, NZ (About a 7 hour drive from where I am in Timaru) and here it was when I first got it.

A bit rough up close and running rather rough but with a bit of TLC and some new spark plugs, came up pretty good and runs perfect!!

My favourite part of the Omegas has always been the Elite/MV6 wing so had to get one imported from the UK. I put up a post on here and a member was willing to ship one out to me!

Here is a photo of it sat again the boot lid, much better!

Got it painted and glued on and happy with the result!

Next was to find some Elite wheels. Obviously we didn't get these in NZ and Commodores didn't really have anything close so had to look else where.
Then I came across these,

18" Land Rover Discovery wheels. Had to get some adaptors as well as some skinnier tyres and should look mint.

Next was to lower the car down as it sat quite high and was a bit boaty for my liking so found some BMW springs that fit quite well and were captive! Here it is with the wheels and springs installed.

Really happy with how it looks and drives!

general fitness goals

Next thing was to get rid of the cloth interior, I had managed to find a MV6 Estate with a blown engine local to me with a leather interior! Chucked the front seats in and plugged straight in! Rear seats are different but will be getting the cloth rear seats retried. Door panels look like they will fit the sedan.

With the car pretty much how I wanted it, last thing was to give it a cut and polish and the paintwork came out fantastic (given the age of the car).
This is how it sits currently.

Have a big list of replacement parts waiting to arrive in the next month or so to restore/tidy up the car and will update progress as it happpens.

Other future plans for this Omega (If the opportunities ever came up) would be a pro drive MV6 front bumper, fresh coat of paint and an Irmscher steering wheel  :o
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: x3 Omegas - New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2021, 12:25:12 »

That's looking really great, they were a very good looking car really wish I'd kept my 2.6 but didn't have space at the time.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2021, 12:27:46 »

A few months later, I managed to get hold of a pretty rare one, especially here in NZ....

An Ex UK Plod Vauxhall Omega Estate 3.2 Manual!

This will probably be the only Manual Omega in NZ, probably even the only 3.2 from what I can find! It has the original UK plate written on the inside on the locknut box and would love to find a photo of this particular Omega with all the decals on!

As you can see, its sitting on really low springs but did come with the Ex Police Springs which will be going back on soon.

Plans for this one is to tidy it up and just keep it in stock form, it currently has a hefty oil leak on the front of the motor and looks like an absolute nightmare to do!
2001 Omega MV6 Sedan, 2003 Omega 3.2 Manual Estate Ex Plod, 1998 Omega CD Sedan, 2002 Omega MV6 Estate

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2021, 12:49:50 »

Having 3 Facelifts (1 being a parts car), I still wanted a Pre Facelift Saloon.

Eventually I got a lead on a 2.5 CD Saloon that has been sat in a field for 10 years with a blown gearbox. Apart from the mould, its pretty tidy all considering.

Trailered it home and after a decent clean and after swapping the wheels out for the factory Opel wheels from my MV6, came out good!

First issue was I could get the thing running. Luckily I had the parts car I bought a few months back. After replacing plugs and leads, fuel and fuel filter, fuel pump and oil and filter, it coughed into like! Still a wee bit rough but not bad considering it hasn't ran in 10 years.

Next issue was obviously the blown gearbox. The AR25 trans that was in it had no drive left at all so we ripped the AR35 out of the parts car and chucked in the prefacelift.

Few hours later, drove home under its own steam!

Now it was running, time for some cosmetic mods. Same as the facelift, I wanted an Elite spoiler so same thing again, put up a post on here and another member came through! Not just a spoiler but also an Irmscher style grill!

Got some more BMW springs and also chucked on some spare BMW wheels I had laying around until I can find some more suitable ones.

And this is how it sits currently. Plan with this one is to continue tidying it up and just enjoy it. Main things that need doing is replace the cam cover gaskets and new rear muffler.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2021, 13:57:22 »

Superb collection of vehicles.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2021, 14:59:14 »

Not into the lowering bit myself,but each to their own and fair play to you for getting them as you want them.The one thing i definitely agree with you on is the boot spoiler,they look so much better with them on :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2021, 16:40:59 »

What's the original registration of the white estate?
Onanists always think outside the box.

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2021, 21:07:10 »

What's the original registration of the white estate?

I think it was KY53 WVA,

Also does any know what this "Bellinger" sticker is?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2021, 21:35:29 »

Probably ex Northamptonshire Police. Been out of the UK since 2008 from tax/mot records. First keeper change was 2005, so plod plus one uk owner.  8)

Bellinger was a VX main dealer in Wantage, quite possibly had it retailed as a part ex to have the sticker on it.

Makes sense as the chances are it left the police via West Oxfordshire Motor Auctions  :y

I know my first ex plod, a '51 plate was sold off the forecourt by my local VX dealer in 2006 when I chopped it in against a year old Vectra estate.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2021, 13:09:03 »

Very nice but you now need a pair of smoke/tinted indicator repeaters instead of the orange  :y

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2021, 13:46:05 »

Probably ex Northamptonshire Police. Been out of the UK since 2008 from tax/mot records. First keeper change was 2005, so plod plus one uk owner.  8)

Bellinger was a VX main dealer in Wantage, quite possibly had it retailed as a part ex to have the sticker on it.

Makes sense as the chances are it left the police via West Oxfordshire Motor Auctions  :y

I know my first ex plod, a '51 plate was sold off the forecourt by my local VX dealer in 2006 when I chopped it in against a year old Vectra estate.

That makes sense, thank you for the info!

Narrows it down a wee bit, maybe one day ill find an old photo of it in commission....

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2021, 13:47:02 »

Very nice but you now need a pair of smoke/tinted indicator repeaters instead of the orange  :y

Currently in transit en route to me in New Zealand, along with some other little goodies  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2021, 15:23:27 »

Currently in transit en route to me in New Zealand, along with some other little goodies  :D

:y :y :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2021, 19:11:02 »

JiMbOb789

• Omega Knight
  • Timaru, New Zealand
    • x4 Omegas
    • View Profile

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 August 2021, 16:04:15 »

Excellent. Really enjoyed your account.

Pretty rare cars in your country.

Are consumables available like idler arms, wishbones, camshaft sensors?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.