Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin rotor helicopters  (Read 2593 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Twin rotor helicopters
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2021, 15:57:15 »

Following on from last post. Saw a 4 engine WW11 bomber go over Bury St. Eds. at 1.30pm today. I think it was a Lanc. but as it was going away when i saw it, it could have been a Halifax, (if any are still flying). Anyone else seen it or have any info? Now, that WAS interesting.  :D

The only 4 engine bombers in Europe are the BBMF's Lancaster, and B-17 Sally B. Both are at Duxford at the moment, and I don't think (though I'm far from sure) either have flown recently. There are no Halifax's or Stirlings flying anywhere in the world - and there are only one or two in museums.  The Lanc is down to attend Bournemouth airshow this weekend, but it's been in rework at Duxford for ages so I don't know if it'll be ready. Therefore the Lancaster is a possibility, but I'd expect it to be all over the forums once it flies again and so far nada.

The other possibility is a C-130 - plenty of them in/around Bury-SE - in which case specsavers and a new I-spy book for you too :-)
Cheeky sod  ;D I might be an old fart but my eyes ain't that bad. If i can't tell the difference between a Lanc and a Herc i'd better shoot myself. Oh, i might miss though. :D Was going to phone the IWM at Duxford, but not at 60 odd pence a minute plus a connection fee. >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2021, 16:24:28 »

Thanks .... it'll have been a Chinook then. Obviously it's been a while since I've seen one so close up  ::)

I don't know about how other twin rotored helicopters sound, but the Chinook is unmistakable and great! :D :y

We used to have a few flying over here from time to time when the Gurkha's were stationed in Folkestone, but they are a rare sight now. ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2021, 16:28:16 »

Following on from last post. Saw a 4 engine WW11 bomber go over Bury St. Eds. at 1.30pm today. I think it was a Lanc. but as it was going away when i saw it, it could have been a Halifax, (if any are still flying). Anyone else seen it or have any info? Now, that WAS interesting.  :D

The only 4 engine bombers in Europe are the BBMF's Lancaster, and B-17 Sally B. Both are at Duxford at the moment, and I don't think (though I'm far from sure) either have flown recently. There are no Halifax's or Stirlings flying anywhere in the world - and there are only one or two in museums.  The Lanc is down to attend Bournemouth airshow this weekend, but it's been in rework at Duxford for ages so I don't know if it'll be ready. Therefore the Lancaster is a possibility, but I'd expect it to be all over the forums once it flies again and so far nada.

The other possibility is a C-130 - plenty of them in/around Bury-SE - in which case specsavers and a new I-spy book for you too :-)
Cheeky sod  ;D I might be an old fart but my eyes ain't that bad. If i can't tell the difference between a Lanc and a Herc i'd better shoot myself. Oh, i might miss though. :D Was going to phone the IWM at Duxford, but not at 60 odd pence a minute plus a connection fee. >:(

Well, the Lanc was still at Duxford on Saturday evening. There were rumours it was going to depart on Sunday, but I don't think that happened.

There is a thread on UKAR about Duxford Movements. If/when it moves, it'll be on there. https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86801&start=200

Personally I doubt it's flown (there would be pictures everywhere on the forums), but I'm 150 miles away and I can't quite see from here. If it wasn't the Lanc, then I'm struggling to think of another 4 engined twin tail warbird in the UK. Perhaps Shakeng has something squirreled away in his own Highland Area51 that he's keeping strictly on a need-to-know basis :-)   

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2021, 16:33:07 »

Well, the Lanc was still at Duxford on Saturday evening. There were rumours it was going to depart on Sunday, but I don't think that happened.

There is a thread on UKAR about Duxford Movements. If/when it moves, it'll be on there. https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86801&start=200

Personally I doubt it's flown (there would be pictures everywhere on the forums), but I'm 150 miles away and I can't quite see from here. If it wasn't the Lanc, then I'm struggling to think of another 4 engined twin tail warbird in the UK. Perhaps Shakeng has something squirreled away in his own Highland Area51 that he's keeping strictly on a need-to-know basis :-)

Has AVRO SHACKLETON WR963 returned to the skies sooner than planned? :o :o ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2021, 18:46:21 »

Thanks .... it'll have been a Chinook then. Obviously it's been a while since I've seen one so close up  ::)

I don't know about how other twin rotored helicopters sound, but the Chinook is unmistakable and great! :D :y

We used to have a few flying over here from time to time when the Gurkha's were stationed in Folkestone, but they are a rare sight now. ;)
They didn't call them Wooka wookas for nothing. It was the sound of it that first made us look ....

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2021, 19:10:07 »

I get the "Wooka Wooka bird" and the apache,s flying over here almost nightly since May

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2021, 20:23:05 »

I get the "Wooka Wooka bird" and the apache,s flying over here almost nightly since May
Bringing hundreds of Afghans to sunny Essex.  :)
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2021, 20:29:59 »

Yep, fly right over the rooftop at work. Cant hear the bloody telly when they come over.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2021, 20:46:30 »

Yep, fly right over the rooftop at work. Cant hear the bloody telly when they come over.  ::) ;D
Sounds like a complaint is in order.
Diesel till I die

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2021, 21:00:01 »

Odiham's only about 10 miles from me, so plenty of wooka wooka action here.  :D

If they hadn't taken me for a jolly in one a couple of years back I'd complain about the noise. 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2021, 21:16:10 »

Weren't they once considered flying death traps?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2021, 21:25:38 »

Sounds like a complaint is in order.

Im going to see the union about it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 September 2021, 23:20:37 »

Only when flown in terrain in low visibility with no radar or terrain warning systems fitted :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 September 2021, 23:27:11 »

There have been a couple of unfortunate incidents, but on the whole they're liked by crews and by the RAF/MOD upper management. So much so we keep ordering more and more of them in dribs and drabs.

The first incident was the Mull of Kintyre crash which killed a load of senior intelligence officials returning from Northern Ireland. The initial board of inquiry blamed the crew, but many people believe it was a (well known) fault with the engine management computers. Too complicated to go into here, and pages and pages on it over on pprune.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Scotland_RAF_Chinook_crash

The second 'incident' was when some bean counter deleted a load of requirements from the spec (which may have been impossible to meet) for the order of a batch of 8 additional HC3 Chinooks ordered in 1995 for special forces work. The aircraft were delivered in 2001, but deemed 'unsafe' and so sat in the hangars at Boscombe Down for 8 years waiting for someone to work out how to 'fix' them, and how to pay for it. Eventually they were 'upgraded' back to HC2 standard  ::). Story under the HC3 bit on Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Chinook_(UK_variants)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2021, 00:41:52 »

another problem was with the forward gearbox.

Helicopters can normally autorotate, if they lose power,  to make a controlled landing. A chinook is reliant on the rotors being synchronised to prevent the blades hitting each other

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_British_International_Helicopters_Chinook_crash
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.